Schiit Lyr & Lyr 2 Tube Compatibility List
Mar 4, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #16 of 90
It's actually not a bad idea. Both the Lyr and Lyr2 are priced amazingly low compared to other audio components. Will have to toy with the idea for a while, but good suggestion as usual.

I wasn't actually suggesting people buy both (sorry, Jason! :wink:  I meant, if one has neither, they can take into consideration the ability to roll more tube types vs. the benefits introduced in the Lyr 2.  Personally, I can't justify owning both, but if I could, I would!

Mar 4, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #17 of 90

I wasn't actually suggesting people buy both (sorry, Jason! :wink:  I meant, if one has neither, they can take into consideration the ability to roll more tube types vs. the benefits introduced in the Lyr 2.  Personally, I can't justify owning both, but if I could, I would!

In the same boat Thurston, but maybe to investigate "tube rolling galore" and maximum flexibility across two amps might be:
 Lyr 2 for the 6922 family
+
 Garage1217 Project Ember or Solstice for a whole ton of tube rolling options like 12AU7, 6n6p, 6n30p, and others!

(heard their Polaris amp, and it's a gem of a SS amp.)

Mar 4, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #18 of 90
  In the same boat Thurston, but maybe to investigate "tube rolling galore" and maximum flexibility across two amps might be:
 Lyr 2 for the 6922 family
+
 Garage1217 Project Ember or Solstice for a whole ton of tube rolling options like 12AU7, 6n6p, 6n30p, and others!

(heard their Polaris amp, and it's a gem of a SS amp.)

Oh yeah, the Ember!  That's an excellent point.  I'd love to have that, too, and a Polaris.  I'm still trying to justify the Polaris.  But yeah, the "enhanced" version of the Ember for the widest variety of tubes.

So, Lyr 2 + Project Ember.  I wonder if the Ember would render the Lyr 2 irrelevant and expensive in terms of having to buy pairs.

Mar 4, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #19 of 90

B-Stock Lyr's on the Schiit site for $259.00.   What a bargain...

Mar 7, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #21 of 90
http://www.head-fi.org/t/755300/schiit-lyr-lyr-2-tube-compatibility-list#post_11328343

Several new updates to the Lyr/Lyr2 Compatibility thread. Re-arranged the listing of the tubes in the chart to hopefully a more logical order. Added 3 new parts: Socket savers & relevant posts, Deoxit gold and relevant posts, and the first draft for tube manufacturers and date codes. Will need ideas on how to make part 4 better in the coming few weeks.

Please criticize as you see fit.

Cheers

Mar 7, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #22 of 90
I would possibly add this link that has the various wattages and voltages of the 6922/6N23P class tubes:

http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/t.mpl?f=tubes&m=207502

Under Manufactures you could add the 6N1P as Reflektor, Voskhod and NEVZ for Novosibirsk

Here is a helpful chart:

Thanks for doing this - a great resource!
beerchug.gif

Mar 7, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #23 of 90

Oh yeah, the Ember!  That's an excellent point.  I'd love to have that, too, and a Polaris.  I'm still trying to justify the Polaris.  But yeah, the "enhanced" version of the Ember for the widest variety of tubes.

So, Lyr 2 + Project Ember.  I wonder if the Ember would render the Lyr 2 irrelevant and expensive in terms of having to buy pairs.

The Project Ember uses the tube satge as a buffer - hence the wide range of choices.  The output is fixed opamps (as opposed to the Project Starlight which had swappable opamps).  The Lyr uses a true tube driven output stage - no opamps.

Without an opamp preamp stage there is no way a single 6922 type tube could provide enough gain.  The Lyr uses both sections of a dual triode to feed the MOSFET solid state outputs.

http://www.garage1217.com/garage1217_diy_tube_headphone_amplifiers_004.htm

1. Ember cannot roll opamps. I think this confusion came from our Project Starlight amplifier which can in fact roll many opamps. The output stages on Ember are reflow soldered to the PCB and cannot be rolled. They are mounted this way for part of our thermal - cooling solution which works very well. Trust me, they are perfect for Ember... and Frans told me NO rolling on this design so just do not attempt it. Pain, misery and poor results will follow.

Mar 7, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #24 of 90
I would possibly add this link that has the various wattages and voltages of the 6922/6N23P class tubes:

http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/t.mpl?f=tubes&m=207502

Under Manufactures you could add the 6N1P as Reflektor, Voskhod and NEVZ for Novosibirsk

Here is a helpful chart:

Thanks for doing this - a great resource!
:beerchug:

Thanks for the contribution rb2013, will add these as part of the next update for the Russian tubes.

Cheers

Mar 7, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #26 of 90
  The Project Ember uses the tube satge as a buffer - hence the wide range of choices.  The output is fixed opamps (as opposed to the Project Starlight which had swappable opamps).  The Lyr uses a true tube driven output stage - no opamps.

Without an opamp preamp stage there is no way a single 6922 type tube could provide enough gain.  The Lyr uses both sections of a dual triode to feed the MOSFET solid state outputs.

http://www.garage1217.com/garage1217_diy_tube_headphone_amplifiers_004.htm

Thanks for the info.  Makes perfect sense.

Mar 7, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #28 of 90

Lol....you guys are tough, an unforgiving bunch 
biggrin.gif

Just for laughs and giggles I will keep it as is until the next update - take all the shots you want big guy.....

Mar 9, 2015 at 4:40 AM Post #29 of 90
One of the ways we seem to determine manufacturing time frame is the tube construction.

Anybody have a table or list of what type of getter or maybe by type of shields grey or silver manufacturers used during which years?   If not by construction some other known changes such as logo, labeling colors or movement/type of code used on the tube.

Such info might help determining generally what decade the tubes were manufactured since it seems the date on some codes only has the last digit of the year.

Or may that's just too much....

Mar 9, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #30 of 90
  One of the ways we seem to determine manufacturing time frame is the tube construction.

Anybody have a table or list of what type of getter or maybe by type of shields grey or silver manufacturers used during which years?   If not by construction some other known changes such as logo, labeling colors or movement/type of code used on the tube.

Such info might help determining generally what decade the tubes were manufactured since it seems the date on some codes only has the last digit of the year.

Or may that's just too much....

That's a bit hard to nail down for some manufacturers - more art (and some guessing) then science.  With the Siemens and Halske it's pretty definitive - see below.  With the Dutch tubes harder to sometimes nail down.

Makes me like the 6n23p's with the east to decipher dates.

From tube world on the Siemens CCa/E88CC shield change:
https://www.tubeworld.com/index_high.htm

Code:
[color=rgb(0, 255, 0)] [color=#ff0000][b]6922 with "GRAY SHIELD" 1950's - 1965 / "SILVER/CHROME SHIELD" 1966 - 1980's[/b][/color][/color]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back