Schiit Lyr 3 Tube rolling thread.....
Apr 3, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #3,241 of 5,228
I'm fortunate enough to have both Brimars and MELZ,

MELZ definitely worth having and is up there with the Brimars for SQ, but be prepared to get the soldering iron out because of bad solder joints in the pins.
Thats enough to make me not want them anymore. Thanks for that!

Apr 3, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #3,242 of 5,228
Ah, ok. How fortunate that all those who put time and thought into those posts don't have work or a life. Perhaps one of them will take some more time and summarize everything for you so that you don't have to lift a finger....just won't be me.

LOL!

Apr 3, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #3,243 of 5,228
Perhaps one of them will take some more time and summarize everything for you
Ohh! Pick me! I'll do it. Ok, here goes...

All tubes sound different, and it's a crap shoot that any of them will match your preferences regardless of how much they have been subjectively reviewed, so get out there and try some in your system instead of leaning on others' to do the work for you. :)

I really do mean that in the nicest way.

Apr 3, 2019 at 11:22 PM Post #3,244 of 5,228
so get out there and try some in your system
No kidding. The Reliatron D-getter I bought from you (thanks again!) totally revived the Lyr 3 for me, after several months of neglect while I listened to my exotic Apex Peak+Psvane 6SN7-SE setup. There's something just magical in the Metrum Onyx>Lyr 3+D-getter>MrSpeakers Ether C Flow 1.1 chain for modern jazz that I can't quite put my finger on but keeps me hooked way too late in the evening. The only sad part is that the D-getter won't last forever and when it goes it will be very unlikely that D-getters are still available.

For my music tastes and with this DAC, amp, and headphones, the D-getter beats the Psvane tubes (6SN7-SE and 6SN7-UK) and throws some shade on the Apex Peak setup. Impressive. But YMMV.

Apr 4, 2019 at 8:20 AM Post #3,245 of 5,228

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2019 at 8:22 AM Post #3,246 of 5,228

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2019 at 8:51 AM Post #3,247 of 5,228
No kidding. The Reliatron D-getter I bought from you (thanks again!) totally revived the Lyr 3 for me, after several months of neglect while I listened to my exotic Apex Peak+Psvane 6SN7-SE setup. There's something just magical in the Metrum Onyx>Lyr 3+D-getter>MrSpeakers Ether C Flow 1.1 chain for modern jazz that I can't quite put my finger on but keeps me hooked way too late in the evening. The only sad part is that the D-getter won't last forever and when it goes it will be very unlikely that D-getters are still available.

For my music tastes and with this DAC, amp, and headphones, the D-getter beats the Psvane tubes (6SN7-SE and 6SN7-UK) and throws some shade on the Apex Peak setup. Impressive. But YMMV.
That's why we buy backups and backups for my backup tube. I literally had this written, an hour ago, but forgot to hit send, and bcowen beat me to it. Good to know, that I am not alone.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #3,248 of 5,228
I am currently burning in my 3rd CV1988, and 1 more on the way. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I have convinced myself, that I enjoy the Lyr 3 so much, that I am keeping it for the long haul. Hince the tube collecting. . .

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2019 at 9:01 AM Post #3,249 of 5,228

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2019 at 9:29 AM Post #3,250 of 5,228
Ah, ok. How fortunate that all those who put time and thought into those posts don't have work or a life. Perhaps one of them will take some more time and summarize everything for you so that you don't have to lift a finger....just won't be me.
Let`s try to be not so serious. I mean my words really in a nice way, as a joke. There is no need to be upset... Like really...

Apr 4, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #3,251 of 5,228
That's the reason for backups. And backups for the backups. And backups for the backups of the backups. That's what I keep telling myself anyway. :slight_smile::smile:

35 backups (as seen in photo)... Bill - I guess the Foton is not your favorite tube? :wink:

Apr 4, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #3,253 of 5,228
Hmmm further listening with the melz round hole 1578+HD800 it seems that high gain sounds better, etc, I do believe i read somewhere the lyr 3 uses more negative feedback in the low-gain position.
High gain, has always sounded better for me, with all my Schiit gear. However, with my t50 mods, they need the extra power anyway.

Apr 4, 2019 at 10:19 AM Post #3,254 of 5,228

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #3,255 of 5,228

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back