Schiit Lyr & Lyr 2 Tube Compatibility List
Mar 9, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #31 of 90
  One of the ways we seem to determine manufacturing time frame is the tube construction.

Anybody have a table or list of what type of getter or maybe by type of shields grey or silver manufacturers used during which years?   If not by construction some other known changes such as logo, labeling colors or movement/type of code used on the tube.

Such info might help determining generally what decade the tubes were manufactured since it seems the date on some codes only has the last digit of the year.

Or may that's just too much....

Getters used could be doable.  Paint/printing on the tubes is almost meaningless.  There was so much re-branding by so many companies that didn't produce tubes.  While it would be an awesome list to have, it'd be a small book.

Most tubes seem to have enough info to identify them, with questions of origin being more for those oddball cases, or something like a Telefunken where the factory code has rubbed off.

I'd love to see a table or list of manufacturers, and then their factories, and the times they used various change codes for various tube types.  That wouldn't apply to all tubes, of course.  The Soviets had a very simple system.  And recall that we're talking about a very small subset of all tube types produced.  Not sure how feasible that is when sources like Tubemonger are unsure of certain types (recall the British E188CCs; are they from the early '70s or early '80s?).

Jul 21, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #32 of 90
@sfo1972 - you can add the following to the compatibility list.  @gibosi tipped us off to these, and I took the plunge, albeit into the shallow end, given the specs and pinouts show they would work.

ECC804 / 6GA8 / 6/30L2

This is the best link to use, as it cross-references the other two:

http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_ecc804.html

I'd lead with "ECC804" since most people are probably familiar with the European naming convention.

This link interesting, esp. for the photos of the innards: http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aaq0069.htm
though I don't know if you want to expand the cell in the table to include two links.

One thing I can't recall is the main criterion that separates the Lyr-only types from those that work in both versions.  I want to say it's the "current draw" (I may have this wrong), which is represented by If 0.3 Ampere in the line from the Radio Museum link: Vf 6.3 Volts / If 0.3 Ampere / Indirect / Parallel / series AC/DC /

If I'm right, these should work in the Lyr 2, as well.  It might be good to add a line or two to the first post about this, so people can use the specs to make their own determinations about specific types.  We just need someone to confirm the right spec, and what the relevant values are.  I'm pretty sure the Lyr 2 can't take tubes that draw more than 0.365 amps (e.g., the ECC88) or thereabouts.  I know we've talked about this in the past.  If I have time, I'll search the rolling thread to see if I can dig it up.

Jul 24, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #33 of 90

Hey buddy - great to hear from you and its great to see the "filament" still burning 
tongue.gif

I will do the update in the coming few weeks, I am currently traveling with the Fam in Cali for holidays.

Hope everyone is having a great summer.

Cheers

Jul 24, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #34 of 90
Hey buddy - great to hear from you and its great to see the "filament" still burning 
tongue.gif

I will do the update in the coming few weeks, I am currently traveling with the Fam in Cali for holidays.

Cheers

Enjoy your travels 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 24, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #35 of 90

tongue.gif

Cheers

+1  Missed seeing you.  Enjoy your vacation...

Jul 26, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #36 of 90

tongue.gif

Cheers

Enjoy your travels 
smily_headphones1.gif

tongue.gif

Cheers

+1  Missed seeing you.  Enjoy your vacation...

Thanks guys...Its good to hear from old friend :)

I kinda switched off after the fiasco on the other thread earlier in the year, but maybe its time to get back in and update the first post on this thread with the research on tubes that has been sitting on my hard drive for sometime.

Take care and will connect back soon.

Cheers.

Jul 28, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #37 of 90
Ok folks - I could't resist making the update after @ThurstonX's poke, so I found most of the chart updates synced to my laptop, minus the codes cards, which are are on my main computer.

I added the tube suggested by @ThurstonX and the 2 links as well. Let me know your thoughts on the updates.

Cheers

Jul 28, 2015 at 9:08 PM Post #38 of 90
  Ok folks - I could't resist making the update after @ThurstonX's poke, so I found most of the chart updates synced to my laptop, minus the codes cards, which are are on my main computer.

I added the tube suggested by @ThurstonX and the 2 links as well. Let me know your thoughts on the updates.

