Schiit Lyr 3 Tube rolling thread.....
Aug 15, 2022 at 6:45 PM Post #4,876 of 5,228
If you can afford new... are you aware of the new Lyr+ that's being released in the next couple of weeks or so? Looks to be a great follow up from the Lyr 3... Solid state is built in, so you can simply unplug the tube and it becomes a SS amp, or switch the tube off using a button for it to become a SS amp. This is a superb step I reckon. (Along with all the other upgrades over the Lyr 3) NOTE: There is no DAC card option with the new amp, which may mean you rule it out. It's a stand alone amp. As far as I read, and iirc, the general consensus seemed to be that the card option wasn't much cop in comparison to a stand alone DAC anyway.
Also note, the Bifrost 2 also got an upgrade!

Anyway, if you are interested/curious...
more info and pics here
I had the multibit dac card in my last lyr 3 last time and it sounded great. This was my intention this time. They still have a black version in the discount page that's a stock with the multibit. I'm working on a deal for one of my handguns locally and if it goes through I'll probably order it tomorrow. I need a dac and that's why the lyr + is really not an option and another 800 for a bifrost is not an option right now. I don't even have headphones yet, so that is another thing I'll have to do.

I got out of the desktop and full sized canes a few years ago when some thingsngs happened and money got tight. I went portable exclusively, but gave both my se100 and se200 to my mom and step-dad and now I don't have anything thus wanting the lyr 3 before it's too late.

Aug 15, 2022 at 7:14 PM Post #4,877 of 5,228
I had the multibit dac card in my last lyr 3 last time and it sounded great. This was my intention this time. They still have a black version in the discount page that's a stock with the multibit. I'm working on a deal for one of my handguns locally and if it goes through I'll probably order it tomorrow. I need a dac and that's why the lyr + is really not an option and another 800 for a bifrost is not an option right now. I don't even have headphones yet, so that is another thing I'll have to do.

I got out of the desktop and full sized canes a few years ago when some thingsngs happened and money got tight. I went portable exclusively, but gave both my se100 and se200 to my mom and step-dad and now I don't have anything thus wanting the lyr 3 before it's too late.
Ahh I see. Yeah, the BF2, 2nd hand or new, was/isn't an option for me either with my current fund situation. I bought the final version (Gen 5 USB) of BF1 2nd hand off ebay not so long ago, along with the Lyr 3 from the same seller. Loving it but would deffo like to see what the differences are of the BF1 vs BF2 as and when I can afford.

Not sure what your budget is for headphones, assuming you'll be going full size again, but I can whole heartedly recommend the Edition XS as a really decent pairing with the Lyr 3. They're very detailed (planars with stealth magnets) and I've not heard many bad things about them, sound wise. One person wrote that (again, iirc) whilst they sound very detailed and neutral they tend to become a bit boring. That's where the Lyr comes in, add a bit of tube flavour and hey presto, the best of both world is found imo!! When I want clinical detail I just pop in the Lisst SS tube.
Can't really say that I have anywhere near the experience of most of the users here, but I didn't just try the Edition XS, I tried around 6 or so pairs from Sundara up to and Beyerdynamic T5 3rd Gen and to me the Hifiman are my fav's. However, they are quite loose on the head, so if you're someone who likes to head-bop to music then they could be a bad choice. But for me just moving slightly looking at web pages etc or listening with static head this isn't a problem. One thing I did find with the XS's is that for long listening sessions I'd get hotspots on my head on either side of the headband. This was remedied with one of these

Anyway, apologies for all the waffle. Good luck with whatever you choose and a warm welcome (pun intended) back to tubes soon.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2022 at 7:33 PM Post #4,878 of 5,228
Ahh I see. Yeah, the BF2, 2nd hand or new, was/isn't an option for me either with my current fund situation. I bought the final version (Gen 5 USB) of BF1 2nd hand off ebay not so long ago, along with the Lyr 3 from the same seller. Loving it but would deffo like to see what the differences are of the BF1 vs BF2 as and when I can afford.

