Schiit Lyr 3 Tube rolling thread.....
Feb 18, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #5,071 of 5,228
OK, thanks. I'm thinking of just picking one of these up. The ship time is brutal going to March, but it seems pretty popular on here. Some complained about the bass slam, but I guess it'll be 'smoother' compared to new production tubes. The highs are the most annoying for me right now.

Next time I'll know to take the front page recommendations at face value (literally looking for ribbed in description + '53 or circa those years).

I would say however that bass slam with NOS from Schiit have always had more slam than new production though, IMO. My Valhalla and Vali for example.
You picked the right one. Price is a little high for a single tube, but not terrible.

The ribbed anode (or plate) configuration was from 1951 through part of 1956. Appears the plate style was changed sometime in 1956 as some '56's have ribs and some have the smooth plates like the 1957's and later.

Feb 18, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #5,072 of 5,228
You picked the right one. Price is a little high for a single tube, but not terrible.

The ribbed anode (or plate) configuration was from 1951 through part of 1956. Appears the plate style was changed sometime in 1956 as some '56's have ribs and some have the smooth plates like the 1957's and later.
Cool, thanks. I'm excited but I might look for an additional NOS tube in the short run, if I can find something, since I like the Lyr for my Beyers (and I prefer my Beyers for critical listening overall). March is a while away.

Guess I'll either check out a shop or look for stray recs online. My Tung Sol plastic base broke which maybe is affecting it (even if I place the node between 1 and 8 pins on the bottom of the tube). The PSVANE is good with my Amirons but not with my 1990s.

Feb 18, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #5,073 of 5,228
Cool, thanks. I'm excited but I might look for an additional NOS tube in the short run, if I can find something, since I like the Lyr for my Beyers (and I prefer my Beyers for critical listening overall). March is a while away.

Guess I'll either check out a shop or look for stray recs online. My Tung Sol plastic base broke which maybe is affecting it (even if I place the node between 1 and 8 pins on the bottom of the tube). The PSVANE is good with my Amirons but not with my 1990s.
There's something with the Fotons that does the rhythm thing so very well to my ears. There are more "accomplished" tubes in many areas to be sure, but the Foton never fails to get my foot tapping.

If it's the keyway (center) pin that broke on your Tung Sol, there are these things to help with that. Just be sure it's oriented correctly, then use a couple drops of super glue to hold it in place.

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/keyway-replacement-piece-octal-tubes

Feb 20, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #5,074 of 5,228
There's something with the Fotons that does the rhythm thing so very well to my ears. There are more "accomplished" tubes in many areas to be sure, but the Foton never fails to get my foot tapping.

If it's the keyway (center) pin that broke on your Tung Sol, there are these things to help with that. Just be sure it's oriented correctly, then use a couple drops of super glue to hold it in place.

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/keyway-replacement-piece-octal-tubes
Thanks very much for the advice. Would the piece prevent the pins from plugging in deeply enough though? I have the glass bottom tear drop of the tube sticking out from the center pin hole after the plastic key broke off from the base.

Feb 20, 2023 at 9:35 PM Post #5,075 of 5,228
Thanks very much for the advice. Would the piece prevent the pins from plugging in deeply enough though? I have the glass bottom tear drop of the tube sticking out from the center pin hole after the plastic key broke off from the base.
Shouldn't cause any issues with the pins going in far enough. The top part is only a little thicker than a credit card, so still plenty of pin left sticking out to make good contact in the socket.

Feb 20, 2023 at 9:44 PM Post #5,076 of 5,228
Shouldn't cause any issues with the pins going in far enough. The top part is only a little thicker than a credit card, so still plenty of pin left sticking out to make good contact in the socket.
Thanks a bunch. I got one off Tube Depot as a single piece though. Your correct term language made it very easy. I'll have lots of options again! I'll look for silicon sealant at the hardware store if I want to attach it for good.

Feb 21, 2023 at 1:01 PM Post #5,077 of 5,228
Does anyone remember about 10 years ago on the old version of this thread, there was a seller from Germany selling sets of lorenz 7dj8. People were using them in the Lyr 2,
I believe. Anyway I bought a couple sets of them for $50 a pair, never used them, wondering if anyone on here might be interested for same price ?

Mar 1, 2023 at 7:12 PM Post #5,078 of 5,228
Question: Picked up a (60s??) RCA black plate tube, probably 60% the height of the Tung-Sol that comes w/ the Lyr+. Paid a few bucks for low microphony.

So I can tap - harder than I'd really want to - the Tung-Sol and an EH tube, no problem.

I touch this RCA, I hear it through my cans. Don't have to do much more than just make contact...also not a very quiet tube - if I gain up I get feedback and hum. I checked my other tubes, not my wiring or interference they pick up.

