Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 17, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #4,666 of 8,735
Quote:
I'm running a set of Herbie's Tenderfoot feet under my Lyr and they work great for me.  I have not seen any problems with surface damage so far either. 

Thanks. 

Wow, so if I want a set of 8, it's gonna cost me over $110.!

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #4,667 of 8,735
Quote:
Thanks. 

I have not used the Baby Booties, but they may be an option.  http://herbiesaudiolab.net/bbootie.htm You can e-mail Herbie's Audio Lab, and ask them which they suggest for your application.  He usually replies in a few hours.

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #4,668 of 8,735
Just got my Lyr back from getting the relay installed (Thanks Jason!) - Also just got a set of Amerex 1969 Orange Globe Dimple Getter.  The both arrived today.. coincidence?? Ran the stock GEs for an hour or so and then rolled to the Amperex.  Awful at first, started off weak, but after an hour or so, I'm really liking them.

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #4,669 of 8,735
Quote:
Thanks. 

Here is the hardness scales:

All the adhesive backed bumpers at the top of the page are non-marking per description.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#adhesive-backed-buurmpers/=kn153d

I would get the dome 5/8" x 5/16" DURO 60A - 70A  ("A" Scale above)
Package of 40 for $8.43
Your choice Black, Brown, Clear, White, Gray

PS:
I got the "Load Rated" 30-00 Extra Soft Polyurethane Extra Soft.
Do Not Get these.  They are as soft as gummy bears and stick to the surface.  Although they do not mark.
It's as if the Lyr stack was on springs.

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #4,670 of 8,735
Quote:
Just got my Lyr back from getting the relay installed (Thanks Jason!) - Also just got a set of Amerex 1969 Orange Globe Dimple Getter.  The both arrived today.. coincidence?? Ran the stock GEs for an hour or so and then rolled to the Amperex.  Awful at first, started off weak, but after an hour or so, I'm really liking them.

has anyone confirmed if there is a difference in SQ with and without the relay? I left mine without because Jason mentioned the less things in the way the better.

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #4,671 of 8,735
Just an update on some recent tubes I acquired.  I bought my Lyr with absolutely fantastic sound Apmerex Orange Globe (6DJ8), A Frames.  I wanted to get a backup pair, so I got Amperex Orange Globe O-getter types from Mercedesman.  I don't know if this is universal or just unique to my tubes, but I find the O-getters to have ever so slightly more refined and laid back bass and highs than the A frames.  The A-frames will wow you a little more at first listen, but the O-getters are just a tad tighter.

Interestingly, I find my recently acquire Russian 6H23n-EB tubes have a little more mid-bass and nicely rolled off highs ---- they make my HD600 sound like an HD650  !!

So many tubes ---- so little time

Dec 17, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #4,672 of 8,735
I don't hear a SQ difference (though I'm probably not the best judge and don't have golden ears) but I before the relay, the max volume I could go with my HD700s was about 10 o'clock. Now I can go to about 12 or 1. Appreciate the extra volume control but did email Jason to ask if this was normal.

Quote:

has anyone confirmed if there is a difference in SQ with and without the relay? I left mine without because Jason mentioned the less things in the way the better.

Dec 17, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #4,673 of 8,735
Quote:
Just an update on some recent tubes I acquired.  I bought my Lyr with absolutely fantastic sound Apmerex Orange Globe (6DJ8), A Frames.  I wanted to get a backup pair, so I got Amperex Orange Globe O-getter types from Mercedesman.  I don't know if this is universal or just unique to my tubes, but I find the O-getters to have ever so slightly more refined and laid back bass and highs than the A frames.  The A-frames will wow you a little more at first listen, but the O-getters are just a tad tighter.

Interestingly, I find my recently acquire Russian 6H23n-EB tubes have a little more mid-bass and nicely rolled off highs ---- they make my HD600 sound like an HD650  !!

So many tubes ---- so little time

I've been wanting to get a set of "A" frames.  Good feedback, thanks.
I have some 60' D getters coming.

Need to break the Amprex spell ....  Perhaps a set of nice Mullards.

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #4,674 of 8,735
Quote:
I have not used the Baby Booties, but they may be an option.  http://herbiesaudiolab.net/bbootie.htm You can e-mail Herbie's Audio Lab, and ask them which they suggest for your application.  He usually replies in a few hours.

So, because I like the Sorbothane feet I got on Amazon for only like $20. (for 16 of them!), I just didn't like that they can leave a mark on your wood table, I decided to cut small squares of plastic wrap and covered each of them with that. 

They look like wrapped little black licorice candies now, probably not the most elegant solution; but you don't really see them normally and it seems to work as the plastic wrap sticks to them.  

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #4,675 of 8,735
Quote:
I've been wanting to get a set of "A" frames.  Good feedback, thanks.
I have some 60' D getters coming.

Need to break the Amprex spell ....  Perhaps a set of nice Mullards.

You're in for a treat....listening to these now from mercedesman....

AMPEREX HP 6922 6DJ8 ECC88 VACUUM TUBE GOLD PIN D GTR 1960 HOLY GRAIL MATCH NOS

Holy cow......very nice indeed......breaking them in nice and easy now and standing them on top of the tubemonger socket savers....I think it gives it a cool looking vibe hah.

Dec 18, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #4,676 of 8,735
Quote:

You're in for a treat....listening to these now from mercedesman....

AMPEREX HP 6922 6DJ8 ECC88 VACUUM TUBE GOLD PIN D GTR 1960 HOLY GRAIL MATCH NOS

Holy cow......very nice indeed......breaking them in nice and easy now and standing them on top of the tubemonger socket savers....I think it gives it a cool looking vibe hah.

The same ones w/o the HP are on the way from mercedesman.   Should have them in 2 days...
I am soooo glad you posted that you like them.....  Can't wait.

PS:

Oh yah.  Got my Tubemonger extenders in..... they're a tad higher than the Chinese pair in the avatar photo.  Much better build.

Dec 18, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #4,677 of 8,735
Got my cognac here with the LCD-2 paired with the Lyr and rolling those tubes with Diana Krall......I don't think it gets much better than this.  You will be floored.  It's a step up from the O getter Amperex tubes USN CEP imo.

Dec 18, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #4,678 of 8,735
Quote:
Got my cognac here with the LCD-2 paired with the Lyr and rolling those tubes with Diana Krall......I don't think it gets much better than this.  You will be floored.  It's a step up from the O getter Amperex tubes USN CEP imo.

I have access to every single one of those items.  
smile.gif

WAIT  !!!
Did you say you were rolling with Diana Krall ???

Dec 18, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #4,679 of 8,735
Haha yes....I love to use her music for demo material and jazz is especially a great pairing for Audeze.  You're in for a treat for sure...wish I could listen longer but gotta get up early for work. =\

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #4,680 of 8,735
I use the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack for testing audio equipment. It's well recorded, and a great mix of jazz, rock, pop, electronic and even some metal. Plus, it has the vocals of Mai Yamane and Tulivu-Donna Cumberbatch in it, which is just fine for testing tubes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back