Schiit Lyr - The tube rolling thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 5, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #3,436 of 8,735
Quote:

All very interesting.  So the question is, does anyone know the reason Jason recommended against it?  I doubt he'd do so if it presented no issue, so is there anything not being mentioned?

Quote:
Actually, I can think of one very good reason that he'd be very conservative about what he supported - not wanting to incur additional support, or the impact on the Schiit rep. if users pushed the envelope with tube rolling and ended up damaging their amp. If I was the manufacturer, I'd only officially support the tubes I tested, which would only be the specific ones that I designed it for. My 2 cents.

I agree with Misterrogers in that Jason and Schiit designed the amp with a certain family of tubes in mind and only advocate those being installed.  It makes good business sense.  However, like the folks that overclock their computers,  the hardware is designed with some headroom (no pun...) and can be pushed safely if you stay within the boundry.  With the PCC88s, I seemed to recall that Jason said he felt the PCC88s wouldn't be pushed to their full potential (due to the undervolt) in the Lyr, but even the "limited" sound quality has exceeded many of the 6volt tubes.  I wonder if he would consider a 7volt Lyr option?  I wonder how much more "potential" the PCC88s would show?

But there are a great many of us (me included) that have used the PCC88s with no problems whatsoever.  I even swap back and forth between the 6volt recommended tubes and the 7volt PCC88s on a fairly regular basis with no ill effects.

Hope this helps...

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends 

Jun 5, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #3,437 of 8,735

I'm a bit unfamiliar with the cause/effect of different voltage tubes.  I'd have thought shoving a 7V tube in a 6.3V bit of gear would lead to issues.  And if Jason's warning people away from it, it would seem like there's a reason not to.  Or is it just sound related?  What would the effect of a 7v tube be without autobiasing?

Eg, should there be any risk of damage to the tube, the Lyr, or the headphone that just "happens" to not be causing trouble for those using them? Or is the only "risk" damage to SQ? (Yeah, I could just email Jason, but he's sick of hearing from me after a few months
wink.gif
)

Hmm, USB exclusively, using some form of kernel driver bypassing the mixer.  I can't imagine a reason for a different sound between the two except maybe the filtration of the power via the battery or external power supply.  It could be less prone to noise over the USB in that configuration, so it may not be platform specific but just configuration difference.

Gosh I seem to have to say this alot... The only reason Jason is saying no.. Is because he thinks that tubes like the PC88's that he has never tested would not sound as good as any of the ^dJB, 6922' variants etc.. Jamato made a comment see in the Guitar amp world we have to Bias our amp's when we change tubes it's tedious and dangerous as all hell if you touch the wrong thing as we are dealing with Capacitors that hold the voltage that is leathal.. big 6L6 tubes etc.. So in the case of the Lyr there is not reason he has to support not using the PCC88's example some of us overbias our tubes like I do on my amps to give a more organic sound we can really push them if we wish with reduced life span we get usually a year out of 6L6's a bit more out of EL34's... So no Jason has no reason any more than he did eons ago when he was against using anything but 6922's until Jamato and others tested the tubes then suddenly he is using the GE's as default... So the PCC88's are perfectly safe and some of the best sounding are PCC88's...

Jun 5, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #3,438 of 8,735

I agree with Misterrogers in that Jason and Schiit designed the amp with a certain family of tubes in mind and only advocate those being installed.  It makes good business sense.  However, like the folks that overclock their computers,  the hardware is designed with some headroom (no pun...) and can be pushed safely if you stay within the boundry.  With the PCC88s, I seemed to recall that Jason said he felt the PCC88s wouldn't be pushed to their full potential (due to the undervolt) in the Lyr, but even the "limited" sound quality has exceeded many of the 6volt tubes.  I wonder if he would consider a 7volt Lyr option?  I wonder how much more "potential" the PCC88s would show?

But there are a great many of us (me included) that have used the PCC88s with no problems whatsoever.  I even swap back and forth between the 6volt recommended tubes and the 7volt PCC88s on a fairly regular basis with no ill effects.

Hope this helps...

