Schiit Lyr & Lyr 2 Tube Compatibility List
Aug 1, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #46 of 90
I have not looked at this posts in a long while. It is coming along nicely.

Great job and thank you!

Thank you for posting and I am glad you like the new content.

Cheers

Aug 1, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #47 of 90
Yep, good catch.  I just started reading post #1 again, and noticed the '=' vs. '/' differentiation.

[rule]
@sfo1972
 this could be worded better (for footnote 4):

"Note (4):  mu means variable gain which is not recommended for the Lyr. The standard gain (mu) for the 6DJ8 is 33"

as "mu" doesn't mean "variable gain," which you sort of correct later on the same line: "standard gain (mu)".  Maybe something like this:

"Note (4):  variable mu means variable gain which is not recommended for the Lyr. For example, the standard (fixed) gain (mu) for the 6DJ8 is 33"

I don't think that's too nitpicky.  The other thing I'd change is the labeling on the photos under PART 4. 6DJ8 TUBE ANATOMY.  I'd clarify the "Getter" as the "Getter Holder" - though that might require an explanation, as most people use that term for that part.  I'd definitely add "Getter Flashing", as illustrated here:

Obviously that's just a rough edit.  I skipped the '8' in the circle, but that'd be the easiest way to insert it.

Those are relatively minor things.  Overall, it's an excellent post!

NB: Haven't read the draft of part 5 yet.

Thurston my Friend, I hate to break it too you, but.....my God this hard to say, just remember you have Friends you can lean on. ...........

OK, here it goes....Rangy has been cheating on you, two timing, sleazy little Orangutan, sorry I had to be the one......Here's the picture, sorry Man:cry:

http://www.redbubble.com/people/ausven/works/3016094-evolution-of-sound?grid_pos=8&p=t-shirt

Aug 1, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #48 of 90
Thurston my Friend, I hate to break it too you, but.....my God this hard to say, just remember you have Friends you can lean on. ...........

OK, here it goes....Rangy has been cheating on you, two timing, sleazy little Orangutan, sorry I had to be the one......Here's the picture, sorry Man:cry:

http://www.redbubble.com/people/ausven/works/3016094-evolution-of-sound?grid_pos=8&p=t-shirt

LOL.  Nice find.  Do you think I should sue, or just send my ape army after them?  If the latter, the whole thing could be filmed as part of the next Planet of the Apes movie 
wink.gif

In this day and age, I would never release into the wild a meme about which I really cared, unless I were prepared to copyright it, and then sue the bastards back to the stone age.  So, live and let live, share and share alike, or, as Alex Lifeson said it best when being inducted into the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame:

Blah blah blah

Aug 1, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #49 of 90

LOL.  Nice find.  Do you think I should sue, or just send my ape army after them?  If the latter, the whole thing could be filmed as part of the next Planet of the Apes movie 
wink.gif

In this day and age, I would never release into the wild a meme about which I really cared, unless I were prepared to copyright it, and then sue the bastards back to the stone age.  So, live and let live, share and share alike, or, as Alex Lifeson said it best when being inducted into the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame:

Blah blah blah

My vote is sue, then send your ape army to finish them off! 

Aug 2, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #51 of 90
I lurk around from time to time - but still banned from the Lyr tube rolling thread - Oh well.

Why in the World would they ban the foremost Russian Tube Expert from a tube thread Bob???

Sold my Lyr 2 about a month ago, enjoying my Tarus Mk2.

I did pick up a Monarchy M22B DAC and read that you preferred the Melodious MX-U8 to the Gustard, so it is on my short list.

Aug 3, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #52 of 90
Why in the World would they ban the foremost Russian Tube Expert from a tube thread Bob???

Sold my Lyr 2 about a month ago, enjoying my Tarus Mk2.

I did pick up a Monarchy M22B DAC and read that you preferred the Melodious MX-U8 to the Gustard, so it is on my short list.

You remember I got into a tussle withe Project Ember folks - it was a bit nasty! LOL!
etysmile.gif

But my review still stands and I have gotten messages from so many folks who enjoyed it.  Worth the effort.

I like that Monarchy very much (big beliver in true R2R DACs) - the new NM24 looks pretty sweet as well.  I moded a Lite DAC60 to the hilt and is sounds great.  I believe the Monarchy 24 is based on a Lite DAC as well.

Hoping to give a Hydra Z a go at some point.  But the love the sound of the MX-U8 - although it's a finicky beast.

Aug 3, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #53 of 90
In total agreement with your Ember Review, odd that those Folks could get you banned from a Lyr Thread?????

Mr. Poon at Monarchy is a stand up guy! He updated the caps for me while he replaced the transformer killed by Canada Post.

By finicky do you mean it doesn't play well with Microsoft? I will be using a PC, with 8.1 and a MacBook with the Melodious.