Cheers

Looks good, though in Chrome the table gets cut off on the right side.  I loaded the first page in IE 11 and it displays correctly.  Not sure if there's anything you can do to the code, and frankly, I wouldn't sweat it unless others complain.
beerchug.gif

Jul 28, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #39 of 90

Cheers

Looks good, though in Chrome the table gets cut off on the right side.  I loaded the first page in IE 11 and it displays correctly.  Not sure if there's anything you can do to the code, and frankly, I wouldn't sweat it unless others complain.
beerchug.gif

Good catch. I will check for compatibility in a couple of weeks and see how to rectify the problem, all my development and testing was done on Safari. Mac guy here, but you knew that.

Did you get a chance to look at the new sections added? anything out of order or are there any mistakes?  I think a similar ratings/specs sheet for the Lyr tubes and variants is required for the die hards. The one I have in there is specific to Lyr2 since thats what I own.  But we need to evolve the post for both Headphone Amps.

Cheers

Jul 29, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #40 of 90
  @sfo1972 - you can add the following to the compatibility list.  @gibosi tipped us off to these, and I took the plunge, albeit into the shallow end, given the specs and pinouts show they would work.

ECC804 / 6GA8 / 6/30L2

This is the best link to use, as it cross-references the other two:

http://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_ecc804.html

Guys, I guess that could be ECC804 = 6GA8 = 6/30L2. Those appear to be the same tube.

Jul 29, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #41 of 90
  Guys, I guess that could be ECC804 = 6GA8 = 6/30L2. Those appear to be the same tube.

Yep, good catch.  I just started reading post #1 again, and noticed the '=' vs. '/' differentiation.

@sfo1972 this could be worded better (for footnote 4):

"Note (4):  mu means variable gain which is not recommended for the Lyr. The standard gain (mu) for the 6DJ8 is 33"

as "mu" doesn't mean "variable gain," which you sort of correct later on the same line: "standard gain (mu)".  Maybe something like this:

"Note (4):  variable mu means variable gain which is not recommended for the Lyr. For example, the standard (fixed) gain (mu) for the 6DJ8 is 33"

I don't think that's too nitpicky.  The other thing I'd change is the labeling on the photos under PART 4. 6DJ8 TUBE ANATOMY.  I'd clarify the "Getter" as the "Getter Holder" - though that might require an explanation, as most people use that term for that part.  I'd definitely add "Getter Flashing", as illustrated here:

Obviously that's just a rough edit.  I skipped the '8' in the circle, but that'd be the easiest way to insert it.

Those are relatively minor things.  Overall, it's an excellent post!

NB: Haven't read the draft of part 5 yet.

Jul 29, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #42 of 90
  This link interesting, esp. for the photos of the innards: http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aaq0069.htm
though I don't know if you want to expand the cell in the table to include two links.

Links to the National Valve Museum could be added to most of the other types as well. Like the Radiomuseum site, it is an impressive website.

Jul 30, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #43 of 90
I have not looked at this posts in a long while. It is coming along nicely.

Great job and thank you!

Jul 30, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #44 of 90

Yep, good catch.  I just started reading post #1 again, and noticed the '=' vs. '/' differentiation.

@sfo1972 this could be worded better (for footnote 4):

"Note (4):  mu means variable gain which is not recommended for the Lyr. The standard gain (mu) for the 6DJ8 is 33"

as "mu" doesn't mean "variable gain," which you sort of correct later on the same line: "standard gain (mu)".  Maybe something like this:

"Note (4):  variable mu means variable gain which is not recommended for the Lyr. For example, the standard (fixed) gain (mu) for the 6DJ8 is 33"

I don't think that's too nitpicky.  The other thing I'd change is the labeling on the photos under PART 4. 6DJ8 TUBE ANATOMY.  I'd clarify the "Getter" as the "Getter Holder" - though that might require an explanation, as most people use that term for that part.  I'd definitely add "Getter Flashing", as illustrated here:

Obviously that's just a rough edit.  I skipped the '8' in the circle, but that'd be the easiest way to insert it.

Nice picture!
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 1, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #45 of 90

[rule]
@sfo1972
 this could be worded better (for footnote 4):

Nice picture! :tongue_smile:

Great seeing you again rb! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back