Schiit Lyr 3 Tube rolling thread.....
Apr 4, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #3,256 of 5,228
That's the reason for backups. And backups for the backups. And backups for the backups of the backups. That's what I keep telling myself anyway. :slight_smile::smile:

:astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished:

Apr 4, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #3,257 of 5,228
Hmmm further listening with the melz round hole 1578+HD800 it seems that high gain sounds better, etc, I do believe i read somewhere the lyr 3 uses more negative feedback in the low-gain position.
High gain sounds better to me with all tubes I've used. have a passive Tisbury volume control set to -10dB between my DAC (Metrum Onyx) and the amps (Lyr 3 and Apex Peak) so that I can have amp volume controls around the middle position (depending on recording).

Apr 4, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #3,258 of 5,228

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #3,259 of 5,228
I should look at doing something similar. I'm normally around 9:00 with the Lyr's volume pot which is likely not the optimum spot for best channel balance.
We have been discussing passive preamp/attenuators over on the Liquid Platinum thread, and I never thought to use one with my Lyr 3. I feel that I am way past any channel imbalance way before 9 and never go past 10. However, I am still learning about this, and is it not optimal to be around 9? even though I dont hear any imbalance? I am worried about degrading the sound, when using attenuators, so I am not using any yet.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2019 at 1:16 PM Post #3,260 of 5,228

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #3,261 of 5,228
We have been discussing passive preamp/attenuators over on the Liquid Platinum thread, and I never thought to use one with my Lyr 3. I feel that I am way past any channel imbalance way before 9 and never go past 10. However, I am still learning about this, and is it not optimal to be around 9? even though I dont hear any imbalance? I am worried about degrading the sound, when using attenuators, so I am not using any yet.

Most inexpensive pots track best in the 10:00 - 3:00 range. But that's just in general, and imbalances at either extreme can be very minor. The Lyr's pot may be perfectly fine around 9:00, and like you I haven't ever detected any audible issues using it there. I'm just anal, again in general. :slight_smile:

I'm in the camp that believes that if there are no imbalance issues on the pot at the volume you want to listen at, then it is complete nervosa of the brain to worry about if you're at 3:00 or 9:00. I also don't recall there being any imbalance on my Lyr at anything but the very lowest volume settings, which almost all pots have, so...

Apr 4, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #3,262 of 5,228
The Lyr 3 uses an alps pot. I've used it plenty of times with great success and the base Woo WA5 uses it as well. If there are any bottlenecks it's not the volume pot. You only should have imbalance at very low end where it's too quiet anyway.

Apr 4, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #3,263 of 5,228
I'm in the camp that believes that if there are no imbalance issues on the pot at the volume you want to listen at, then it is complete nervosa of the brain to worry about if you're at 3:00 or 9:00. I also don't recall there being any imbalance on my Lyr at anything but the very lowest volume settings, which almost all pots have, so...
Cool! Yep, my lyr 3 has almost no audible imbalance anywhere, so back to the music. Thanks for calming me, back down!

Apr 4, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #3,264 of 5,228

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #3,265 of 5,228
Well in that case I'll need something else to be nervous about.

I wonder if @Ripper2860 has more tubes than me. That would be terrible. Maybe I should go count. But count new ones as well as used ones? What about questionable ones? Crap...having a minor panic attack...

:open_mouth::open_mouth:

What we need here is one of those "Bassmaster" weigh-ins at a tractor trailer weight station to determine who has the most tubes, should be quicker than counting (and losing track during the count). So each of you bring your storage trailers, chock full of tubes, and we'll see whose got the bigger load.

As far as channel tracking, I'd be willing to bet there are fewer bad tracking pots than bad tracking ears (and you can't be certain without having an audiologist test for it).

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #3,266 of 5,228
What we need here is one of those "Bassmaster" weigh-ins at a tractor trailer weight station to determine who has the most tubes, should be quicker than counting (and losing track during the count). So each of you bring your storage trailers and we'll see whose got the bigger load.

As far as channel tracking, I'd be willing to bet there are fewer bad tracking pots than bad tracking ears (and you can't be certain without having an audiologist test for it).
Love it! I just caught 4 bass on beds, on my lunch break. Those weigh-ins are fun with fish, and would be even more fun with NOS tubes!

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #3,267 of 5,228

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2019 at 7:20 PM Post #3,268 of 5,228
Golly-Gee. I think @bcowen might have a man-crush on me! He does seem to admire me and puts me up on a pedestal just high enough to look up my cargo shorts!!! :p

Apr 4, 2019 at 7:49 PM Post #3,269 of 5,228

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2019 at 8:25 PM Post #3,270 of 5,228
Golly-Gee. I think @bcowen might have a man-crush on me! He does seem to admire me and puts me up on a pedestal just high enough to look up my cargo shorts!!! :p

giphy.gif

Your delusional state is becoming epic.

But cargo shorts? Are those on the shelf just above where your leisure suits hang? Or do you fold them neatly and keep them in the '72 Vega sitting on blocks in your front yard?

:stuck_out_tongue:

giphy (1).gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back