Aug 4, 2015 at 12:07 AM Post #54 of 90
In total agreement with your Ember Review, odd that those Folks could get you banned from a Lyr Thread?????

Mr. Poon at Monarchy is a stand up guy! He updated the caps for me while he replaced the transformer killed by Canada Post.

By finicky do you mean it doesn't play well with Microsoft? I will be using a PC, with 8.1 and a MacBook with the Melodious.

A bit of a touchy subject for a lot of the lyr tube rolling thread veterans...

Aug 4, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #55 of 90

Well finicky - as to operation.  The drivers work great with Windows.  I have one unit that unlocks occasionally and randomly - no big deal just have to close Foobar then reopen - plays fine.  The other has some occasion random clicks in the background - not a big deal either (I listen to a lot of vinyl so low level occasional clicks don't bother me).  I have tried everything in my bag of tricks to resolve without success.  With the other USB bridges like the the Gustard U12's,  I've had never had a single issue.

But the sound quality is explary and worth the minor hassles.  Incisive, detailed, yet musical and smooth.  The MX-U8 has that 'inner lit' quality I love so much - huge sound stage - totally holographic - like the HGs.
biggrin.gif

Sep 3, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #56 of 90

I lurk around from time to time - but still banned from the Lyr tube rolling thread - Oh well.

Stupid!

I am still baffled by the ban and even more concerned it is still in effect. Makes you wonder if you are going to be next.

Miss you, Bob.

R

Sep 3, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #57 of 90

Stupid!

I am still baffled by the ban and even more concerned it is still in effect. Makes you wonder if you are going to be next.

Miss you, Bob.

R

+1 same here...

Sep 3, 2015 at 12:15 PM Post #58 of 90

Stupid!

Miss you, Bob.

R

+1 same here...

Hey I'm not dead...yet!   Whazzz-up???

No big deal - moved on to other things.  Modding DACs and USB bridges.  Still have the Mundorf Supreme Silver/Gold/Oil caps for the Lyr project.  But I have a Mjolnir 2 in my sights  - so may just save them expensive buggers for that.  Looks to be a killer good head amp.

Funny as the Lyr thread has gone totally 'Herleen' lead by  my friend Bill - who owns a WA2 - the WA2 thread has gone HG crazy!
LOL!  Oh tube rollers a fickle bunch! 
beyersmile.png

http://www.head-fi.org/t/393811/woo-wa2-tube-rolling-recommendations/480#post_11877440  post #482, #492, etc...
 I figured I should chime in with my latest discovery in tube rolling.  
For the past 6 months I have been playing Western 421As, Siemens CCAs, and Brimar EZ81s......a great sounding combo I was very happy with. I read a review about the Russian tube 6N23P Reflektor 1974 or 1975 single wire getter post. I found a used pair of '74s on ebay for $45 dollars and figured I would give them a try. I was impressed, to say the least. This pair beat my beloved $300+ pair of Siemens CCAs. It just had more life, more detail and had tremendous speed and agility. It played everything I threw at it with command and ease. How did this tube evade my radar for so long.

I contacted the seller and bought one of his prized pairs of matched '75s. This was a notch better than the '74s thatI was so impressed with. Wow!! Such incredible detail and imaging. Completely clear and transparent and very musical. This tube has elevated my WA2 to a new level of sound quality. My T1s never sounded better. I am very, very enamored with the sound of  this tube. I can not stop listening. I love my WA2/T1 combo

Are the early '70s Voskhods considered superior to the '75 Reflektor I referenced earlier? I am new to Soviet tubes. As stated earlier, I was blown away by the '75 Reflektor, as it surpassed my beloved CCAs. I'm very curious what other Russian tubes there are that would be "Holy Grail" material and suited for the WA2. That would include power tubes or rectifiers also......Thanks

Guys take care!
beerchug.gif

Sep 3, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #59 of 90

Hey I'm not dead...yet!   Whazzz-up???

No big deal - moved on to other things.  Modding DACs and USB bridges.  Still have the Mundorf Supreme Silver/Gold/Oil caps for the Lyr project.  But I have a Mjolnir 2 in my sights  - so may just save them expensive buggers for that.  Looks to be a killer good head amp.

Funny as the Lyr thread has gone totally 'Herleen' lead by  my friend Bill - who owns a WA2 - the WA2 thread has gone HG crazy!
LOL!  Oh tube rollers a fickle bunch! 
beyersmile.png

http://www.head-fi.org/t/393811/woo-wa2-tube-rolling-recommendations/480#post_11877440  post #482, #492, etc...
Guys take care!
beerchug.gif

Bob,

Didn't you have a pretty decked out Woo at one time?

I still recommend the HG's or 74 silver refelktors to those looking for a good reasonably priced tube and your the guy I point them toward.

Keep an eye on us...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back