Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 15, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #4,921 of 8,735
I had EH 6922s in my previous amp - indeed they were dead silent with no crackling, buzzing or humming, I heard that 6n1p are one of the quietest tubes for lyr (telefunken or siemens might be good too but extremely expensive)

Of course sensitivity of hp is crucial here and I will be using my Lyr with HE-4, they are pretty uneffective which should be good for noise/buzzing etc but I was asking about quietest tube no matter the sensitivity of hp (low sensitivity only hides the issue that still exists)

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #4,922 of 8,735
I had EH 6922s in my previous amp - indeed they were dead silent with no crackling, buzzing or humming, I heard that 6n1p are one of the quietest tubes for lyr (telefunken or siemens might be good too but extremely expensive)

Of course sensitivity of hp is crucial here and I will be using my Lyr with HE-4, they are pretty uneffective which should be good for noise/buzzing etc but I was asking about quietest tube no matter the sensitivity of hp (low sensitivity only hides the issue that still exists)

Yep regardless of hp sensitivity newly made tubes are the way to go for highest chance of silence. I've had Siemens and Telefunken tubes for the lyr and they sound great but it's a roll of the dice as far as how quiet vintage tubes will be.
My lyr didn't ship with the 6n1p so may someone can chime in on those.

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #4,923 of 8,735
6n1p are paired by schiit now and sold as an alternative solution to have different sound signature

should be amazing tubes + great chance to be dead silent when there is no music or between silent passages

so my best try is 6n1p from schiit directly (these are from valhalla I guess) and new Electro Harmonix 6922 - might be great for having forward mids, details, speed and upper harmonics (thats how I remembered them from my previous setup but it might be amplifier's implementation dependent) for dynamic piano music (Lisitsa + Bosendorfer), EF5 was a great match for my he4 (86 dB sensitivity so even harder to drive than he5le) but too many times out of steam so I had to go for the Lyr, no other option (I dont want audio-gd or vintage receivers, speaker amp was not an option too for some reasons)

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #4,924 of 8,735
Those should be good choices. However I have to say part of the fun of the lyr is experimenting with vintage tubes, they may not be the most quiet but I found them to be the most enjoyable to listen to. You can also try the 7dj8 version of tubes which are nearly the same as 6dj8 family but with a slightly different voltage rating, however they can be considerably less expensive. For example http://www.upscaleaudio.com/products/Telefunken-PCC88-%7B47%7D-7DJ8.html versus http://www.upscaleaudio.com/products/Telefunken-E88CC-%7B47%7D-6922.html

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #4,925 of 8,735
nice shop - is it reliable ?

I bought some NOS tubes in the past from ebay and they were nasty, buzzing, humming, crackling many times even they were paired and tested as good, there is many fake ones too which is actually pathetic

I will never buy "shi t" that is selling on ebay, only best of the best no matter the price, I think I'm gonna quit on buying NOS and buy only new one (thats why I strongly prefer buying tubes from new manufacturers like sophia electric or EML - you just cant go wrong with these, never)

Are there interesting "new" tubes (newly made not NOS) from 6922 family (or equivalents) ?

Jan 15, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #4,926 of 8,735
Yeah I bought a pair of cv2493's from them and they were a good seller and the tubes were really nice quality (I ordered the premium version though). Check out http://www.tubemonger.com/Pre_Tubes_s/1.htm too, I've bought a lot from them and trust them.

I haven't found any newly made tube that has really wowed me like some of the nos variety. They sound kinda solid stateish and boxy but detailed to me. I've only owned the JJ's, 6922eh, and Russian 6h23n newly made tubes. Some folks on the thread early on really liked the gold lions but I've only heard them briefly so can't really comment.

Jan 15, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #4,927 of 8,735
I believe EAT makes a new 6922 tube, but it's hideously expensive--$250 a tube. And, the coolers mounted on it won't fit in the Lyr. Here it is: http://www.euroaudioteam.com/en/eat-ecc88-cool-valve-000008.html
Enjoy!

Jan 15, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #4,928 of 8,735
"Upscale Audio prides itself on offering the best tube testing in the industry. Every single tube is tested one at a time in-circuit, using real-world voltages. Signal tubes are listened to on a simulated phonostage with headphones to check for noise. Power tubes are burned in for 72 hours before we ever take a single measurement."

that is really something worth considering, after checking out all the family I'm thinking about getting platinum grade matched pairs of:

6n1p from schiit directly

6h23 type 3
matsushta pcc88
tungsram 6922
telefunken pcc88

Jan 15, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #4,933 of 8,735
The 6L6 has a set value on it as it is tested on another Hickok tester. Say it is a 6L6 for a 439C and tested on a very calibrated 439C. You then calibrate to get the same number as on that calibrating tube. I calibrated most of my own testers so I have other numbers for the 6L6 for other testers. I also have a 6SN7, 6DJ8 and a few others with known values to check out everything. Sometimes the 6DJ8 will show that a tester will test one half of it fine but the other side totally off. I know that the other half is oscillating, so ferrite rings are needed on the wires. I like my TV7's (three), TV10 (never worked until I got it so even though it was made in the 1950's, inside it is like new), 2 439c's and a few others. Too many but I got on a rampage about 12 years ago. I carry a TV7 with me now when traveling and my calibrating tubes. The nice thing about the TV7, TV10 and 439C is that they have pots so you can easily calibrate them, well if you know what you are doing. Sometimes a resistor is fried but mine are all up to par now.

I just bought an entry level Rigol scope and a Hakke 888 iron. I'm ready for the tester to arrive. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back