Schiit Lyr 3 Tube rolling thread.....
Jun 20, 2019 at 10:10 PM Post #3,541 of 5,226
That's just weird.

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Clarification: I do not name the Frankentubes individually. I name the tube type for easy reference.

Ex:
Frankendale = Lansdale Frankentube.
Frankie = The original non-Lansdale version of the Frankentube.
Frankimposters = Looks like the original Frankie, but mica is rounded rectangle (not oval).
Mini-Frankie = Sylvie 7AF7 that has a sound signature very similar to Frankie.

Now the 2x Melz 1578s I have named ...

The 1986 Melz 1578 = Melz Gibson
The 1969 Melz 1578 = Melz Torme

Those are the only 2 tubes I own that have actual names. :D

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2019 at 10:51 PM Post #3,542 of 5,226

Clarification: I do not name the Frankentubes individually. I name the tube type for easy reference.

Ex:
Frankendale = Lansdale Frankentube.
Frankie = The original non-Lansdale version of the Frankentube.
Frankimposters = Looks like the original Frankie, but mica is rounded rectangle (not oval).
Mini-Frankie = Sylvie 7AF7 that has a sound signature very similar to Frankie.

Now the 2x Melz 1578s I have named ...

The 1986 Melz 1578 = Melz Gibson
The 1969 Melz 1578 = Melz Torme

Those are the only 2 tubes I won that have actual names. :D
:face_palm:

Jun 20, 2019 at 11:55 PM Post #3,543 of 5,226
It appears all the Lansdales this seller had are now gone. He had 2 gold-level pairs that I bought, and at least 3 pairs (and maybe 4) of both the platinum and platinum+ grade. Those were the first Lansdales I saw pop up in quite a while (6 months or so).
I got a pair from him, but I've not tried them yet because I'm in the middle of moving house and my tube amps are boxed at the moment.

Jun 21, 2019 at 12:12 AM Post #3,544 of 5,226
I bought 2x Platinum and 2x Platinum + from this seller. I think you will like them. :wink:

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2019 at 1:36 AM Post #3,545 of 5,226
Perhaps my small collection of 6SN7 / 6H8C / 6N8S / 7N7 tubes is a bit limited in scope but these are the best sounding valve I have for the Lyr 3 (and sound really great with one each in the Saga and the Lyr 3). There are several standouts in the drawer: a pair of 1956 Sylvania 6SN7GT with bottom getter and (rare) staggered flat black plates - said to be on par with the Ken-Rad VT-231 (I have no point of reference for this claim but they do sound amazing), a pair of non-Lansdale 7N7 'Frankentubes', and a handful of early 50's Foton 6H8C's with ribbed plates. The Lansdale 'Frankentubes' (Frankendales?) are my favorite of these. ...right now (honeymoon has just started)... with the '56 flat plate Sylvania 6SN7GT's running a very close 2nd.

I got a pair from him, but I've not tried them yet because I'm in the middle of moving house and my tube amps are boxed at the moment.
I bought 2x Platinum and 2x Platinum + from this seller. I think you will like them. :wink:

The pair I just bought from him are Platinum. They sound really good! I agree with Ripper - you'll likely be very pleased with these tubes. :)

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2019 at 3:44 AM Post #3,546 of 5,226
Just a word of caution: do not buy from BangyBangTubes (or Menifee Audio, same entity). One of the most prolific re-labelers out there. More detail if you want it over in the Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers thread, which will take you probably 3 solid days to read through. :relaxed:

For the Bad Boy, you might want to check with Brent Jesse and see if he has anything. You'll pay a bit more than Ebay, but his prices are still very reasonable and you'll get the real thing that's been tested.

http://www.audiotubes.com/

Many other good vendors out there too and don't mean to slight any of them. Brent just seems to be a forum fave with consistently good reviews and comments.
Jessie Brent is a scammer . Make sure you have a full refund / return policy then you will be covered. They stupid thing's Said on this post !! LOl

Jun 21, 2019 at 4:06 AM Post #3,547 of 5,226
YTCQiMm.jpg

These look very nice indeed, and would be very interesting to try! What do I need to look for to indentify these and tell them apart from other 7N7’s?

Listening to Steely Dan's Aja album with one frankie in the SAGA and one in the LYR 3. Happy ears! :)

Double tubing? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Jun 21, 2019 at 9:14 AM Post #3,548 of 5,226

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2019 at 9:45 AM Post #3,549 of 5,226

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #3,550 of 5,226
Is Jessie Brent the same entity as Brent Jesse? Just wondering. Perhaps you have some examples you'd like to share to back up your assertions?

When someone with a grand total of 2 posts jumps in and labels someone else's post as stupid it's usually just the sign of a troll.
That's what the ignore option is for. :wink: I don't see the post anymore, but thought the same thing. That avatar, freaked me out, as well.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2019 at 10:30 AM Post #3,551 of 5,226

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2019 at 10:32 AM Post #3,552 of 5,226
That's what the ignore option is for. :wink: I don't see the post anymore...

What's the fun in that?? :smirk:

The post is still there, but I was totally unaware of the ignore option. Let's see....Ignore @Ripper2860 . Crap, didn't work. Maybe there's a hidden 'anti-ignore' option? :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah. There's an app for that!! :p

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2019 at 10:40 AM Post #3,553 of 5,226
Okay now I am really pissed... My Lyr 3 has just killed my backup headphones as well, the sound has gone all strange and very quite, tried different tubes and amps so it is definitely the headphones. I had a stand-alone RCD plugged in just for my Lyr 3 after the first time this happened and it is the only thing that tripped meaning the fault is within the amp and not anything else in my office. My first pair of headphones are getting fixed under warranty but these ones were my 21st Birthday present and are 8 years old now so I am SOL with them...

Really not impressed :frowning2:

Jun 21, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #3,554 of 5,226
Wow. I really don't know what to say except, I'm sorry. Definitely reach out to Schiit support and see what they may have to say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back