Schiit Lyr 3 Tube rolling thread.....
Jun 2, 2018 at 1:12 PM Post #226 of 5,228
Thanks. I ordered 20. (That doesn't bode well for me.)

On a related matter:

Received the Foton flat T-Plate from Upscale. I removed the Ken-Rad while whispering to it in a reassuring tone that this was just temporary and it was getting a much deserved rest. Once the KR was secured in the storage box and could not see what I was doing, I placed the Upscale purchased Foton in the Lyr 3. It's only been about 60 minutes and I'm liking what I hear. The mids seem more pronounced (not sure if it's overly so until it's fully cooked) and more layers. Bass doesn't seem too shabby either. Of course, I'm not listening in an overly critical fashion at this point, as it is way too early in the tube simmering process.

I also received the Westinghouse GTB, but that will be for another time, as I don't want to rush things or risk the wife seeing it just yet. ** :smirk:

** It's not that she's a B**** about it, it's just the disappointed look and head-shake resulting yet another attempt at me explaining my obsession in hopes that she'll finally get it. (And my knowing deep down inside, that she never will.) Damn, her practical side!! :D

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #227 of 5,228
My Ken Rad Black Glass arrived today, I forget who convinced me to buy it on this thread, but the microphonics are the worst I have ever heard in my life, that being said, when the volume is cranked, it does sound good, really good actually. Most of my headphone stable is sensitive cans though which exacerbates the microphonics (and for some reason its only the left ear that suffers, even at 0 volume there is a loud static noise on lyr 3 with this tube none of my other tubes do this)... so I am not sure if its just a defective tube

Jun 2, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #228 of 5,228
That sounds like a bad tube. I have the KR (1940's) and it is dead silent. Microphonics is usually a ringing sound -- not static, I'd reach out to the seller.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #229 of 5,228

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #230 of 5,228
Did you clean the tube pins? And along with that, if you've been swapping a lot of tubes in and out of the Lyr it would be good to clean its socket contacts.

Obviously could be a bad tube, but poor or intermittent electrical contact can easily be responsible for the static noise and may contribute to what's perceived as microphonics.

no other tube has microphonics and yes before i put this tube in my lyr 3 i use 99% isoproyl alcohol, on end of a qtip and cleaned each pin. and let it dry... i think its just a bad tube, only cost $31 on ebay "untested" im gonna just mail it back for refund i think and stick with tung sol.

Jun 2, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #232 of 5,228
Lyr 3 arrived today, comparison with MCTH and Torpedo III underway...

looking forward to it mate. I was not a fan of the MCTH at all. my DIY tube amp starving student millet with 2x USAF tubes stomped the MCTH and only cost $85.

verdict is still out on lyr 3. i need more time to decide.

Jun 2, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #233 of 5,228
...im gonna just mail it back for refund i think and stick with tung sol.

It would be a shame if you gave up on getting a KR. If you can, keep it on your list of future tubes and sometime later try a used tested tube from a reputable seller. It'll be a little more than the $31 you paid (maybe $50'ish with shipping), but certainly less frustration for you and less risk to your Lyr 3.

BTW -- The Tung-Sol is a nice tube. You could sit pat there and likely be very happy.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #234 of 5,228
I was not a fan of the MCTH at all. my DIY tube amp starving student millet with 2x USAF tubes stomped the MCTH and only cost $85.

I like the MCTH well enough. I find it's quite similar to the Torpedo in many respects. Less aggressive and dynamic, but with a more natural soundstage.

That said, the Starving Student is a legendary amp! Although I've not heard it myself, it's not surprising to me that someone might prefer it.

Jun 2, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #235 of 5,228
That sounds like a bad tube. I have the KR (1940's) and it is dead silent. Microphonics is usually a ringing sound -- not static, I'd reach out to the seller.

I agree, especially if none of your other tubes display this static.

The USA made Tung-Sol WGBT JAN of 60's vintage is a very nice sounding tube and I prefer it to the stock one.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #236 of 5,228
Last edited:
Jun 2, 2018 at 9:11 PM Post #237 of 5,228

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #238 of 5,228
Thank you!! Finally a potentially negative aspect to a tube that puts the kabash on an impulse buy!! :wink:

Jun 3, 2018 at 5:12 AM Post #239 of 5,228
Raytheon 6F8G now in the Lyr 3

Very neutral sounding tube, detailed but not overly analytical. Treble is the best i've heard yet from any headphone / amp, smooth but detailed and airy and very natural.

Bass is tight and controlled, mids are neutral, not recessed.

Soundstage nearly as wide as the NEVZ 6N1P-EV's i've been using, but has a lot more depth, is more 3D.

Very good tube worth trying.

Gave this some more burn in time with pink noise overnight. Seems to have developed much more, bass quantity has improved, more warmth to the midrange.
This is an all day easy to listen to tube, the MELZ is more of a party tube.

Joint first place now with the MELZ this 6F8G, if you want more slam or you're headphones are a bit anaemic then the MELZ, but otherwise the Raytheon 6F8G is the most natural sounding tube i've ever heard.

Jun 3, 2018 at 7:07 AM Post #240 of 5,228
QdMEaNi.jpg

L-R Sylvania 6SN7, Melz ribbed plates, Foton ribbed plates, Foton plain plates, stock 6H8C(possibly Nevz)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back