Schiit Lokius Impressions & Reviews
Oct 10, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #241 of 305
Oct 10, 2022 at 6:55 PM Post #242 of 305
Oct 10, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #243 of 305
Oct 10, 2022 at 7:14 PM Post #244 of 305
Yeah, but that cheap cable will just introduce noise.

Short of using a really long cable with a very thin conductor such that resistiveness becomes a proble, there is really no audible difference between cables.

Anyone who tells you there is is suffering from subjective biases.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2022 at 7:32 PM Post #245 of 305
I didnt realize you meant ACTUAL hockey pucks...I thought they were stick on feet. Sorry for the confusion!
They work. Solid. Cheap. If I put a bunch of audiophilia adjectives in front of them could mark them up.

EDIT:
I have these in a hidden cabinet to help with air flow and stacking.
For my 2 channel Schiit Audio stacks I have IsoAcoustics Orea isolators.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #246 of 305
Short of using a really long cable with a very thin conductor such that resistiveness becomes a proble, there is really no audible difference between cables.

Anyone who tells you there is is suffering from subjective biases.
Yeah but a little noise here, a little there, it all adds up... :smile_cat:

Oct 12, 2022 at 4:44 AM Post #247 of 305
Thanks for the invitation to throw in my 2 cents worth!

I bought the original Loki Mini a couple of months before the Mini+ was released. To my ears, it is completely transparent when set to flat (also tested by switching back-and-forth to to an amp input that skips the Loki entirely. And the 4 bands are good for adjusting the tonal balance in broad strokes: bass, lower-mids, upper-mids and air).

But in time I was craving some finer control than just 4 bands. I think there's a saying, "boost wide, cut narrow", and the Mini can't do the latter. So sometimes it was necessary to dust off my ancient Marantz 10-band EQ (which is the "nuclear option" because it does introduce distortion), either as a band-aid for a bad recording or when I wanted to fatten up the sub-bass without making the mid-bass bloated (maybe it's my room or just inside my head, but I'm often dialling back the region around 125 Hz). Anyway, the Lokius is great for the latter. Having an extra band at both the bottom and top ends is very useful, and I wouldn't go back to a Mini.

On both the Mini and the Lokius, I often liked to turn up the highest band a bit (perhaps compensating for some hearing loss...?), to make the cymbals sweeter and give the sound a more spacious feeling. And I don't think either the Mini or the Lokius has caused distortion for me, even when maxxing out the 20 Hz gyrator (although if the recording is distorted to start with, then cranking the dial can exaggerate that).

Maybe the other people's comments about the 20Hz dial having more effect on the Mini are because it has wider bands, therefore the lowest dial extends further into the mid-bass range. I think the Lokius could get the same result, but you'd need to also turn up the 120 Hz dial a bit.

As an aside, I'd been keeping an eye on Schiit's development of the Lokius and Max for a while, and was disappointed when it was announced that the Max would also only have 6 bands. If it had more bands than the Lodius, I would have been sorely tempted to get the Max instead. But I've since changed my opinion about the number of bands, and now believe that 6 is a good number for general duties ("thump, mid-bass, body, clarity, highs and air"). If you're wanting finer control than that, then a parametric EQ is probably the answer. So I'm still actually tempted now to shell out for a Loki Max... admittedly mostly because seeing the faders (ok, dials) snap into place for each preset is a really cool party trick :ksc75smile:

Thanks for reading my vague ramblings.
Very informative, Thanks 👍🙂

Dec 3, 2022 at 7:33 PM Post #248 of 305
People who have spent money on these Schiit EQs have taken aim at me before. I think technically they work fine. I love Schiit. My amp and DAC are from them.

Take a headphone output chart - say from crinicle of your favorite can. Now figure out how to use each slider you have to effect a change to say - neutral. I doubt there is one can in 100 that will utilize each slider in a way as accurately as a parametric with same # of bands.

Digital Parametric tend to be cheap and some of them are very good. Analog parametric can get expensive. But if you want the best results use the right tool.

Basically using a Schiit EQ to get a can flat is like using the long side of a baseball bat to smooth wallpaper vs using a smoother.

Dec 3, 2022 at 7:45 PM Post #249 of 305
If I use an analog source, like vinyl, or CD playback?

Actually what bugs me lately about my Lokius is not how it sounds, but that I can't use a certain interconnect with it-- a recent Tara Labs RSC Prime-- with torque-lock termination. My older Tara Labs with rubber sheath works, but not the metal torque-lock. Had the cable tested-- it works fine elsewhere. The fellow at the shop speculated that it might be because of the way the RCA output is mounted onto the EQ board. I don't know. But not all of my otherwise working RCA interconnects are working with the Lokius.

Dec 4, 2022 at 12:59 AM Post #250 of 305
People who have spent money on these Schiit EQs have taken aim at me before. I think technically they work fine. I love Schiit. My amp and DAC are from them.

Take a headphone output chart - say from crinicle of your favorite can. Now figure out how to use each slider you have to effect a change to say - neutral. I doubt there is one can in 100 that will utilize each slider in a way as accurately as a parametric with same # of bands.

Digital Parametric tend to be cheap and some of them are very good. Analog parametric can get expensive. But if you want the best results use the right tool.

