Schiit Lyr 3 Tube rolling thread.....
Jun 3, 2018 at 7:11 AM Post #241 of 5,226

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2018 at 7:15 AM Post #242 of 5,226

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #243 of 5,226
Got the '53 Foton ribbed plates today (was delivered yesterday but not my address 'cos i'm always at work)

After warming up for 90 minutes had a quick listen, sounds great already.

I bought them as NOS but you never know if they have been used, might be burned in already.

Will burn in overnight and all day tomorrow, if this is as good as they get still an incredible bargain for the sound, $21 for the pair and only $8 shipping to the UK.

Jun 4, 2018 at 12:05 AM Post #244 of 5,226
Got the '53 Foton ribbed plates today (was delivered yesterday but not my address 'cos i'm always at work)

After warming up for 90 minutes had a quick listen, sounds great already.

I bought them as NOS but you never know if they have been used, might be burned in already.

Will burn in overnight and all day tomorrow, if this is as good as they get still an incredible bargain for the sound, $21 for the pair and only $8 shipping to the UK.

Where did you get them Please?

Jun 6, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #246 of 5,226
6GPtdCr.jpg

Tried the 6N3P-DR with the adaptor, works and sounds great.

Just a note of caution: due to my carelessnes, rolled in a bad tube and it popped the driver of my HD650, pretty costly mistake. The Lyr 3 got enough power to fry heapdhones.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2018 at 6:10 AM Post #247 of 5,226
6GPtdCr.jpg

Tried the 6N3P-DR with the adaptor, works and sounds great.

Just a note of caution: due to my carelessnes, rolled in a bad tube and it popped the driver of my HD650, pretty costly mistake. The Lyr 3 got enough power to fry heapdhones.
Sorry to hear that! How can a bad tube pop a driver? I have never heard of that. What should I look out for?

Jun 7, 2018 at 8:16 AM Post #248 of 5,226
Sorry to hear that! How can a bad tube pop a driver? I have never heard of that. What should I look out for?

Well, after the relay clicked, right driver made a pop sound and the left driver made buzzing sound while music still audible. Quickly turned the amp off, swapped another tube and the headphones does not sound right. The right driver sounds like a tweeter only and very faint, left driver got no more bass response. Had same thing happen with the Vali 2 but no harm to the headphones, guess the lyr 3 is too powerful. Most probably a shorted tube. Better have your tubes tested for shorts.

Jun 7, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #249 of 5,226
Bad tubes? I get a pop, every time the relay clicks on, and nothing bad has happened. I actually emailed Schiit with concern, on the issue, and they assured me it would not hurt my headphones.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2018 at 8:44 AM Post #250 of 5,226
Bad tubes? I get a pop, every time the relay clicks on, and nothing bad has happened. I actually emailed Schiit with concern, on the issue, and they assured me it would not hurt my headphones.

Yup, stuff like this happens with vintage tubes, already had a few bad ones from this batch. Symptoms range from buzzing to hum to weak sound. I usually tried it in the Vali 2 with no ill effects.

That is the normal pop you got, some tubes do that and some don’t, you just hear the relay click.

Jun 7, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #251 of 5,226
Jun 7, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #252 of 5,226
Jun 8, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #253 of 5,226
'53 Foton ribbed plate burned in nicely now, really opened up.

This is a special tube. Them Russkies really know what they're doing :)

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #254 of 5,226
I have a '55 ribbed I'm letting simmer before passing judgement. So far it has great promise once I get past the Jekyll and Hyde aspects of the break-in process. It has revealed the wonderfully musical side that awaits once the metal garbage-can lid clanging demon side has been banished. :D I also have 6x '53 ribbed Fotons on their way from Russia.

Once cooked, I suspect it's going to be a tough call between these Fotons and the Ken-Rad. It's close, and will likely depend on the headphone pairing.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2018 at 6:21 AM Post #255 of 5,226
Westing in the House

WzwzTSm.jpg

I don't know who made this tube other than it's Westinghouse branding.
Dark staggered plates (photo is overexposed, looks a lot darker plates IRL)
D / (horseshoe?) getter.
9R04 is a date code?

Anyway this tube sounds magnificent. Was sold to me as NOS but i think it's used, sounds burned in already.

Instrument separation and detailing are incredible, can can really hear the air with this one. beautiful texture to the mids and bass extends really low, treble extends really high.

if you could draw a line between sibilant and not sibilant, this would sit smack dab on the line.

i'll give it the mandatory 48 hours of proper burn in but i think this tube will seat near the very top of the ones i've tried so far.

Thanks to whoever it was that suggested Westinghouse earlier in the thread (might have been another thread).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back