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends 

Nonsense Jason has no reason at all to say this he is probably saying it becasuse he is looking at the majority of users that would go out buy some cheap set of PCC88's and they sound like pigsonafarm.. Us tube rollers know different so that would be the only reason.. Nothing wrong with under or over biasing tubes you just get maybe extended life or reduced... :) Mr Rogers is too nice... love ya anyway man :wink:

Jun 5, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #3,439 of 8,735
I use a PC and just recently found out how much better Foobar2000 sounds with the WASAPI plug-in (supposedly offering "bit perfect" output).  The music went from pretty good to "Oh Wow!".
Color me impressed!

My system now consists of a Dell XPS laptop (with Foobar WASAPI output) -> USB -> Schiit Bifrost -> Schiit Lyr -> LCD-3s
I did have to change the output setting in Foobar but now, any time I plug in my Bifrost to my Dell, the output automatically configures.

Pure audio nirvana dude!
biggrin.gif

I just roll tubes from time to time to change the sound quality.  As a matter of fact, I was surprisingly blown away by a set of Tungsram PCC88s in this setup, giving me the most organic sound that I had ever heard (I literally "heard the wood" in the violins and cellos of the piece I was listening to).
Now I am playing with my other tubes to see how the sound changed from before.  Foobar 2000 WASAPI rules/rocks/owns!

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Ohhh bro you still using USB ohh dear.. get rid of that and your sonic sound will improve even more... :)

Jun 5, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #3,440 of 8,735
Ahem - custom built Buffalo II DAC with a 'forest' of Belleson super regulators, feed via an exeU2I USB->I2S card, full galvanic isolation, sample rates up to 384k PCM/DSD; you can keep your stinkin SPDIF 
wink_face.gif
 Listening to ripped SACD Iso's right now (DSF 1bit/2.8Mhz (DSD64)), and I doubt you'll ever finding a more resolving, jitter free, analog sound. All through USB.

Quote:

Ohhh bro you still using USB ohh dear.. get rid of that and your sonic sound will improve even more... :)

Jun 5, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #3,441 of 8,735

Nonsense Jason has no reason at all to say this he is probably saying it becasuse he is looking at the majority of users that would go out buy some cheap set of PCC88's and they sound like pigsonafarm..Us tube rollers know different so that would be the only reason.. Nothing wrong with under or over biasing tubes you just get maybe extended life or reduced... :)Mr Rogers is too nice... love ya anyway man :wink:

And to add to this yes Jason does have a reason he is smart he is playing safe Business man if I was in his position I would do the same... :)

Jun 5, 2012 at 6:23 PM Post #3,442 of 8,735
      Quote:

Actually, the USB I am getting sounds better than the optical SPDIF I was using...
I think at my level of sound equipment, the differences aren't as apparent.

Plus, I'm pretty happy with what I use and that's the point of the exercise...
tongue.gif

As far as the "nonsense" is concerned, I only call 'em as I read 'em and to (mis)quote Capt Kirk, "We're both extremists...reality is somewhere in-between".

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Jun 5, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #3,445 of 8,735
Ahem - custom built Buffalo II DAC with a 'forest' of Belleson super regulators, feed via an exeU2I USB->I2S card, full galvanic isolation, sample rates up to 384k PCM/DSD; you can keep your stinkin SPDIF :wink_face:  Listening to ripped SACD Iso's right now (DSF 1bit/2.8Mhz (DSD64)), and I doubt you'll ever finding a more resolving, jitter free, analog sound. All through USB.

Oh snap

Jun 6, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #3,447 of 8,735
Quote:

Hope this helps...

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends 

Quote:

Gosh I seem to have to say this alot... The only reason Jason is saying no.. Is because he thinks that tubes like the PC88's that he has never tested would not sound as good as any of the ^dJB, 6922' variants etc..Jamato made a comment see in the Guitar amp world we have to Bias our amp's when we change tubes it's tedious and dangerous as all hell if you touch the wrong thing as we are dealing with Capacitors that hold the voltage that is leathal.. big 6L6 tubes etc.. So in the case of the Lyr there is not reason he has to support not using the PCC88's example some of us overbias our tubes like I do on my amps to give a more organic sound we can really push them if we wish with reduced life span we get usually a year out of 6L6's a bit more out of EL34's... So no Jason has no reason any more than he did eons ago when he was against using anything but 6922's until Jamato and others tested the tubes then suddenly he is using the GE's as default... So the PCC88's are perfectly safe and some of the best sounding are PCC88's...

