Schiit Lyr 3 Tube rolling thread.....
Jun 16, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #3,527 of 5,228

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2019 at 10:49 AM Post #3,528 of 5,228
Spent some time last night giving the 7AF7 a thorough workout. The 7AF7 is very similar to the 7N7 -- same loctal base, but with half the heater current and a little less gain. The difference in gain is pretty much unnoticeable in the Lyr 3. With the volume knob in the same place the difference in volume through the 'phones is barely perceptible. I have 3 different labels, but they are all identical inside. Assume they were all made by Sylvania. I haven't done a lot of research to see who the players were with this tube type. It wasn't a popular tube and there weren't a ton of them made, so Sylvania may (may) have been the only manufacturer.

I've read in some forums that the 7AF7 is considered a better sounding tube than the 7N7 and due at least in part to the round plate construction. IMO this is a really nice sounding tube, and one thing that really stands out is the impact and slam it has in the upper bass. Better than the Frankie 7N7. But the Frankie excels in most every other area, and is overall a clearly better sounding tube to me. Perhaps those that prefer the 7AF7 to a 7N7 have never heard the Franken-construction 7N7. Although I haven't done any A/B'ing, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to have a preference for the 7AF7 to the non-Frankie tall bottle 7N7 or any of the short bottle versions. Too much work to find out...I'm just sticking Frankie back in and calling it a day. :slight_smile:

7N7:

7AF7:
Nice job!

Jun 16, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #3,529 of 5,228
Spent some time last night giving the 7AF7 a thorough workout. The 7AF7 is very similar to the 7N7 -- same loctal base, but with half the heater current and a little less gain. The difference in gain is pretty much unnoticeable in the Lyr 3. With the volume knob in the same place the difference in volume through the 'phones is barely perceptible. I have 3 different labels, but they are all identical inside. Assume they were all made by Sylvania. I haven't done a lot of research to see who the players were with this tube type. It wasn't a popular tube and there weren't a ton of them made, so Sylvania may (may) have been the only manufacturer.

I've read in some forums that the 7AF7 is considered a better sounding tube than the 7N7 and due at least in part to the round plate construction. IMO this is a really nice sounding tube, and one thing that really stands out is the impact and slam it has in the upper bass. Better than the Frankie 7N7. But the Frankie excels in most every other area, and is overall a clearly better sounding tube to me. Perhaps those that prefer the 7AF7 to a 7N7 have never heard the Franken-construction 7N7. Although I haven't done any A/B'ing, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to have a preference for the 7AF7 to the non-Frankie tall bottle 7N7 or any of the short bottle versions. Too much work to find out...I'm just sticking Frankie back in and calling it a day. :slight_smile:

7N7:

7AF7:

I agree. My 7AF7 have a nice bass slam to them and if I were not to have heard the Frankendales, would be quite happy with the 7AF7s in lieu of 7N7 Frankies. I may even put my 7AF7 slightly ahead of the non-Lansdale 7N7 in my setup.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #3,531 of 5,228
Does anyone know where to get the Octal LISST Tube for the Lyr 3? It doesn't look like Schiit carries it anymore.
Officially discontinued by Schiit. You'll have to look in the used market for one.

Jun 19, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #3,533 of 5,228
Bummer. I really liked the LISST tubes on the Mjolnir 2. Probably impossible to find a used one at this point. Thanks
I have seen a few pop up, in the classifieds, recently, so don't give up.

Jun 20, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #3,534 of 5,228
Picked up a matched pair of 7N7 'frankentubes'. There was enough detail in the Ebay listing pictures to be reasonably sure that they were frankies. The seller wasn't able to provide any information about the getters but the micas and plates were correct. They arrived today and they match the frankies that I already own in every detail. Better still they sound fantastic (as expected). Listening to Steely Dan's Aja album with one frankie in the SAGA and one in the LYR 3. Happy ears! :)

YTCQiMm.jpg

Jun 20, 2019 at 7:33 PM Post #3,535 of 5,228
Yep. Those are the Top Tier Frankentubes. As I do all the Frankies, I have named these and refer to them as Frankendales as they are Frankies from the Lansdale, PA plant. Very nice -- listening to a Platinum + as I type this!! :wink:

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2019 at 8:19 PM Post #3,536 of 5,228
Jun 20, 2019 at 8:34 PM Post #3,537 of 5,228
And he has …. :wink:

Jun 20, 2019 at 9:37 PM Post #3,538 of 5,228

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2019 at 9:42 PM Post #3,539 of 5,228

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2019 at 9:47 PM Post #3,540 of 5,228

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back