Schiit Lyr 3 Tube rolling thread.....
Mar 14, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #4,786 of 5,228
After the GEC L63 experience (& the K-R 6J5 experience), this Lyr 3 will not likely return to ‘6SN7-dom’. The music presentation is too involving, too captivating…😍
62E10ACA-8FCE-4BC8-835C-584147EE7A18.jpeg

Mar 20, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #4,787 of 5,228
I'm going through my stack of old tubes I got with the Saga Plus. What does it mean if a tube sounds "heavy" to one side? Like the sound is not balanced between left and right. It wasn't that one side was louder. It's just the it seemed more was happening on the right than the left. Especially bass tones.

Mar 20, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #4,788 of 5,228
It means that the tube is likely not well balanced and that the 2 triodes measure significantly different from each other. Each triode in a dual triode tube represents 1 channel of the stereo pair.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #4,790 of 5,228
At least one half has. Time to put that tube out to pasture. If the amp's auto- bias cannot compensate for the imbalance, then it's too far gone.

Mar 20, 2022 at 7:56 PM Post #4,791 of 5,228
Welcome. My tip to you is to just pull the bandage off quickly. Quality vs Quantity. Buy a handful of really well regarded tubes as opposed to buying butt-loads in hopes of finding a diamond in the rough. Learn from others and let @bcowen serve as an example of how not to do it. (And me to a lesser extent.) 😄
Should be a sticky.

I applaud you sir.

Mar 26, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #4,792 of 5,228
Anyone got a suggestion about a tube upgrade? I have a Lyr 3 and mostly listen to jazz music (all jazz sub-genres), pop and sometimes some symphonic/"classical." Right now I just have the stock tube supplied by Schiit. I looked through this thread maybe 6 months ago but couldn't get a solid understanding of what sounds best or pairs well with certain kinds of music.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #4,793 of 5,228
Anyone got a suggestion about a tube upgrade? I have a Lyr 3 and mostly listen to jazz music (all jazz sub-genres), pop and sometimes some symphonic/"classical." Right now I just have the stock tube supplied by Schiit. I looked through this thread maybe 6 months ago but couldn't get a solid understanding of what sounds best or pairs well with certain kinds of music.
I’m looking for a tube that is an all-rounder and works with all kinds of music as well as tv and film. To that end, I have found the new production Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB to be good. I also like the Shuguang CV181-Z (white base black glass). The Z being a little leaner but also having a bit larger stage.

Perhaps you already have the TS, it is one of the possible stock tubes one can get with the Lyr3, depending on what they have at the time.

Mar 26, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #4,794 of 5,228
Here are a couple of ideas: Sylvania 6SN7GTB ‘chrome dome’, Raytheon 6SN7, Ken-Rad VT-231. [My listening—> jazz, R&B, blues, funk, R&R not ‘metal’, symphonic.]

Mar 26, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #4,795 of 5,228
I’m looking for a tube that is an all-rounder and works with all kinds of music as well as tv and film. To that end, I have found the new production Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB to be good. I also like the Shuguang CV181-Z (white base black glass). The Z being a little leaner but also having a bit larger stage.

Perhaps you already have the TS, it is one of the possible stock tubes one can get with the Lyr3, depending on what they have at the time.

Here are a couple of ideas: Sylvania 6SN7GTB ‘chrome dome’, Raytheon 6SN7, Ken-Rad VT-231. [My listening—> jazz, R&B, blues, funk, R&R not ‘metal’, symphonic.]
Thanks. I did some digging and have selected as my first purchase consideration at least tentatively to between the Tung-Sol new production 6SN7GTB; Sylvania 6SN7GT Bad Boy; and last I'm looking at the Marconi 6SN7GTB which is supposedly good for jazz. Someone said the Sylvania I mentioned to not be compatible because of the difference in plate voltage, but I'm still looking at reviews, etc. Prices and availability differ I'm finding between these options. My Lyr 3 came with the J&J 6SN7.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #4,796 of 5,228
Thanks. I did some digging and have selected as my first purchase consideration at least tentatively to between the Tung-Sol new production 6SN7GTB; Sylvania 6SN7GT Bad Boy; and last I'm looking at the Marconi 6SN7GTB which is supposedly good for jazz. Someone said the Sylvania I mentioned to not be compatible because of the difference in plate voltage, but I'm still looking at reviews, etc. Prices and availability differ I'm finding between these options. My Lyr 3 came with the J&J 6SN7.
A Sylvania 6SN7GT should be fine. What year is it? Does it have a “two-hole” plate or a “three-hole” plate? Does the seller state how the tube is a ‘Bad Boy’? 🤔

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #4,797 of 5,228
A Sylvania 6SN7GT should be fine. What year is it? Does it have a “two-hole” plate or a “three-hole” plate? Does the seller state how the tube is a ‘Bad Boy’? 🤔
This guy has it listed here under #5
https://valvesnmore.com/?product=6sn7-12sn7-tubes
Any opinion would be helpful either on this re-seller or particular tube. Based on his description I'm thinking I will probably go for the Sylvania 6SN7GTB like you said ealier. Btw thanks for all the help.

Mar 26, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #4,798 of 5,228
In an amp designed specifically for a -GTB and running the higher plate voltages that the GTB can handle, then yes, a regular GT could be a problem. The Lyr 3 is not running those higher voltages and any 6SN7GT will be perfectly fine in it.

FWIW, I didn't much care for the JJ myself, so for my ears most anything you get will be a step up from that.

Mar 26, 2022 at 4:37 PM Post #4,799 of 5,228
This guy has it listed here under #5
https://valvesnmore.com/?product=6sn7-12sn7-tubes
Any opinion would be helpful either on this re-seller or particular tube. Based on his description I'm thinking I will probably go for the Sylvania 6SN7GTB like you said ealier. Btw thanks for all the help.
I can't tell from the picture provided whether that's a true Bad Boy or not. Either way, $150 is about twice the going market price.

Mar 26, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #4,800 of 5,228
In an amp designed specifically for a -GTB and running the higher plate voltages that the GTB can handle, then yes, a regular GT could be a problem. The Lyr 3 is not running those higher voltages and any 6SN7GT will be perfectly fine in it.

FWIW, I didn't much care for the JJ myself, so for my ears most anything you get will be a step up from that.

I can't tell from the picture provided whether that's a true Bad Boy or not. Either way, $150 is about twice the going market price.
Thanks. I will probably try and find something on ebay then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back