Schiit Lokius Impressions & Reviews
Dec 12, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #91 of 305
Thanks for the info!
Great set as well. Those mid-sized Schiit stacks are really nice desktop sets.
I wonder how long the Lokius has been out, I never get the mails from Schiit no matter how much I sign up for them.
I was actually waiting for a bigger Loki and just found out two days ago.
I’m gonna order one from the US, takes ages before they have them here in Europe.
I agree, the mid-size Schiit components offer good performance for reasonable money. The Lokius is pretty new - I think it came out earlier this year. I especially enjoy the 6 kHz knob - I think of it as the sibilance control.

Dec 12, 2021 at 10:47 PM Post #92 of 305
I have a Bifrost 2 and Jot 2 that I believe are both truly balanced.
I read the Lokius isn’t truly balanced.
So I understand that when I connect the Lokius between the Bifrost anbd Jot and enable it so I can use tone control I lose the the truly balanced signal.

But what happens when I put the Lokius into bypass mode? Or turn it’s power off?
Do I keep a truly balanced signal then?
And what’s better, bypass or turn it off?
per Jason on the main thread, Lokius uses both phases of the balanced input (diffferential front-end), performs internal processing (EQ) SE, then converts the SE back to balanced, both output phases active. using Bifrost 2 balanced -> Lokius -> Jot 2 with XLR cabling will keep the signal balanced between devices.

I recommend putting Lokius into bypass mode, with the balanced input selected, and still powered on. In the powered down state, the input stage may present a non-linear load to the source, which can interact with source's finite impedance, and result in distortion.

Dec 12, 2021 at 11:00 PM Post #93 of 305
I agree, the mid-size Schiit components offer good performance for reasonable money. The Lokius is pretty new - I think it came out earlier this year. I especially enjoy the 6 kHz knob - I think of it as the sibilance control.

Yes, it will be a nice unit to experiment with.
I saw some rather commercial reviews I usually don't put much trust in, some nice reviews and comments on various forums and one negative review here:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/schiit-lokius-review-equalizer.27334/
The guy's main complaint seems to be that a 20Hz and 120Hz are unusable, it should have been a 60Hz band instead.
Though I saw 6-band EQ's from the 80s that used the same two bands for bass Schiit does.
So very much all opinions I guess. I'll get me one.

per Jason on the main thread, Lokius uses both phases of the balanced input (diffferential front-end), performs internal processing (EQ) SE, then converts the SE back to balanced, both output phases active. using Bifrost 2 balanced -> Lokius -> Jot 2 with XLR cabling will keep the signal balanced between devices.

I recommend putting Lokius into bypass mode, with the balanced input selected, and still powered on. In the powered down state, the input stage may present a non-linear load to the source, which can interact with source's finite impedance, and result in distortion.

Thanks for the explanation. No worries to put it in the chain then.

Dec 13, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #94 of 305
I have a Bifrost 2 and Jot 2 that I believe are both truly balanced.
I read the Lokius isn’t truly balanced.
So I understand that when I connect the Lokius between the Bifrost anbd Jot and enable it so I can use tone control I lose the the truly balanced signal.

But what happens when I put the Lokius into bypass mode? Or turn it’s power off?
Do I keep a truly balanced signal then?
And what’s better, bypass or turn it off?
I have the Lokius sandwiched between the Bifrost 2 and the Jot 2. No hum present. Although I bought 1 inch feet to raise everything up a little.
It's better to leave it on and in bypass, than to have it off running a signal through it.

Dec 13, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #95 of 305
Same here, I put 4 "Herbies" between my Lokius and JOTR (on top). Running in balanced from Yggdrasil all the way, no noise issues whatsoever.
1639406800577.png

Dec 13, 2021 at 10:06 AM Post #96 of 305
Any best practices for translating a digital EQ setting to the Lokius? For example, the Oratory setting for my HE6SEs call for +1.1dB to 60hz, +5.5 105hz, -2.5 940hz, +0.8db 1450 and so on.

Is there a way to translate it with reasonable accuracy? Or is it more of a "get as close as you can and then play with it until it sounds good" thing?

Dec 13, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #97 of 305
Having no experience with digital EQ I have no idea.

Dec 13, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #98 of 305
Thanks for the info on the no-hum guys, reassuring. I already ordered one from the US, guess I’ll have it somewhere in February.

Also have no idea on translating digital EQ and don’t think it can be achieved with any precision. As I understood the Lokius is an easy to use tune-by-ear thing with (debatable) just enough dials.

Anyway, I’m looking forward to have it in my Schiit stack and turn it in to a Schiit tower now. :)
Really love these desktop sets, been using this stack for almost 2 years now.
The Lyr 3 with the Shuguang Treasure Globe or PSVane CV181 is also a delight to listen to, and look at. :wink:

Dec 13, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #99 of 305
Any best practices for translating a digital EQ setting to the Lokius? For example, the Oratory setting for my HE6SEs call for +1.1dB to 60hz, +5.5 105hz, -2.5 940hz, +0.8db 1450 and so on.

Is there a way to translate it with reasonable accuracy? Or is it more of a "get as close as you can and then play with it until it sounds good" thing?
I think it's the latter - you know the frequency band that each knob adjusts, but the level has to be done by ear. (Unless you have a fancy headphone measurement head laying around :) .)

Dec 13, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #100 of 305
I think it's the latter - you know the frequency band that each knob adjusts, but the level has to be done by ear. (Unless you have a fancy headphone measurement head laying around :) .)
I like to think I *am* a fancy headphone measurement head. It's not true, but hey, don't let your dreams be dreams, right?

Dec 13, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #101 of 305
Same here, I put 4 "Herbies" between my Lokius and JOTR (on top). Running in balanced from Yggdrasil all the way, no noise issues whatsoever.
1639406800577.png
For a recent house project I used hockey pucks as dividers. Cheap.

Dec 13, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #102 of 305
I never seem to have any pucks laying around handy.

Dec 13, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #103 of 305
Dec 13, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #104 of 305
Do they sound better if they’re autographed? Would a Brett Hull be more aggressive sounding than a Pierre Turgeon?

Dec 14, 2021 at 7:00 AM Post #105 of 305
I had a Bernie Parent signed one, not sure where it is, LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back