Schiit Lyr 3 Tube rolling thread.....
Feb 14, 2023 at 7:07 AM Post #5,056 of 5,228
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I present you with the Sylvania 6SN7GT VT231 3 Hole "Bad Boy".

I paid out the ass for this one but hopefully it will be worth it because I adore the Sylvania 6SN7GTB.
It looks great, let us know how it sounds!

Feb 14, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #5,057 of 5,228
I have the Lyr + which is what I will be using with the tube but its basically the same as the Lyr 3. I will post my impressions tonight.

Feb 14, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #5,058 of 5,228
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I present you with the Sylvania 6SN7GT VT231 3 Hole "Bad Boy".

I paid out the ass for this one but hopefully it will be worth it because I adore the Sylvania 6SN7GTB.
Nice! Let us know how it goes later, I also really liked the Sylvania 6SN7GTB. Was debating if it's worth it to upgrade lol.

Feb 14, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #5,059 of 5,228
Nice! Let us know how it goes later, I also really liked the Sylvania 6SN7GTB. Was debating if it's worth it to upgrade lol.
Comparisons between Sylvania 6SN7GT "Bad Boy" & Sylvania 6SN7GTB.

I will refer to both as just Bad Boy & GTB going forward.

Used HD800S, LCD 4,Topping D90 & Schiit Lyr +

Overview:

The Bad Boy definitely has more detail in the midrange and instruments just "pop" more than the GTB. The imaging and soundstage also sound a bit better and more open and is especially more noticeable on the 800S. They have now has notes extending to the outer reaches on the 800S. The GTB was a terrible match with the 800S as it sort of sounded a bit muddy and not as clear or as precise as my Topping A90D. The Bad Boy is more relaxed in the treble region and more dark which is now a perfect match with the 800S. You get crystal clear mid range and no notes are missed or smoothed over and you get a vast and ever extending soundstage unlike the Topping A90D. The timbre of instruments is spot on with the Bad Boy with 800S now and no longer muddy sounding and its been a great joy to go back to this headphone as I have only used it for mostly gaming these days. Lastly because I get fatigue from higher frequencies with the 800S, the Bad Boy now has put that peaky ness down and is a vastly better experience.

The LCD 4 also benefits with the Bad Boy as the bass hits harder with better imaging and detail. The weak point is the treble region as vocals don't have the same amount of body in the higher frequencies which makes you sort of miss the clarity with the GTB however, this is the only win with the GTB.

Bass:

More control and impact on the Bad Boy. Bad Boy - 9.5/10 GTB - 8/10

Detail:

Better detail in the background and more instrument separation on the Bad Boy. Bad Boy - 9.5/10 GTB 8.5/10

Vocals:

More body and clarity to the vocals in the GTB. Bad Boy 8.5/10 GTB 9.5/10

Treble:

Better treble extension and sparkle up top for the GTB however headphones like the 800S will much better benefit the Bad Boy. For treble on 800S the Bad Boy is 9.5/10. GTB 8/10. On the LCD 4 the Bad Boy is 8/10 and GTB 9.5/10

Soundstage & Imaging:

Ultimate soundstage for both 800S & LCD 4 with the Bad Boy and the imaging feels more precise especially in the stereo imaging. Bad Boy 10/10 GTB 9/10

Overall:

I just wish the Bad Boy had kept that vocal clarity and it would have been the perfect tube. Alas, the advantages with the Bad Boy in mostly every other department will mean it will be my main for now. The 800S has been given a fresh lick of paint and you get better detail in the midrange and better bass impact and control. If you are a treble head the Bad Boy isn't your tube.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2023 at 9:23 PM Post #5,060 of 5,228
Comparisons between Sylvania 6SN7GT "Bad Boy" & Sylvania 6SN7GTB.

I will refer to both as just Bad Boy & GTB going forward.

Used HD800S, LCD 4,Topping D90 & Schiit Lyr +

Overview:

The Bad Boy definitely has more detail in the midrange and instruments just "pop" more than the GTB. The imaging and soundstage also sound a bit better and more open and is especially more noticeable on the 800S. They have now has notes extending to the outer reaches on the 800S. The GTB was a terrible match with the 800S as it sort of sounded a bit muddy and not as clear or as precise as my Topping A90D. The Bad Boy is more relaxed in the treble region and more dark which is now a perfect match with the 800S. You get crystal clear mid range and no notes are missed or smoothed over and you get a vast and ever extending soundstage unlike the Topping A90D. The timbre of instruments is spot on with the Bad Boy with 800S now and no longer muddy sounding and its been a great joy to go back to this headphone as I have only used it for mostly gaming these days. Lastly because I get fatigue from higher frequencies with the 800S, the Bad Boy now has put that peaky ness down and is a vastly better experience.

The LCD 4 also benefits with the Bad Boy as the bass hits harder with better imaging and detail. The weak point is the treble region as vocals don't have the same amount of body in the higher frequencies which makes you sort of miss the clarity with the GTB however, this is the only win with the GTB.

