Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 19, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #5,911 of 8,735
Quote:
Got my SEL Lorenz's today, and i can confirm they are an absolutely perfect match for the HE5-LE.

They seem pretty neutral, but are very detailed, everything from bass-mids-treble sounds better.

Treble is the biggest improvement, sounds a lot smoother, not so bright, everything is so... balanced.

Bass has punch, Mids are rich.

This is my new favourite tube, and not even burned in yet! (not that i believe in burn-in, but each to their own.)

I must point out that my HE5-LE's are not completely stock, i removed the felt discs and the cable is some sort of unknown silver cable.

Here the thing. I think their my favorite too. 

But I keep putting these goddam OG's back in. Ugh. 

Mar 19, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #5,912 of 8,735
Quote:

If you couldn't get them for anythign but $150, would you pay that? 

Nah, diminishing returns and all that.

i nearly choked when i had to pay £35 for a pair of tubes, i've only been rolling the cheapo's so far.

I have a pair of Voshkod 6N1P's on the way for $13.59, that's how cheap i am usually.

Mar 19, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #5,913 of 8,735
Quote:

i nearly choked when i had to pay £35 for a pair of tubes, i've only been rolling the cheapo's so far.

I have a pair of Voshkod 6N1P's on the way for $13.59, that's how cheap i am usually.

I got my Amperex OGs for $40. Another pair for $15 which were untested random pulls, but one turned out to be dead. The seller was kind enough to send me another for a few $. Mostly because I didn't get around to testing them before his 14 day DOA return limit.  Well worth the money at $15-$50 a pair.

Mar 19, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #5,915 of 8,735
Quote:

Go to a meet if you can, try out the better tubes and you'll know the difference.

This is an expensive hobby and for sure there are pieces of kit that are expensive just for the hell of it with no real quality but, the genuine S&H CCa's, RTC E188ccs and some of the telefunken mazdas that are high price are worth every penny. You can hear the difference and if I hadn't seen such riches I could live with being poor (I quoted James there).
There are also real value for money tubes out there and the occasional bargain to be had but in general, you get what you pay for.
You have $1500 HD800's (according to your sig) but feed them $15 tubes. Makes no sense to me.

Mar 20, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #5,916 of 8,735
Quote:

For the Stuttgart Lorenz, yes, but not for the SEL's...

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Mar 20, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #5,917 of 8,735

Nope. I would pay that for a pair of JAN-CEP 6922 or 7308s though.

Mar 20, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #5,918 of 8,735
Mar 20, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #5,919 of 8,735
Got my Voshkod 6N1P's (Gold grids) today.... Wow!

These things sound amazing for the price.

Bass extends all the way down to the floor and is very impactful, treble is nice and sparkly albeit natural sounding, mids are a bit relaxed though. Very much a slight V shape going on here with the sound signature.

Sound stage i wouldn't call expansive, it's deffinately there, but a little more intimate than i would like.

They are very detailed, almost to the point of being clinically precise, but i like that.

I reckon these would go well with a neutral sounding headphone if you wanted to add a touch of colour to your sound, any 'phones with a lot of bass or sparkly treble are gonna be exaggerated.

Cost me $13.59 for a matched pair from ebay, absolute bargain in my book.

I rate these as joint 1st place in my collection of tubes so far.

1st= SEL Lorenz PCC88
1st= 6N1P Voshkod
3rd GE 6BZ7
4th 6N1P-VI Novosibirsk
5th RCA 6BQ7A Black plates

Mar 20, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #5,920 of 8,735
Quote:

Bass extends all the way down to the floor and is very impactful, treble is nice and sparkly albeit natural sounding, mids are a bit relaxed though. Very much a slight V shape going on here with the sound signature.

Sound stage i wouldn't call expansive, it's deffinately there, but a little more intimate than i would like.

They are very detailed, almost to the point of being clinically precise, but i like that.

I reckon these would go well with a neutral sounding headphone if you wanted to add a touch of colour to your sound, any 'phones with a lot of bass or sparkly treble are gonna be exaggerated.

1st= SEL Lorenz PCC88
1st= 6N1P Voshkod
3rd GE 6BZ7
4th 6N1P-VI Novosibirsk

Quote:

1st= SEL Lorenz PCC88
1st= 6N1P Voshkod
3rd GE 6BZ7
4th 6N1P-VI Novosibirsk

How long did tubes to get to you?  and who did you buy the tubes from? 

Mar 20, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #5,921 of 8,735
I bought them from this seller in Bulgaria http://stores.ebay.co.uk/LCI-Electronics?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

I ordered them on 8th March and got them today 20th March, so 12 days, would take longer to the US i think.

These are exact same as my pair http://www.ebay.com/itm/6N1P-GOLD-GRID-ECC88-Tubes-VOSKHOD-STRONG-MATCHED-PAIR-/310622906742?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item4852916976

Mar 20, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #5,922 of 8,735
Quote:
Go to a meet if you can, try out the better tubes and you'll know the difference.

This is an expensive hobby and for sure there are pieces of kit that are expensive just for the hell of it with no real quality but, the genuine S&H CCa's, RTC E188ccs and some of the telefunken mazdas that are high price are worth every penny. You can hear the difference and if I hadn't seen such riches I could live with being poor (I quoted James there).
There are also real value for money tubes out there and the occasional bargain to be had but in general, you get what you pay for.
You have $1500 HD800's (according to your sig) but feed them $15 tubes. Makes no sense to me.

Makes sense to me. He's broke. I'm sympathetic to this notion.
blink.gif

Mar 20, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #5,923 of 8,735
Quote:
I bought them from this seller in Bulgaria http://stores.ebay.co.uk/LCI-Electronics?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

I ordered them on 8th March and got them today 20th March, so 12 days, would take longer to the US i think.

These are exact same as my pair http://www.ebay.com/itm/6N1P-GOLD-GRID-ECC88-Tubes-VOSKHOD-STRONG-MATCHED-PAIR-/310622906742?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item4852916976

Thank you...I should try that.

Mar 20, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #5,924 of 8,735
Quote:
Please!  Do NOT go into details on that comment!
very_evil_smiley.gif
  Seriously though, Telefunkens are known to be a drier, more analytical tube than the Siemens and have been described in the past as the closest thing to a solid state sound in a tube.  I've heard (I don't own one) the HD800s are very analytical as well.  So if you pair (or mate...
wink_face.gif
) them, there won't be any sense of warmth.  Hope that helps...

Cheers! 
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Thanks, that helps. I think I'm looking for something a little warmer. With the right recordings the Lyr/800 combo really rocks. But there are some that I know really well and have tried recently only to be really disappointed by their lack of warmth where I expect it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back