Not sure what your budget is for headphones, assuming you'll be going full size again, but I can whole heartedly recommend the Edition XS as a really decent pairing with the Lyr 3. They're very detailed (planars with stealth magnets) and I've not heard many bad things about them, sound wise. One person wrote that (again, iirc) whilst they sound very detailed and neutral they tend to become a bit boring. That's where the Lyr comes in, add a bit of tube flavour and hey presto, the best of both world is found imo!! When I want clinical detail I just pop in the Lisst SS tube.
Can't really say that I have anywhere near the experience of most of the users here, but I didn't just try the Edition XS, I tried around 6 or so pairs from Sundara up to and Beyerdynamic T5 3rd Gen and to me the Hifiman are my fav's. However, they are quite loose on the head, so if you're someone who likes to head-bop to music then they could be a bad choice. But for me just moving slightly looking at web pages etc or listening with static head this isn't a problem. One thing I did find with the XS's is that for long listening sessions I'd get hotspots on my head on either side of the headband. This was remedied with one of these

Anyway, apologies for all the waffle, too much time on my hands tonight lol. Good luck with whatever you choose and a warm welcome back to tubes (pun intended).
I'll probably go back with the audeze lcd-2 classic or possible the Drop + Dan Clark Audio Aeon Open X. The Amp plus headphones will put me under 1600.00 if new and if I go used for headphones less.

Aug 15, 2022 at 7:49 PM Post #4,879 of 5,228
I'll probably go back with the audeze lcd-2 classic or possible the Drop + Dan Clark Audio Aeon Open X. The Amp plus headphones will put me under 1600.00 if new and if I go used for headphones less.
Nice! I had the DCA Aeon Closed X briefly (not paired with the Lyr 3). Would like to try the Audeze but they're a tad out of my league... for now!!

Aug 15, 2022 at 7:56 PM Post #4,880 of 5,228
Nice! I had the DCA Aeon Closed X briefly (not paired with the Lyr 3). Would like to try the Audeze but they're a tad out of my league... for now!!
I really loved the lcd-2 classic when I had it before. I really curious how the dca aeon Open X compares as it's a bit cheaper. I hear it doesn't amp as well nor is it as dynamic nor as wide Soundstage, but I hear it still sounds good.

Aug 15, 2022 at 10:45 PM Post #4,881 of 5,228

Glad you 're on the verge of re-joing the Lyr 3 fmaily, @chef8489. We've missed you and look forward to having you back in the fold!!

Aug 16, 2022 at 4:18 PM Post #4,882 of 5,228
Just ordered my closeout multibit dac in black for 770.06 after shipping. Pretty excited to get back in the game. Ill update everyone when it arrives. Now Ill have to get some tubes again. If anyone wants to donate one or two to get me back on my feet lol Jk. Ordered the lcd-2c as well. was talking to my mother while doing a mock order trying to see how much after tax and shipping and accidentally ordered them. Was going to do a comparison to eBay open box set as I didn't know if the open box had a warranty. Oh well what is done is done.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #4,883 of 5,228
@bcowen - I have replaced the GE 6SN7 with a "birth year" RCA "Radiotron", it sounds mildly better (but recall this is not in my music system, it is in a PC that has two small monitor speakers where I record and mix.) The Lyr is working great, it will soon move to a proper music system. My reason for buying it was to compare the Schiit multibit card to a Schiit Modi into the same preamp.

Birth year, by the way, is 1957.

How do you resolder a tube? I have soldering irons of various power levels and real, deadly, lead-containing, solder. I'd love to make the Crosley useable, I actually live in the Cincinnati, Ohio environs. The Crosley tube would be a "hometown" tube, although I do not know if Crosley actually made them or outsourced them. Either way the name "Crosley" is revered in Cincinnati.