Thanks for the details, both.  If it were a matter of "could damage the amp, but everyone's been lucky so far" I wouldn't have any desire to try it.  But both of you seem to concur with my own theory given the electrical difference, that it doesn't seem there's any way to damage anything except maybe a poorly made tube.  It won't pull more power through the amp, it just won't receive all the power it wants on the heater and will "under-utilize" it.  So if were' just talking about stuff that won't sound right some of the time, but some models do, sounds good to me. Longer life is a side benefit as well possibly.

Since you mentioned the GE's I looked it up.  6.5V heater.  So the stock tubes are already under-powered by -.2V, what's another -.5V?  Of course those are noisy buggers at times.  I wasn't sure if the whining was the Lyr or the tubes.  After putting the 2492's in and losing the squeal, I know it was the tubes :) Maybe running out of spec makes noises more apparent or something, but it's worth a shot. 

Jason (correctly) cautioned me against using Lyr with Denons because it's too noisy.  And indeed it was too noisy.  With the stock tubes.  Not so with the Mullards.  Of course I discovered this after I bought an SS amp for the Denons
rolleyes.gif
.  No harm though, I prefer the Denons on the SS still.

Quote:
Ahem - custom built Buffalo II DAC with a 'forest' of Belleson super regulators, feed via an exeU2I USB->I2S card, full galvanic isolation, sample rates up to 384k PCM/DSD; you can keep your stinkin SPDIF 
wink_face.gif
 Listening to ripped SACD Iso's right now (DSF 1bit/2.8Mhz (DSD64)), and I doubt you'll ever finding a more resolving, jitter free, analog sound. All through USB.

Ripped SACDs?   How does one rip SACDs? Not that I have a DAC that plays DSD, but I have an SACD collection, some of them non-hybrid, that I'd hate to lose when my last SACD player goes down.  One already has, it inconsistently recognizes discs, and starts stuttering before dropping out during playback.  I've recently been buying some HDTracks downloads, most are PCM interperetations of DSD discs, a few are genuine DVD-A rips, etc. 

I still hate Sony for their mangling of the SACD format
mad.gif

All: Since the Tunsram PCC88s were mentioned...I noticed Tubemonger has them at $50 a set or so (and I did very well with my Mullards from them, though one set is crazy microphonic, it doesn't affect SQ), but Upscale has them for $90 a set for their Platinum and $80 a set for Gold.  Anyone with experience from both vendors have an opinion of if the price difference is worth it for the pre-tested guarantee of high performance rather than tube roulette? That's a big jump.  But pre-testing no doubt has solid merit. 

Also, if going from Upscale, any opinions on the cryo treatment for $8? I know nothing is proven one way or another about cryo...whether it helps SQ or prolongs life. But $8 is affordable enough that it could be good "tube insurance", unless it poses a risk to damaging them?  Or it's so utterly unworth it, don't bother. 

For those of you that tried Tungs PCC88...in your opinion how does it compare to a CV2942 (dimple getter?)  Either in terms of performance or SQ? 

Jun 6, 2012 at 10:41 AM Post #3,448 of 8,735
There are a number of methods, but the prevalent one at this time involves using a PS3 with a specific firmware version (>=) and some open source software. Various sites on the web make these ripped ISO's available. They usually provide stereo and multichannel 88.2's too. Of course, as this would be illegal, this is all theoretical. Allegedly. If someone were to attempt such a thing... yea, that's the ticket. 
wink_face.gif

Quote:
Ripped SACDs?   How does one rip SACDs? Not that I have a DAC that plays DSD, but I have an SACD collection, some of them non-hybrid, that I'd hate to lose when my last SACD player goes down.  One already has, it inconsistently recognizes discs, and starts stuttering before dropping out during playback.  I've recently been buying some HDTracks downloads, most are PCM interperetations of DSD discs, a few are genuine DVD-A rips, etc. 

