Schiit Lyr 3 Tube rolling thread.....
Feb 20, 2022 at 9:33 PM Post #4,756 of 5,228
I've never bought from Etsy before but this seller was recommended. If an item is "in a person's basket" does that mean it's not available for purchase? Also most of what this seller has for 6SN7 tubes are in pairs. Does it make sense to buy a pair if the Lyr 3 only hold one tube?
https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/Lowtec..._id=1113336724&search_query=6sn7&page=2#items
I asked the same seller at that. Apparently it's just Etsy's way into pressuring folks to buy something - you know, before the "other person" does

Feb 21, 2022 at 5:37 PM Post #4,757 of 5,228
My greatest fear is that after I die my wife will sell my tubes (and camera gear) for what I said I paid for it. 😯
You need to start the story that many of your investments in tubes have really paid off, and even you are amazed at how valuable many of them have become in today's market.

Feb 21, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #4,758 of 5,228
You need to start the story that many of your investments in tubes have really paid off, and even you are amazed at how valuable many of them have become in today's market.
…and you need to emphasise that none of the sonic/financial payoffs came from GE tubes…🤔

Feb 23, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #4,760 of 5,228
So I just received a couple new tubes. Nothing high end but just a couple new ones to try out. What is the best way to "burn in" the tubes? Just let them burn while I listen? Or keep the Lyr 3 on for a couple days?

Attachments

• IMG_4003.JPG
    IMG_4003.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
Feb 23, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #4,761 of 5,228
My suggestion is listen. And if you choose, leave the amp on playing music or white noise and HP plugged in when not actively listening (maybe wrapped in a towel if the sound bothers you). Just leaving the amp on with nothing playing won't really run them in properly.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #4,762 of 5,228
So I just received a couple new tubes. Nothing high end but just a couple new ones to try out. What is the best way to "burn in" the tubes? Just let them burn while I listen? Or keep the Lyr 3 on for a couple days?
I do both, turn the amp on in the morning, a listening session or two during the day, when not listening I still play something thru the amp. Shut it down when I head for bed. I remember at some point in the distant past some mention that the cool down cycle, say overniite, was an important part of the process. Don't know the veracity of this point, however. As I mentioned in a previous post, the acid test; buy 2 identical new tubes, play one for 50 to 100 hours. Pop tin the virgin tube and see if you hear a difference with the "broken in" one. I do like 6SN7 Tung-Sols, and their EL-34 power tubes are a favorite of mine in my power amp and didn't seem to need the hours of burn-in as say with the Gold Lion KT-77's.

Feb 23, 2022 at 5:36 PM Post #4,763 of 5,228
I do both, turn the amp on in the morning, a listening session or two during the day, when not listening I still play something thru the amp. Shut it down when I head for bed. I remember at some point in the distant past some mention that the cool down cycle, say overniite, was an important part of the process. Don't know the veracity of this point, however. As I mentioned in a previous post, the acid test; buy 2 identical new tubes, play one for 50 to 100 hours. Pop tin the virgin tube and see if you hear a difference with the "broken in" one. I do like 6SN7 Tung-Sols, and their EL-34 power tubes are a favorite of mine in my power amp and didn't seem to need the hours of burn-in as say with the Gold Lion KT-77's.

Okay cool. Would it be a good idea to leave it on while I'm away at work? The Lyr 3 being a hybrid doesn't get too warm but I'm still cautious.

Feb 23, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #4,764 of 5,228
It would probably be okay, given the number of pieces of equipment now days that are always on at some low level, like Yggdrasil. Jut be sure of plenty of air circulation around the amp and nothing flammable nearby. However, I have no idea what happens to the amp if a tube fails. Never had that happen to me. But, between weekday evenings and weekends you should be able to get around 50 hours of play time per week and somewhere around 50 up to 100 hours seems to be the sweet spot for tubes that need to be run in. NOS tubes may already have a lot of hours on them already:wink:

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #4,765 of 5,228
My suggestion is listen. And if you choose, leave the amp on playing music or white noise and HP plugged in when not actively listening (maybe wrapped in a towel if the sound bothers you). Just leaving the amp on with nothing playing won't really run them in properly.

Okay cool. Would it be a good idea to leave it on while I'm away at work? The Lyr 3 being a hybrid doesn't get too warm but I'm still cautious.
To clarify the comment by @Ripper2860 - he was referring to wrap the headphones in a towel. NOT the amp!!!!!!

Feb 23, 2022 at 8:25 PM Post #4,766 of 5,228
To clarify the comment by @Ripper2860 - he was referring to wrap the headphones in a towel. NOT the amp!!!!!!
…if still confused, it’s time to throw in the towel 🤪🤣

Feb 23, 2022 at 9:12 PM Post #4,767 of 5,228
…if still confused, it’s time to throw in the towel 🤪🤣
LOL! But I'm not a big fan of the towel idea to reduce sound radiation. Better to wire one earcup out of phase relative to the other, then duct tape the cups together face-to-face. Very little sound will escape.

Feb 23, 2022 at 9:17 PM Post #4,768 of 5,228
Oh, so you've moved on from your previous recommendation of placing headphones in a Ziplock bag and immersing them in the toilet tank. :toilet:

:smirk:

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2022 at 9:26 PM Post #4,769 of 5,228
Oh, so you've moved on from your previous recommendation of placing headphones in a Ziplock bag and immersing them in the toilet. :toilet:

Never thought of that. But it's not terribly surprising you did. :laughing:

Besides, you'll remember I have a CBI for burning in tubes. :computer:

Feb 23, 2022 at 10:42 PM Post #4,770 of 5,228
Oh, so you've moved on from your previous recommendation of placing headphones in a Ziplock bag and immersing them in the toilet tank. :toilet:
…wholesome, immature, adolescent activity…👍🤪🤣

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back