Aug 16, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #4,885 of 5,228
Just ordered my closeout multibit dac in black for 770.06 after shipping. Pretty excited to get back in the game. Ill update everyone when it arrives. Now Ill have to get some tubes again. If anyone wants to donate one or two to get me back on my feet lol Jk. Ordered the lcd-2c as well. was talking to my mother while doing a mock order trying to see how much after tax and shipping and accidentally ordered them. Was going to do a comparison to eBay open box set as I didn't know if the open box had a warranty. Oh well what is done is done.
I bought a used Lyr 3 multibit just before Lyr + dropped. Someday soon I’ll A/B it versus a Modi 3.

Aug 16, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #4,886 of 5,228
I bought a used Lyr 3 multibit just before Lyr + dropped. Someday soon I’ll A/B it versus a Modi 3.
I had a Modi multibit and a Vali before I got the lyr 3 last time. I had a lot of fun tube rolling on the Vali but the Lyr 3 multibit blew that combo out of the water in my opinion so I sold the combo.

Aug 16, 2022 at 6:46 PM Post #4,887 of 5,228
I had a Modi multibit and a Vali before I got the lyr 3 last time. I had a lot of fun tube rolling on the Vali but the Lyr 3 multibit blew that combo out of the water in my opinion so I sold the combo.
I will compare Lyr 3 with multibit to Lyr 3 with Modi 3 into the analog input. I’m curious, not compelled. I have a Vali, I suppose I should compare it but it’s in a different room.

Aug 16, 2022 at 7:05 PM Post #4,888 of 5,228
I will compare Lyr 3 with multibit to Lyr 3 with Modi 3 into the analog input. I’m curious, not compelled. I have a Vali, I suppose I should compare it but it’s in a different room.
Id be curious of your impressions. They didn't have the modi multibit available, so it wasn't an option and Im living in a barracks room with limited room right now. Living at a va veterns facility currently until the va fixes my crap as its much cheaper than living in an apartment and I'm on a pretty tight budget due to my injuries and such. So a lyr 3 with the dac is much more space friendly.

Aug 16, 2022 at 7:22 PM Post #4,889 of 5,228
If you can afford new... are you aware of the new Lyr+ that's being released in the next couple of weeks or so? Looks to be a great follow up from the Lyr 3... Solid state is built in, so you can simply unplug the tube and it becomes a SS amp, or switch the tube off using a button for it to become a SS amp. This is a superb step I reckon. (Along with all the other upgrades over the Lyr 3) NOTE: There is no DAC card option with the new amp, which may mean you rule it out. It's a stand alone amp. As far as I read, and iirc, the general consensus seemed to be that the card option wasn't much cop in comparison to a stand alone DAC anyway.
Also note, the Bifrost 2 also got an upgrade!

Anyway, if you are interested/curious...
more info and pics here
If one wants tubes, why purchase the new Lyr+?

It's sole claim to fame seems to be that it can operate without a tube, like 99% of other Schiit amps.

No one can doubt the genius of the Schiit planing and marketing team. Great success story.

Sometimes, I just say Hummmmm.

Aug 16, 2022 at 7:42 PM Post #4,890 of 5,228
If one wants tubes, why purchase the new Lyr+?

It's sole claim to fame seems to be that it can operate without a tube, like 99% of other Schiit amps.

No one can doubt the genius of the Schiit planing and marketing team. Great success story.

Sometimes, I just say Hummmmm.
Well for my Lyr 3 I have the Lisst tube. I have a large screen monitor to PC that I watch youtube videos on and films, setting a timer to shut the PC after say an hour or 2. This is mostly when I plan to fall asleep (with audio coming from Lyr's RCAs to active speakers, not headphones). I often have something on in the background to drift off to, boring documentaries most of the time lol.
I don't wanna leave any of the tubes roasting away while I'm asleep for obvious reasons, so that's where the Lisst comes in. Just plug that in for relatively cool running temps and FAR greater longevity over tubes. That's why I'm interested in the Lyr+, no need to even bother switching tubes, just press a button and the tube portion shuts down leaving a SS amp. Perfect for me.

Also, I really like tubes for most music, but for a lot of synthesized EDM I prefer the SS approach for a clinical repoduction. Call me crazy but I like having the best of both worlds.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back