Jun 6, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #3,449 of 8,735
Quote:

You can rip SACD's with a Sony Playstation 3 (not all versions of PS3 are capable of this feature, however). I tried ripping a few SACD's with my PS3 after reading a detailed instruction at www.computeraudiophile.com, but it was a real pain in the ass and not worth the effort IMO... unless you own a large collection of SACD's + a PS3 maybe? I'll provide you with the link below, although I personally don't recommend it even if you do have a PS3.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/sacd-ripping-using-your-ps3-part-2-a-7495/

Word of advice: You can actually purchase DSD files at some online stores instead of going through all the trouble of ripping SACD's using a PS3, but their music collection and availability is quite limited as of now. Also, only a few DAC's in the market can actually support DSD (e.g. dCS Debussy), most of which are very expensive gears which I doubt most Head-fi'ers won't be using, otherwise you'd have to convert your DSD files into PCM using certain playback softwares like Pure Music. And you know what? Supposedly, many people have actually reported that they had better results with DSD files converted into PCM than playing DSD files natively using the afore-mentioned uber-expensive DAC's! Some audio experts even claim that DSD is inherently a flawed format for some technical reasons.

I'm not saying SACD's are bad - I'm just saying they weren't meant for computer audio, which was virtually nonexistent when SACD saw its light of day (did it ever?) until the concept of using computer as audio became popularized a few years ago.

Jun 6, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #3,450 of 8,735
Quote:

You can rip SACD's with a Sony Playstation 3 (not all versions of PS3 are capable of this feature, however). I tried ripping a few SACD's with my PS3 after reading a detailed instruction at www.computeraudiophile.com, but it was a real pain in the ass and not worth the effort IMO... unless you own a large collection of SACD's + a PS3 maybe? I'll provide you with the link below, although I personally don't recommend it even if you do have a PS3.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/sacd-ripping-using-your-ps3-part-2-a-7495/

Word of advice: You can actually purchase DSD files at some online stores instead of going through all the trouble of ripping SACD's using a PS3, but their music collection and availability is quite limited as of now. Also, only a few DAC's in the market can actually support DSD (e.g. dCS Debussy), most of which are very expensive gears which I doubt most Head-fi'ers won't be using, otherwise you'd have to convert your DSD files into PCM using certain playback softwares like Pure Music. And you know what? Supposedly, many people have actually reported that they had better results with DSD files converted into PCM than playing DSD files natively using the afore-mentioned uber-expensive DAC's! Some audio experts even claim that DSD is inherently a flawed format for some technical reasons.

I'm not saying SACD's are bad - I'm just saying they weren't meant for computer audio, which was virtually nonexistent when SACD saw its light of day (did it ever?) until the concept of using computer as audio became popularized a few years ago.

You guys lost me at "PS3 with a special firmware version."  My PS3 is rigged up as my BD player  (lots cheaper than an Oppo, almost as good for my needs!) and it's the later models that don't support SACD. 

Perhaps I'll stick with HDTracks PCM rips
biggrin.gif
  I can't imagine the ineherant flaw of DSD, it was universally praised for its analog nature back in the day.  It's still gaining traction as a recording standard, AFAIK.  Just not as a playback standard.

A few years ago?  Heck I've bee ripping FLAC of the important stuff for many years
wink.gif

Truthfully most of the time I love Redbook.   It's more than sufficient.  I rarely have issue with it.  The occasions where the "high res" version matters is mostly because Redbook is so tight against the wall in spec it leaves no room for error on the mastering/downsampling side.  Half the time the master is excellent and then they botch it when they downsample to 16/44.1.   A well downsampled high-res master would sound just lovely in Redbook. 

I find it funny that in the tube thread, my SACD question was answered, in detail, and nobody bit on my tube/tube-vendor question in the same post
tongue_smile.gif
  I love Head-Fi
wink_face.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back