Schiit Lokius Impressions & Reviews
Dec 24, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #121 of 305
Got the Lokius in a few hours ago and sandwiched it between the Bifrost and Jot, no hum at all.
No difference with EQ off or on and all flat, nice.
Got both balanced and SE in- and outputs connected, no difference in level for me when I switch between them.
Nothing running hot (but the CV181 tube of course) after 2 hours of use as well, the Jot actually runs cooler stacked on the Lokius than on the Bifrost. Sweet!

Played Kid Rock at "Rock Am Ring" (Nurnburg 2008) from YouTube just to test if I could make it sound better.
Source was Mac USB through a Topping D10S -> coaxial to the Bifrost.
Tried with both the Jot and Lyr 3 with a HD820. Sounded great and really liked what I could do with it.
On top of that it looks good and now my stack of Schiit is a tower of Schiit. :wink:

It's a keeper!
Yes it is. I just ordered a second Lokius for another setup so I finally go balance and replace my Loki.

Dec 24, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #123 of 305
Got the Lokius in a few hours ago and sandwiched it between the Bifrost and Jot, no hum at all.
No difference with EQ off or on and all flat, nice.
Got both balanced and SE in- and outputs connected, no difference in level for me when I switch between them.
Nothing running hot (but the CV181 tube of course) after 2 hours of use as well, the Jot actually runs cooler stacked on the Lokius than on the Bifrost. Sweet!

Played Kid Rock at "Rock Am Ring" (Nurnburg 2008) from YouTube just to test if I could make it sound better.
Source was Mac USB through a Topping D10S -> coaxial to the Bifrost.
Tried with both the Jot and Lyr 3 with a HD820. Sounded great and really liked what I could do with it.
On top of that it looks good and now my stack of Schiit is a tower of Schiit. :wink:

It's a keeper!
curious about no change in level (but expecting one) when switching Lokius between process & eq modes, especially when using balanced (XLR) vs SE connections.
Is Lokius out to Jot 2 in using RCA or XLR connection? and what is source DAC and its connection type to Lokius in?

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #126 of 305
I was looking at the audio science review frequency graph and the 20hz and 200hz pots looks perfect for dialing in a Harman bass shelf on many of the popular planar headphones. Like for the Ananda I would raise the 20hz pot by around 15 db and then slightly lower the 120hz pot by around 3db. I'm really tempted to get this unit now.

Jan 4, 2022 at 10:56 PM Post #127 of 305
I was looking at the audio science review frequency graph and the 20hz and 200hz pots looks perfect for dialing in a Harman bass shelf on many of the popular planar headphones. Like for the Ananda I would raise the 20hz pot by around 15 db and then slightly lower the 120hz pot by around 3db. I'm really tempted to get this unit now.
The 20 Hz knob (with a little help from the 100 Hz knob) is nice for adding bass to headphones. The 7 kHz knob is nice for dialing back sibilance. I'm very happy with my Lokius.

Jan 6, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #128 of 305
Hey, there! Have anyone tried to compare Lokius with any transparent parametric EQ like Crave/Acon/Pro-Q 3/etc? Does it make any sense to buy a hardware EQ?

Jan 6, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #129 of 305
Hey, there! Have anyone tried to compare Lokius with any transparent parametric EQ like Crave/Acon/Pro-Q 3/etc? Does it make any sense to buy a hardware EQ?
If they work and they look cool doing so, that works for me. I have not had an EQ in my home in decades. There is one built in to the head unit's software in my car and truck but for the greater part I leave them alone. They don't look very cool.

Jan 6, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #130 of 305
If they work and they look cool doing so, that works for me. I have not had an EQ in my home in decades. There is one built in to the head unit's software in my car and truck but for the greater part I leave them alone. They don't look very cool.

How does it relate to my question? I meant comparison between Lokius and software parametricq EQs

Jan 6, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #133 of 305
I've compared the Lokius and the built-in EQ in J River (there are two different EQ plug-ins in J River; one standard EQ with different bands and one parametric EQ) and they do the same thing. I just like to turn buttons instead of fiddling with the screen.

Jan 8, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #134 of 305
I primarily use Roon for listening to a digital music library and find the parametric equalization is convenient to load/save different settings for my different headphones. Many times, however, I will just sit by the Lokius (usually in the evening with a glass of 🥃) and adjust the equalization to what my ears think. I believe that eq’ing using software may seem more precise (I mean the numbers tell us that, right?)…that one can get wrapped into the numbers.
With the Lokius, I concentrate more on my music.

I find both methods to be equivalent.

Jan 8, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #135 of 305
I primarily use Roon for listening to a digital music library and find the parametric equalization is convenient to load/save different settings for my different headphones. Many times, however, I will just sit by the Lokius (usually in the evening with a glass of 🥃) and adjust the equalization to what my ears think. I believe that eq’ing using software may seem more precise (I mean the numbers tell us that, right?)…that one can get wrapped into the numbers.
With the Lokius, I concentrate more on my music.

I find both methods to be equivalent.
It's why I like the Lokius as well. A couple of manual tweaks and I can listen to music for hours on any of my headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back