Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 9, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #5,806 of 8,735
Well, this thread is kind of dedicated to the Lyr. :wink:

Its my first proper headphone amp. The price makes it entry level, IMHO. I don't know the Woo products, but I do like that they use point to point circuitry. I jumped in with headphones and Amp at the same time so costs were a major factor for me. I really do like the versatility of the Lyr's tube options. The Lyr itself with my HD800's sounds very different with every tube. So this means the headphones and the amp are very transparent. Beware, you can sink a fortune in tubes into the Lyr if feel the need.

Mar 9, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #5,807 of 8,735
Quote:
Well, this thread is kind of dedicated to the Lyr. :wink:

Its my first proper headphone amp. The price makes it entry level, IMHO. I don't know the Woo products, but I do like that they use point to point circuitry. I jumped in with headphones and Amp at the same time so costs were a major factor for me. I really do like the versatility of the Lyr's tube options. The Lyr itself with my HD800's sounds very different with every tube. So this means the headphones and the amp are very transparent. Beware, you can sink a fortune in tubes into the Lyr if feel the need.

+1

Mar 9, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #5,808 of 8,735
Lyr is a very good middle entry level amp, you'd have to spend at least 3x for the same level of price/performance. I think you'll be very happy with it vs. the WA6. Personally Woo stuff only gets interesting to me at the level of a WA22 or so (4x more than a Lyr after tube upgrades).

For $600 (including a set of good quality NOS tubes) the Lyr will last you a very long time, at least until you consider going balanced or buying an integrated so you can run efficient speakers too.

I would suggest something a little "airy" or "bright" like Telefunken/Siemens/Lorenz for HD650s, it will really help lift the so-called "veil". The massive headroom afforded by the Lyr will open the 650s up like you never imagined possible, they scale wonderfully with more juice; just be careful with that volume dial, it is no joke.

Mar 10, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #5,809 of 8,735
OK it's not very much the right place to say this but I have a problem with my Lyr and it's not the tubes. It's the volume knob. When I turned it, I noticed there was some play and was a bit loose (it didn't exhibit this before) then suddenly, the volume knob came off. Any chance to put it back on? I haven't found a way yet.

Mar 10, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #5,810 of 8,735
Quote:
OK it's not very much the right place to say this but I have a problem with my Lyr and it's not the tubes. It's the volume knob. When I turned it, I noticed there was some play and was a bit loose (it didn't exhibit this before) then suddenly, the volume knob came off. Any chance to put it back on? I haven't found a way yet.

If you look at the knob, there is a threaded circle with a small nut inside.  I think you might be able to place the knob back onto the post and use a jeweler's screwdriver with a longish bit to reattach it.  

If that doesn't work, then definitely email them and they'll take care of you.   The support from Jason & Co is amazing.   He responded to a tube compatibility question at 6:30 this morning for me ... on a saturday, and even a follow up question.   I am definitely on the hook for the statement amp now, I can't wait to see what they do with it.   I'm actually shopping Zu speakers at this moment so I'm prepared for what I am expecting to be the best affordable integrated hybrid possible.   I am so in the tank for Schiit (haha).

Mar 10, 2013 at 3:57 AM Post #5,811 of 8,735
If you look at the knob, there is a threaded circle with a small nut inside.  I think you might be able to place the knob back onto the post and use a jeweler's screwdriver with a longish bit to reattach it.  

If that doesn't work, then definitely email them and they'll take care of you.   The support from Jason & Co is amazing.   He responded to a tube compatibility question at 6:30 this morning for me ... on a saturday, and even a follow up question.   I am definitely on the hook for the statement amp now, I can't wait to see what they do with it.   I'm actually shopping Zu speakers at this moment so I'm prepared for what I am expecting to be the best affordable integrated hybrid possible.   I am so in the tank for Schiit (haha).

I will look into it later on because I'm away right but I think that the nut is split in half. One is in that hole, the other is on the metal bit. maybe I should just contact Schiit straight away.
I will post some pics later on.

Mar 10, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #5,812 of 8,735

Use a 1.5 size metric Allen wrench, it's an easy fix. If you run into any issue pm me

Mar 10, 2013 at 9:32 AM Post #5,813 of 8,735
Quote:
Use a 1.5 size metric Allen wrench, it's an easy fix. If you run into any issue pm me

I don't have a 1.5 Allen Wrench right now so I did a temporary fix that works if I don't turn the knob too fast. BTW, the bolt is broken into two halves.

Mar 10, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #5,814 of 8,735
Quote:

A flashlight will reveal that you need a small hex wrench in there. Clockwise is tighter (only mention this because to match the level of the question). If you don't have a set, get one... you'll use them again somewhere I'm sure.

I emailed support and got a response from Jason pretty quick. He's obviously got the support email on his phone.   If you haven't already email support to get the exact size of hex you'll need... and then report back here. :wink:

Mar 10, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #5,815 of 8,735
Quote:
I don't have a 1.5 Allen Wrench right now so I did a temporary fix that works if I don't turn the knob too fast. BTW, the bolt is broken into two halves.

If you can, just use it without the knob until fixed. I usually set mine slightly higher than listening levels and regulate with Foobar anyhow. Also, if you mean the bolt under the knob is split... that is the volume pot post. They are split to take tension of a knob in a lot of cases.

Mar 10, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #5,816 of 8,735
Comparing some Siemens A6 against Amperex '67 OGs

Well I won a pair of Amperex '67 OGs about a week ago ($15). I spent an hour using 0000 steel wool wrapped around a q-tip cleaning the pins. You can use saran wrap around the tube to stop wear on the label while cleaning. It worked out well enough. Compressed air to get rid of the wool dust. There was plenty left on the work surface when done. If you use this method, be certain to get rid of the dust. I also recommend a mask. I didn't use one, but I found so much wool dust after.. even stuck to the outside of my HPs. Compressed air again saved the day.  It might be better to use high grit paper after all... *sigh*  Thinking out loud here.... I'm getting rid of the wool. I don't like small metal fibers floating around.

The OGs... These were pulls so, they have some random amount of time on them. They've been in for an hour or so. Fantastic mid detail. Fantastic mid bass punch. Just nails it. 
They are much smoother than the Siemens E88CCs I've been breaking in. The OGs are hellishly fun and I can see why people like them. I like them too!  

The downside to the OGs appear to be lacking in sound stage and space. Hoping it shows up with time but I'm not holding out much hope. A clear example is that I can listen to some Police albums and enjoy them with the OGs, but the Siemens always make me switch to something else.  The Siemens are harsh in the highs but do everything else well. Bit more muddy in the mids but they have a much wider soundstage.

Mar 10, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #5,819 of 8,735
What happened to Iamnothim anyway?  I miss that guy. 

Mar 10, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #5,820 of 8,735
Quote:
What happened to Iamnothim anyway?  I miss that guy. 

he got banned. 
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back