Schiit Lyr 3 Tube rolling thread.....
Jun 21, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #3,556 of 5,226

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #3,557 of 5,226
Sorry to hear about that as well. It would appear that the power-on delay relay is not engaging with an external on/off event (external meaning other than the Lyr's power switch). I'm just guessing here...unfortunate regardless of the reason.
I don't think that is the reason, I assumed it was last time because it happened when the whole rooms RCD tripped but this time I had a single plug in one that only had the Lyr 3 on it and nothing else so the only point of failure possible is the actual Lyr 3.

It is going to the UK dealer for investigation now but that means I won't have headphones (spares are the ones that got killed today) or amp for the foreseeable :frowning2: not sure I will come in my office without them lol...

Jun 21, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #3,558 of 5,226

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2019 at 12:20 AM Post #3,559 of 5,226
So over in the Vali 2 tube rolling thread, people are using adapters to use 6sn7 tubes in place of a 6DJ8. So has any one here did the reverse and use an adapter to use 6DJ8/6922 tubes on their Lyr 3?

Jun 25, 2019 at 5:15 AM Post #3,560 of 5,226
A couple of months ago I bought JJ 6SN7 for my Lyr3. Just right from the box it was better like the stock russian 6N8S. Well, it is kinda hard to say better. Let`s say, it was different. Better soundstage, better detail, better clarity, better and definitely deeper bass. But I was missing the euphoric moments from listening. The moments, when you simply have a pure joy from listening and you can`t stop and you want more and more. As I was thinking the JJ is better like the Russian 6N8S, the truth was, that russian one was little bit more laid back and I had this moments despite the fact, the JJ was better for the first listening. Then I had a hard time in my profession and less time for listening. For a few months I barely listen to my headphone rig.

It is now a few days again, when I start to enjoy my headphone rig again. And I start to compare the tubes again. It seems, that my findings are again the same as from the first moments. But now, it seems like the JJ is changing. It is starting to be more enjoyable. So, my question is, it is due my brain is adapting to sound or the tube is burning in? I guess, the JJ has barely 40 hours of play and I am not able to tell how many hours was russian tube on the go as I bought Lyr3 as an ex-demonstration piece with full garranty, but I have no idea how many hours it was on the work.

Do some of you guys have experience with JJ 6SN7? How many hours it needs until its full potential? I am using Lyr3 as an preamp to Audio-gd C2. So I am letting the Lyr3 on right now, feeding with music for more than 10 hours now. Should I turn it off and again turn it on during the burning in? Or is it ok just let it turned on for a couple of days and then compare if the sound is changing?

Thank you.

Jun 25, 2019 at 7:21 AM Post #3,561 of 5,226
So I am letting the Lyr3 on right now, feeding with music for more than 10 hours now. Should I turn it off and again turn it on during the burning in? Or is it ok just let it turned on for a couple of days and then compare if the sound is changing?

I’ve askes Schiit about leving the Lyr3 on for long times or if it should be turned off every day to save its lifespan. They said no problem leaving it on all the time (if you don’t worry about the tube burning hours too, anyway). :)

Jun 25, 2019 at 8:36 AM Post #3,562 of 5,226
I’ve askes Schiit about leving the Lyr3 on for long times or if it should be turned off every day to save its lifespan. They said no problem leaving it on all the time (if you don’t worry about the tube burning hours too, anyway). :)
I have read theories, that the tube cool down process, is just as important as the powered on process, during burn in. For instance, during week days, I run the tube 4 to 6 hours at a time, in the evening, and then turn off, when I go to bed, and repeat the next day. On weekends, I then let it run all during the day, and again off, when I go to bed. Also, I play music, at normal listening levels, while on.

I am sure others, have done something different, but this works for me. I like to ease into it, and sort of wake the tube up, from it's long slumber. Of course, I am talking about NOS tubes.

Also, I am either wearing the headphones, or checking the sound, every so often, while the amp is on, so as to make sure that there are no weird noises, that could affect the heaphone drivers. For example, loud popping sounds.

Just my 2 cents. :o2smile:

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #3,563 of 5,226
It is now a few days again, when I start to enjoy my headphone rig again. And I start to compare the tubes again. It seems, that my findings are again the same as from the first moments. But now, it seems like the JJ is changing. It is starting to be more enjoyable. So, my question is, it is due my brain is adapting to sound or the tube is burning in? I guess, the JJ has barely 40 hours of play and I am not able to tell how many hours was russian tube on the go as I bought Lyr3 as an ex-demonstration piece with full garranty, but I have no idea how many hours it was on the work.

In my experience it's normal for the sound of a new tube to change a bit after it's been in use for a while (and how long 'a while' is depends on the tube) so I would say that what you're hearing is changes due to burn-in of the JJ tube.

Jun 25, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #3,565 of 5,226
So over in the Vali 2 tube rolling thread, people are using adapters to use 6sn7 tubes in place of a 6DJ8. So has any one here did the reverse and use an adapter to use 6DJ8/6922 tubes on their Lyr 3?

I've used 6N23P which is pretty much identical to a 6DJ8 and also used 6N1P.

6N1P sounds much better.

Hmm, my Westinghouse GTB, and foton 1950 has arrived, has anyone compared these two against eachother?

Quite a few here have both, can't remember specifics but i remember i enjoyed the Westinghouse more.

Jun 25, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #3,566 of 5,226

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2019 at 12:41 AM Post #3,568 of 5,226
Horses of different colors. To my ears, the Foton lends itself well to rock and metal, and the WH-D is more enjoyable with classical and acoustic instruments.

As much as it pains me to say so, I agree with @bcowen, although the WH D getter is no slouch with Rock . :worried:

Aug 22, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #3,569 of 5,226
Well for my Schiit Lyr 3 amp, I just bought that 1950 Sylvania 6SN7GT Bad-boy 3-hole for $75 and a Ken-Rad VT-231 Black Glass for $94, woo!

Are those good deals/good finds?

upload_2019-8-22_13-56-57.png

Sylvania Bad Boy 6SN7GT 1950 3 holes tube.JPG

Aug 22, 2019 at 5:56 PM Post #3,570 of 5,226
Nice. Both very good sounding tubes. I'm especially fond of the Ken-Rad. I meant the Sylvania. No, actually it's the Ken-Rad. But then again... :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back