Seems maybe I need to complain, or is this tube not designed for such things? I simply know nothing about it and before I go do a stupid thing and, "Hey what's up dude - why did I pay $4B to GET something I didn't want??"

Figure the vendor just throws something in a box and goes - or maybe made a mistake. The glass is marked up if you look at it off-angle in the right light. But pretty sure it's from the 60s and that doesn't bother me. Sounds...quite nice, but...those two things were unexpected.

Mar 1, 2023 at 7:37 PM Post #5,079 of 5,228
Question: Picked up a (60s??) RCA black plate tube, probably 60% the height of the Tung-Sol that comes w/ the Lyr+. Paid a few bucks for low microphony.

So I can tap - harder than I'd really want to - the Tung-Sol and an EH tube, no problem.

I touch this RCA, I hear it through my cans. Don't have to do much more than just make contact...also not a very quiet tube - if I gain up I get feedback and hum. I checked my other tubes, not my wiring or interference they pick up.

Seems maybe I need to complain, or is this tube not designed for such things? I simply know nothing about it and before I go do a stupid thing and, "Hey what's up dude - why did I pay $4B to GET something I didn't want??"

Figure the vendor just throws something in a box and goes - or maybe made a mistake. The glass is marked up if you look at it off-angle in the right light. But pretty sure it's from the 60s and that doesn't bother me. Sounds...quite nice, but...those two things were unexpected.
Sounds like you got a microphonic tube that is close to worn out. What tube type is it?

Mar 1, 2023 at 8:36 PM Post #5,080 of 5,228
Sounds like you got a microphonic tube that is close to worn out. What tube type is it?
Since it was brought up, what makes a tube microphonic anyways? I got a Matsu 6BZ7 a bit back. NIB IIRC. I swear if I look at it hard enough it starts ringing. Granted the ringing is a wonderful pure tone…

Mar 1, 2023 at 9:24 PM Post #5,081 of 5,228
This one - a bit of microphony sure, I get it. This is more than a little, or so it seems to me. I have no reference so can't say. Just tapping it lightly with the ball of your finger, yea you can hear that and it's not something you have to strain to hear. A light touch and feedback, direct...I am gained up a little but still ...

https://tubedepot.com/products/rca-6sn7gt-gtb-black-plate

Mar 1, 2023 at 9:26 PM Post #5,082 of 5,228
Since it was brought up, what makes a tube microphonic anyways? I got a Matsu 6BZ7 a bit back. NIB IIRC. I swear if I look at it hard enough it starts ringing. Granted the ringing is a wonderful pure tone…
I don't know if there's any one particular reason. Could be a loose element, a weak weld, a mica not in tight contact (and left to vibrate), maybe just an internal resonance that develops under certain situations. Could be other reasons as well.

Mar 1, 2023 at 9:32 PM Post #5,083 of 5,228
This one - a bit of microphony sure, I get it. This is more than a little, or so it seems to me. I have no reference so can't say. Just tapping it lightly with the ball of your finger, yea you can hear that and it's not something you have to strain to hear. A light touch and feedback, direct...I am gained up a little but still ...

https://tubedepot.com/products/rca-6sn7gt-gtb-black-plate
I'd send it back, especially as you paid extra for low microphony. Clealry the one you got isn't.

FWIW, I don't much agree with an extra charge for such things...if you're paying a good bit of money for a NOS tube, it should be good and noiseless as a matter of principle. Just my opinion...

Mar 1, 2023 at 9:39 PM Post #5,084 of 5,228
I'd send it back, especially as you paid extra for low microphony. Clealry the one you got isn't.

FWIW, I don't much agree with an extra charge for such things...if you're paying a good bit of money for a NOS tube, it should be good and noiseless as a matter of principle. Just my opinion...
Such things *could* happen in shipping, I suppose - some psychotic throwing packages around for fun (unfortunately people do this) so who knows. I'll shoot them a note and see if they'll swap it out or similar. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something or this is a well-known problematic tube or...something. I try to give the benefit of the doubt before turning into a not very nice person.

Mar 2, 2023 at 12:34 AM Post #5,085 of 5,228
To be fair, I'd start ringing if you were looking at me... no... that's running... 🤣

We have to remember that tubes are electro-mechanical devices - have a primary electrical purpose - but also can convert vibrations into an electrical signal.

Stranded in a vacuum, highly strung little wires are wound around a small volcanic core that heats in excess of 800C. The thermal cycles alone are enough make ringing and dinging. Confined by nickel plates, some audio hipster makes the electron cloud dance like Travolta - scrutinized for correct harmonic tone while amplifying what kids these days call music. A little microphony - a cry for help - is not surprising. 🤣🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back