Bass:

More control and impact on the Bad Boy. Bad Boy - 9.5/10 GTB - 8/10

Detail:

Better detail in the background and more instrument separation on the Bad Boy. Bad Boy - 9.5/10 GTB 8.5/10

Vocals:

More body and clarity to the vocals in the GTB. Bad Boy 8.5/10 GTB 9.5/10

Treble:

Better treble extension and sparkle up top for the GTB however headphones like the 800S will much better benefit the Bad Boy. For treble on 800S the Bad Boy is 9.5/10. GTB 8/10. On the LCD 4 the Bad Boy is 8/10 and GTB 9.5/10

Soundstage & Imaging:

Ultimate soundstage for both 800S & LCD 4 with the Bad Boy and the imaging feels more precise especially in the stereo imaging. Bad Boy 10/10 GTB 9/10

Overall:

I just wish the Bad Boy had kept that vocal clarity and it would have been the perfect tube. Alas, the advantages with the Bad Boy in mostly every other department will mean it will be my main for now. The 800S has been given a fresh lick of paint and you get better detail in the midrange and better bass impact and control. If you are a treble head the Bad Boy isn't your tube.
Heyyyy thanks for the detailed review!

Unfortunately in my case I'm a treble head and vocal head so it seems like maybe I'm better off staying with the 6SN7GTB.

But it's still really nice for you to provide this comparison so I don't need to trial and error myself.

Much appreciated!

Feb 15, 2023 at 12:15 AM Post #5,063 of 5,228
I am assembling a team of people of extraordinary tube skills so I don't have to ROLLLL.
FTFY…[Reg. TM; © bcowen: 2021.] 😂

Feb 15, 2023 at 12:42 AM Post #5,064 of 5,228
I am assembling a team of people of extraordinary tube skills so I don't have to LOLLLL.
I'll be happy to spend your money for you :darthsmile:

Feb 15, 2023 at 7:58 PM Post #5,065 of 5,228
Hi, first time poster, long time lurker. Would anybody be interested in recommending me any NOS tubes for this amp under or around $50? I read that the Foton is good, would this be as good as any? https://tubes-store.com/product_info.php?products_id=664 Or are you guys talking about a special Foton 6n8s?

I've also seen something like this: https://www.tubedepot.com/products/sovtek-6sn7gt-preamp-vacuum-tube, or NOS 6N8S 6SN7GT Soviet 2 Hole Plate Vacuum Tube 6H8C | Tested | USA Shipping from Viva tubes. Would any of these be alright? Or do I absolutely have to look for an ebay tube with guaranteed 100% testing?

I have classic Lyr 3 and want a more NOS, musical, syrupy sound for DT 1990 Pro and Amiron, especially for some albums that might have nasty production (using Modi Multibit) or just to chill. I have Tung Sol sent with the amp and PSVANE UK so far. But I want a NOS option. Any help would be great, or if I broke a rule please let me know.

Feb 15, 2023 at 8:12 PM Post #5,066 of 5,228
Hi, first time poster, long time lurker. Would anybody be interested in recommending me any NOS tubes for this amp under or around $50? I read that the Foton is good, would this be as good as any? https://tubes-store.com/product_info.php?products_id=664 Or are you guys talking about a special Foton 6n8s?

I've also seen something like this: https://www.tubedepot.com/products/sovtek-6sn7gt-preamp-vacuum-tube, or NOS 6N8S 6SN7GT Soviet 2 Hole Plate Vacuum Tube 6H8C | Tested | USA Shipping from Viva tubes. Would any of these be alright? Or do I absolutely have to look for an ebay tube with guaranteed 100% testing?

I have classic Lyr 3 and want a more NOS, musical, syrupy sound for DT 1990 Pro and Amiron, especially for some albums that might have nasty production (using Modi Multibit) or just to chill. I have Tung Sol sent with the amp and PSVANE UK so far. But I want a NOS option. Any help would be great, or if I broke a rule please let me know.
You can get 50s fotons 6n8s off ebay still and I find them to sound the best.

Feb 15, 2023 at 8:25 PM Post #5,067 of 5,228

No on both of those you linked, especially the 2nd one. As @chef8489 noted, look for 1950’s production. 1951 - 1955 with the ribbed plates are best, but ‘56 - ‘59 are very close in sonics.

Feb 15, 2023 at 10:31 PM Post #5,068 of 5,228

Going by @chef8489 and @bcowen recommendation... a quick look found this. Looks to be the right one, ribbed and 1951-56. Hopefully one of these guys will correct if I'm wrong...

Feb 15, 2023 at 10:33 PM Post #5,069 of 5,228
Feb 15, 2023 at 11:51 PM Post #5,070 of 5,228
OK, thanks. I'm thinking of just picking one of these up. The ship time is brutal going to March, but it seems pretty popular on here. Some complained about the bass slam, but I guess it'll be 'smoother' compared to new production tubes. The highs are the most annoying for me right now.

Next time I'll know to take the front page recommendations at face value (literally looking for ribbed in description + '53 or circa those years).

I would say however that bass slam with NOS from Schiit have always had more slam than new production though, IMO. My Valhalla and Vali for example.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back