Schiit Lyr 3 Tube rolling thread.....
Jul 18, 2022 at 8:39 PM Post #4,861 of 5,228
@bcowen - I have replaced the GE 6SN7 with a "birth year" RCA "Radiotron", it sounds mildly better (but recall this is not in my music system, it is in a PC that has two small monitor speakers where I record and mix.) The Lyr is working great, it will soon move to a proper music system. My reason for buying it was to compare the Schiit multibit card to a Schiit Modi into the same preamp.

Birth year, by the way, is 1957.

How do you resolder a tube? I have soldering irons of various power levels and real, deadly, lead-containing, solder. I'd love to make the Crosley useable, I actually live in the Cincinnati, Ohio environs. The Crosley tube would be a "hometown" tube, although I do not know if Crosley actually made them or outsourced them. Either way the name "Crosley" is revered in Cincinnati.
Ah, finally someone older than me. But you only have me beat by a year. 🤣

Crosley made some very nice components, but I don't think they ever actually made tubes. Likely OEM labeled for them by one of the big players.

Resoldering can be done in one of two ways: 1) quick and easy is to simply reheat each of the pins until the solder flows and add a little new solder. 2) is to heat the solder until it flows, and then use a solder sucker to totally remove the old solder and then replace with new. Many times the quick and easy way will work just fine, but it may not last as long without problems redeveloping as the second method. Keep the tube mostly horizontal (or with the pins very slightly higher than the other end) and capillary action will draw the solder up into the pin. I use a Weller at a 750 degree tip temp with a chisel shaped tip. It can probably be done with more or less heat, that's just what I've become accustomed to and it works fine for me. The 1950's era Russian tubes have a high incident rate of solder problems, but I've also run into it with several Tung Sols and a few Sylvanias.

Jul 18, 2022 at 9:45 PM Post #4,862 of 5,228
Ah, finally someone older than me. But you only have me beat by a year. 🤣
Well, I have you beaten by a handful. 1953 still is a very good year (sorry, Ole Blue Eyes): Ben Hogan won the Masters, US Open, British Open. Saul Marantz founded his namesake company in Queens (Kew Gardens) NYC in 1953. 🤷🏻‍♂️🤣

Jul 19, 2022 at 7:34 PM Post #4,863 of 5,228
Crosley made some very nice components, but I don't think they ever actually made tubes.

What, you mean this thing?
iu

Jul 19, 2022 at 7:48 PM Post #4,864 of 5,228
A great colour on a starter Crosley ⬆️ ? for @bcowen. But he has his eyes set on a C-blue ‘mobile home’…🤣
75C779AE-C42A-41BA-B6ED-3177E838F09E.jpeg

Jul 19, 2022 at 7:49 PM Post #4,865 of 5,228
Jul 19, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #4,866 of 5,228
Jul 19, 2022 at 7:57 PM Post #4,867 of 5,228
Jul 19, 2022 at 7:59 PM Post #4,868 of 5,228
I have read extensively on Powel Crosley Jr. He had plenty of cash but when his son asked for a faddish new device (a radio!) he was shocked to learn that they cost $100. So he made his own, eventually going into both the manufacturing business and the broadcasting business. Besides many manufacturing inventions he introduced the soap opera.

Jul 19, 2022 at 8:25 PM Post #4,869 of 5,228
Jul 19, 2022 at 10:13 PM Post #4,870 of 5,228
Aug 8, 2022 at 10:48 PM Post #4,872 of 5,228
Can you use an adapter for Tall schiit lisst tubes to 6sn7? Using a lyr 3.
Bit late to reply, only just read this/re-visited this thread.
Yes, I bought a lyr 3 that came with a selection of tubes including Lisst (tall, 6922) inserted into an adapter. The best Lisst to look out for are the Octal Lisst that fit directly into our amp, but they don't come up that often.
NOTE: if you do buy other 6922/ECC88 etc etc tubes then I recommend buying a new adapter and leaving them in situ in the adapter. I bought a microphonic Reflector 6N23p. I wanted to rule out (foolishly) that the microphonics weren't produced by its own adapter. So I changed the adapter from Lisst (had no trouble tube rolling before, just ease it out of Lyr 3 with a gentle hand) to the 6N23P only to find same noises present with both adapters. But, I have now loosened the sockets enough that when pulling/rotating gently the Lisst from Lyr, it leaves the adapter behind. The adapter sits below the amp cover (inside the amp) which is a right sod to try and get out.

Long story short, keep the Lisst in its own adapter with firm sockets. Just waiting on a new, fresh socketed adapter from CN so that I can use the Lisst again. The Lisst comes in handy for relaxing about having to turn the amp off, it runs lukewarm. With that SS tube in place I don't mind falling asleep with my powered speakers on low, for example.

I actually came here looking to see if there was any pointers for extracting a stuck adapter in the amp!!

Apologies for the bloated waffle, it's waay late here. I'm off to bed

Attachments

• LISST.jpg
    LISST.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Aug 14, 2022 at 9:23 AM Post #4,874 of 5,228
It's been a very long time since I had a Lyr 3 but I am planning on purchasing one again soon. Hopefully I remember the tubes I l9ved so much and can find them again. Just debating on trying to find a multibit version again or if a 9028 will be good enough.

Aug 15, 2022 at 6:31 PM Post #4,875 of 5,228
It's been a very long time since I had a Lyr 3 but I am planning on purchasing one again soon. Hopefully I remember the tubes I l9ved so much and can find them again. Just debating on trying to find a multibit version again or if a 9028 will be good enough.
If you can afford new... are you aware of the new Lyr+ that's being released in the next couple of weeks or so? Looks to be a great follow up from the Lyr 3... Solid state is built in, so you can simply unplug the tube and it becomes a SS amp, or switch the tube off using a button for it to become a SS amp. This is a superb step I reckon. (Along with all the other upgrades over the Lyr 3) NOTE: There is no DAC card option with the new amp, which may mean you rule it out. It's a stand alone amp. As far as I read, and iirc, the general consensus seemed to be that the card option wasn't much cop in comparison to a stand alone DAC anyway.
Also note, the Bifrost 2 also got an upgrade!

Anyway, if you are interested/curious...
more info and pics here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back