Basically using a Schiit EQ to get a can flat is like using the long side of a baseball bat to smooth wallpaper vs using a smoother.

I think there is a flaw in your assumption, that these EQ's are being used to try to flatten various headphones.

I don't think it has narrow enough bands to be effective at that, and I still bought it.

I like the frequency response of my HD650's, but I do love to boost up the bass in some recordings, and take off a little of the high frequency edge on some recordings. It does that job with excellence.

But yeah, this is not the right solution to try to compensate for flaky response curves in some headphones.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2022 at 10:57 PM Post #251 of 305

You're right! You just can't take a graph and "fix it" with the Lokius. It's too broad for such fine sculpting.

Which is the point. Embrace the madness!!

All I really listen to is the HD800S and LCD-4 through the Lokius, and the thing absolutely fixes all their flaws. How? You twist the knobs until you get the sound you like (!!).

Did you know you can cool down the 6kHz peak of the HD800S without touching the 6kHz knob at all??

There were some great graphs on "the other site" we can't link to which show you the EQ ranges and how wide the bands are. There's an insane amount of interactivity between the bands, so cranking the 2Khz knob may necessitate a cut on the 400Hz knob, but once you embrace the interplay between the bands, this thing can fix anything.

Once you free yourself of parametric EQs with Q values of 4, you will have much more fun.

Dec 4, 2022 at 11:34 PM Post #252 of 305
You're right! You just can't take a graph and "fix it" with the Lokius. It's too broad for such fine sculpting.

Which is the point. Embrace the madness!!

All I really listen to is the HD800S and LCD-4 through the Lokius, and the thing absolutely fixes all their flaws. How? You twist the knobs until you get the sound you like (!!).
I know and very much like both of those. A Lokius per your comment gives you the sound you like. Good. While I pick at crinicle settings and people that cleave to them with ferocity - I do try to maximize both enjoyment and accuracy with mods and EQ. Parametric is a better tool for that.
Did you know you can cool down the 6kHz peak of the HD800S without touching the 6kHz knob at all??
Surely. I know the mod well and it works. But what about the declining bass - and the fact that Senn made the damping less accurate than the 800 OG to get a few more Hertz. Your Lokius no doubt satisfied that problem for you.

There were some great graphs on "the other site" we can't link to which show you the EQ ranges and how wide the bands are. There's an insane amount of interactivity between the bands, so cranking the 2Khz knob may necessitate a cut on the 400Hz knob, but once you embrace the interplay between the bands, this thing can fix anything.
I'll take your word for it because it wouldn't work for me on my HE 6 SE, HE 500, and HEX v2. My Senn 600 gets more from my OTL amp than my EQ however but it still helps.
Once you free yourself of parametric EQs with Q values of 4, you will have much more fun.
I need to have a satisfying to me rendition of reality before I can enjoy the music fully. Fun as in fun cans and fun tuning is anathema to me.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #253 of 305
If anyone is interested, here are my HD800S settings that I created by taking a look at Crin's measurements, plus the "other" Lokius measurements I can't refer to. I got a spreadsheet together and got settings that bring the frequency response within a dB or two of the Harman AE OE 2018 target curve:

20Hz: 3:00
120Hz: 12:00
400Hz: 10:30
2kHz: 3:00
6kHz: 12:00
16kHz: 9:00

Looking at my chart, the 6kHz spike is exactly as it was before, but the rest of the FR is filled out enough where to my ears it doesn't really stand out.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2022 at 7:53 PM Post #254 of 305
If anyone is interested, here are my HD800S settings that I created by taking a look at Crin's measurements, plus the "other" Lokius measurements I can't refer to. I got a spreadsheet together and got settings that bring the frequency response within a dB or two of the Harman AE OE 2018 target curve:

20Hz: 3:00
120Hz: 12:00
400Hz: 10:30
2kHz: 3:00
6kHz: 12:00
16kHz: 9:00

Looking at my chart, the 6kHz spike is exactly as it was before, but the rest of the FR is filled out enough where to my ears it doesn't really stand out.
Nice. 800S needs less corrections. But the LCD-4 needs more doesn't it? How does the Lokius do with that?

Here is my 6 band in parametric. Can the Lokius mimic that?

Also 20 to 120.is a long way. Say you have one of the cheaper HFM which start losing bass at 80 Hz and is down 3 db at 50, 5 db at 35, and 10 db at 20 but the bass resonance is at 32 Hz. Pumping 20 Hz way up to say +6 db at 20 is just going to make the driver flap more and probably create more IM. But how fast does the EQ drop per octave? 6 db? So if you set +6 at 20 it's 0 db at 10 Hz and 40 Hz? But the cans are down 3 db at 50 and 120 is way on yonder too far to do anything but pump up your mid-bass. So +8 at 20? Curve meets my criteria pretty well. But your driver is really flapping down low and those little but annoying +1.8 db bumps at 90 Hz and 260 Hz are not going to be dealt with

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221202-193147~2.png
    Screenshot_20221202-193147~2.png
    292 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 5, 2022 at 8:55 PM Post #255 of 305
My opinion: for $230 on Black Friday deal is low/no risk so why not get one and mess with it? My Lokius arrived today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back