Schiit Lyr 3 Tube rolling thread.....
Mar 26, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #4,801 of 5,228
None of those pictures are Bad Boys. The mica structure is a give away that they are not. Bad Boy has rectangular mica with 3 slightly downward turning triangular spikes in each short side of the top mica. None are present on the left tube and the right tube is a round spiked mica.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2022 at 1:29 AM Post #4,802 of 5,228
Mar 27, 2022 at 1:44 AM Post #4,803 of 5,228
The plan was simply to try a new tube in my Lyr 3, casually, just something besides the JJ 6SN7 that came with it. Started looking for info on tubes and found this place. So naturally...

I've now received 10 of the tubes I've ordered on the way down the rabbit hole. This is fun. Question. Two of the tubes I ended up with are Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB, angled black T-plates, top D Getter. These seem well regarded, albeit not the most popular or sought after tubes. What I'm really wondering about though, is the branding. I haven't seen either of these mentioned here:

- Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB branded "EICO" (seller says 1957)
- Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB branded "STROMBERG -CARLSON" (seller didn't indicate a year)

Just wondering if anyone knows any history on 6SN7s with this branding or these specific tubes. Or anything about these TS 6SN7GTBs in general.

Mar 27, 2022 at 4:29 AM Post #4,804 of 5,228
The plan was simply to try a new tube in my Lyr 3, casually, just something besides the JJ 6SN7 that came with it. Started looking for info on tubes and found this place. So naturally...
That’s usually the way it starts.. :ksc75smile:

I've now received 10 of the tubes I've ordered on the way down the rabbit hole. This is fun. Question. Two of the tubes I ended up with are Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB, angled black T-plates, top D Getter. These seem well regarded, albeit not the most popular or sought after tubes. What I'm really wondering about though, is the branding. I haven't seen either of these mentioned here:

- Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB branded "EICO" (seller says 1957)
- Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB branded "STROMBERG -CARLSON" (seller didn't indicate a year)

Just wondering if anyone knows any history on 6SN7s with this branding or these specific tubes. Or anything about these TS 6SN7GTBs in general.
Not specifically, I don’t recognise there names as actual tube manufacturers, but it was common practice back then (as is still today) that companies had tubes rebranded for them by other manufacturers. Even among tube manufacturers themselves. Things like the internal structure of the tubes can give a clue as to who really manufactured it. For example, I have learnt that etched dots on the glass is a dead giveaway that they were manufactured by GE.

Mar 30, 2022 at 7:12 PM Post #4,805 of 5,228
Due to the Lyr 3 being just a single tube does it make sense to buy a used matched pair? There are a few matched pairs of 6SN7 on CAM that could be worth getting.

Mar 30, 2022 at 7:14 PM Post #4,806 of 5,228
Never hurts to have a backup as long as the matched status is not at a premium.

Mar 30, 2022 at 7:29 PM Post #4,807 of 5,228
Never hurts to have a backup as long as the matched status is not at a premium.

Okay cause here is a few I am looking at.

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649843890-matched-pair-6sn7-tung-sol-tall-bottle/

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649843845-matched-pair-6sn7-sylvania/

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/det...-tube-cossor-6sn7-electronic-tube-match-pair/

Also came across this set. I can't recall if this was mentioned in this thread or the 6SN7 thread but can 6SL7 technically be used in the Lyr 3? Someone mentioned they have higher distortion so it's best not to use them.

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649843844-matched-pair-6sl7-tj-full-music/

Mar 30, 2022 at 10:48 PM Post #4,808 of 5,228
I wouldn't suggest 6SL7 in Lyr 3. They are very high gain - much higher than 6SN7 and will likely over drive the amp.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2022 at 1:18 AM Post #4,809 of 5,228
I wouldn't suggest 6SL7 in Lyr 3. They are very high gain - much higher than 6SN7 and will likely over drive the amp.
Amplification factors: 6SL7 = 70x; 6SN7 = 20x.

Apr 14, 2022 at 9:13 PM Post #4,812 of 5,228
I’m looking for a tube that is an all-rounder and works with all kinds of music as well as tv and film. To that end, I have found the new production Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB to be good. I also like the Shuguang CV181-Z (white base black glass). The Z being a little leaner but also having a bit larger stage.

Perhaps you already have the TS, it is one of the possible stock tubes one can get with the Lyr3, depending on what they have at the time.
Shuguang CV181-z is an excellent valve. I rotate it with a PSvane lightbulb, and 15 other tubes, many wartime (WWII) 6FAG military issue (my favorites), including a round plate marked GE, but produced by another manufacturer. I call it my BCowen.

Here's a good compendium.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2022 at 8:13 AM Post #4,813 of 5,228
Has anyone seen any good deals on matched pairs lately? I'm looking to buy at least 2 sets of 2 tubes, don't have to be the same.

I just got a Freya and have a set of kenrad vt231 and Sylvania vt231 but since this was a used unit I don't know how long these are going to last but they really sound excellent.

I'm not looking to roll tubes just to get the best additional set's that I can for the eventual burnout of these.

Yeah I guess I should be posting this in the Freya thread. I got lost lol!

Apr 18, 2022 at 7:11 AM Post #4,814 of 5,228
I can't tell from the picture provided whether that's a true Bad Boy or not. Either way, $150 is about twice the going market price.
There are some Bad Boy 1952 on ebay, but they just went up from $150 to $250 for a plat matched pair.

These are the only ones he lists as Bad Boy, vs. the other Sylvanias with "Bad Boy plates" that are listed.

I got some very nice tubes from him, seems to be honest.

I'm confused if the 'true' "Bad Boy" has two or three holes.

These GEC look too good to be true.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #4,815 of 5,228
Here's my 1951 "2 Hole Bad Boy" as I understand it... :thinking:

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

e.jpg

f.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back