Schiit Lyr 3 Tube rolling thread.....
Jun 9, 2018 at 6:56 AM Post #256 of 5,226
Westing in the House

WzwzTSm.jpg

I don't know who made this tube other than it's Westinghouse branding.
Dark staggered plates (photo is overexposed, looks a lot darker plates IRL)
D / (horseshoe?) getter.
9R04 is a date code?

Anyway this tube sounds magnificent. Was sold to me as NOS but i think it's used, sounds burned in already.

Instrument separation and detailing are incredible, can can really hear the air with this one. beautiful texture to the mids and bass extends really low, treble extends really high.

if you could draw a line between sibilant and not sibilant, this would sit smack dab on the line.

i'll give it the mandatory 48 hours of proper burn in but i think this tube will seat near the very top of the ones i've tried so far.

Thanks to whoever it was that suggested Westinghouse earlier in the thread (might have been another thread).

Looks good, so where did you get it?

Jun 9, 2018 at 8:15 AM Post #257 of 5,226

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #258 of 5,226
Westing in the House

WzwzTSm.jpg

I don't know who made this tube other than it's Westinghouse branding.
Dark staggered plates (photo is overexposed, looks a lot darker plates IRL)
D / (horseshoe?) getter.
9R04 is a date code?

Anyway this tube sounds magnificent. Was sold to me as NOS but i think it's used, sounds burned in already.

Instrument separation and detailing are incredible, can can really hear the air with this one. beautiful texture to the mids and bass extends really low, treble extends really high.

if you could draw a line between sibilant and not sibilant, this would sit smack dab on the line.

i'll give it the mandatory 48 hours of proper burn in but i think this tube will seat near the very top of the ones i've tried so far.

Thanks to whoever it was that suggested Westinghouse earlier in the thread (might have been another thread).
It took a while for mine to settle in, and I almost dismissed this tube, but I'm glad I didn't. It's been in my Lyr3 for weeks now. Great tube. My favorite tube at this point.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #259 of 5,226
Double Post

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #260 of 5,226
I have the same Westinghouse house tube (Staggered Black plates / Top D getter. I have yet give it any more time than the time it took to confirm it was functional. On my list to let simmer and assess. It's got some big shoes to fill if it is going to unseat the 40's staggered plates Ken-Rad in my stable. And the '55 Foton ribbed plate is a rising star making a strong run to the top!! It's going to be fun!!!

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #261 of 5,226

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #262 of 5,226
The downsides of Franken-rolling: got the 7N7 adapter stuck. Not enough of the adapter above the surface of the Lyr's top cover to grip it with my fingers. Finally got it out with some needle-nose vise grips, but not before I'd packed a suitcase for a trip to Screwed-ville. But that brings up the bigger question: anybody know how to get the cover off the Lyr 3? I looked and looked and couldn't determine exactly how it's fastened on there. I'm not about to take a screwdriver to it and start prying (unless, of course, that's how you get the cover off). :thinking:

Grab yourself a 6NS7 socket saver. It'll make it easier to roll different adapters and it'll make most adapters sit flush or above the amps opening. :)

Jun 9, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #263 of 5,226
...anybody know how to get the cover off the Lyr 3? I looked and looked and couldn't determine exactly how it's fastened on there. I'm not about to take a screwdriver to it and start prying (unless, of course, that's how you get the cover off). :thinking:

LOL! So Franken-tubing almost bit you in the butt!!

Oh and the case cover removal? That's by design. It says right on the back -- No user serviceable parts inside. :D

Jun 9, 2018 at 12:22 PM Post #264 of 5,226
Seriously. I think I read that they had to change the case to a slide-lock mechanism in order to accommodate the PCB and components. After a cursory look at mine and a quick Google, it remains a mystery..

Jun 9, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #265 of 5,226

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #266 of 5,226
That should do the trick!! :wink:

*** Just couldn't wait for it to get here, could ya? :D

Jun 9, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #267 of 5,226

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #268 of 5,226
Last edited:
Jun 9, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #269 of 5,226
Might be worth making an offer at about $20 for one tube (can't really tell if they are selling 1 or 2). I paid $10.95 + $6.00 for shipping for 1 D-Getter like this one although mine tested at 2370/2475 (2600/2600 is like new). This one appears to test a bit stronger.

Note: There are some round halo top Getter models. I cannot say if those are worse, but they are not the same. Looks for the top D shaped Getter (like the Halo, but D shape instead or round).

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #270 of 5,226

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back