Schiit Lokius Impressions & Reviews
Sep 16, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #226 of 305
I just love the Lokius - it has fixed the LCD-4 as far as I am concerned. A controversial thought in the LCD-4 thread, perhaps not here!

I'd be more than happy to use it as a balanced converter on it's own - my turntable preamp is now as loud as my digital sources, and my Valhalla is fed a nice and hot signal no matter what.

What's so wacky about the Lokius is how freaking wide the bands are of each EQ. I've seen a bunch of measurements, but I think each knob impacts (in some small or large way) a full octave in either direction. So, for example, 400Hz will touch 40Hz-4000Hz, with the frequencies in the centre getting boosted at a higher rate relative to the rest of the frequencies as you increase the knob past 3:00. Anything less than 9:00/3:00 is a wholesale cut/boost (respectively) of 2 octaves which, after you wrap your head around it, is the exact kind of EQ that will work well for every headphone. No need to worry about unit-to-unit FR deviation or anything like that, or carving out narrow spikes in the signal - just embrace the headphone's timbre and get the entire signal to a spot you like it.

The trick for me was embracing the huge amount of overlap between the frequency bands - the 20Hz bass control is basically a "Harman knob" that does the trick and doesn't require a boost with the 120Hz knob, which can get honky if you're boosting the 400Hz or even 2kHz bands.
You get no arguments out of me wanting to EQ the LCD-4’s. They sound so much better with the Lokius’ influence.

Sep 16, 2022 at 11:55 AM Post #227 of 305
You get no arguments out of me wanting to EQ the LCD-4’s. They sound so much better with the Lokius’ influence.
What are your settings?

Sep 16, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #228 of 305
Oct 2, 2022 at 10:21 PM Post #229 of 305
I'm liking my Lokius.

My configuration is Bifrost 2 (not 2/64 yet, that Schiit is not going to ship until Christmas!) --balanced--> Lokius --balanced--> Jotunheim (OG) --Balanced--> Sennheiser HD650 (well, Massdrop HD6xx version)

I originally bought it because I use the single ended pre-amp outs on my Jotunheim as a pre-amp for my power amp for my bookshelf speakers and my subwoofer, and I listen to mainly mid to late 70's through mid 90's music, which has a wide variety of mixing. Sometimes you barely hear the bass, other times it is so boomy it is just too much, and there is no way I was going to duck being my desk and adjust the sub on a song by song basis.

I have - however - found that I quite enjoy adjusting the EQ for my headphones as well. As much as I like my HD650's, I have always been a little sensitive when it comes to high frequencies, and I also enjoy a good bass thump. I'm told the HD650's are dark, but apparently not dark enough for my ears:

1664763543422.png

This has quickly become my favorite settings for my HD650's. So yeah, they may be "dark" to some, but nowhere near dark enough for me :p Luckily the HD650's with a full balanced chain, seem to tolerate a fair amount of EQ without distortion, at least at my listening levels.

Noise-wise it sounds completely transparent to my ears.

In bypass mode it sounds identical to running without the EQ, which is good. With the switch flipped to EQ settings, and all the knobs in the middle - though - there is a distinct difference from bypass, (less, bass, generally less of everything) so I am glad the bypass mode is there.

I love this little unit. It's making me have fun with my music listening again. I'm now a convert from the "always flat, the way the artist intended" mindset, especially since so many recordings are ruined by a poor mix.

I only have two dislikes when it comes to this unit.

1.) Power switch is on the back (same as with all Schiit products) which makes it very difficult to reach in my setup.

2.) Unfortunately the Lokius does not bypass the EQ in bypass mode if the power is turned off, which means I have to keep turning it on and off again all the time by contorting my arms around the large monitor my Schiit devices are under. I'm considering getting one of those "smart" power strips that trigger from a master power outlet simply so I don't keep forgetting to turn devices off (and waste power) and so I don't have to reach around the monitor as often.

Oct 3, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #230 of 305
1.) Power switch is on the back (same as with all Schiit products) which makes it very difficult to reach in my setup.

2.) Unfortunately the Lokius does not bypass the EQ in bypass mode if the power is turned off, which means I have to keep turning it on and off again all the time by contorting my arms around the large monitor my Schiit devices are under. I'm considering getting one of those "smart" power strips that trigger from a master power outlet simply so I don't keep forgetting to turn devices off (and waste power) and so I don't have to reach around the monitor as often.
Yup, lol. The unit does SE-to-balanced and balanced-to-SE conversion (which IMO they don't advertise enough), so you can't quite run it passive.

Last week, I was level matching between my digital setup and my turntable set up using Miles Davis' Kind of Blue synced as best I could, and all I needed to do was switch sources on the Lokius. Very cool!

Oct 3, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #231 of 305

I leave mine on 24/7. It stays slightly warm to the touch.

Oct 3, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #232 of 305
Oct 3, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #233 of 305
I usually leave mine on for the day, only turning it off when I know I'm done listening for the day (or when I know I'm going to be gone all day).

I, too never thought of the HD650 as particularly dark (or any Sennheiser). Rather bright at the top, but 'softer.'

Oct 3, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #234 of 305
Yup, lol. The unit does SE-to-balanced and balanced-to-SE conversion (which IMO they don't advertise enough), so you can't quite run it passive.

Last week, I was level matching between my digital setup and my turntable set up using Miles Davis' Kind of Blue synced as best I could, and all I needed to do was switch sources on the Lokius. Very cool!

I wonder if it is done properly, or if it just translates one phase of the balanced input to the single ended output.

That certainly works, but it usually doesn't sound quite as good (and measures pretty crappy)

At this price point I'm guessing that is what had to be done.

I convert balanced to single ended in my Jotunheim for passing on to my power amp for my speakers. I know for a fact that the Jotunheim does the cheaper "one side" conversion, but it still sounds pretty good to me. I bet some would complain though.

I bet that's why they don't advertise it too much.

Oct 10, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #235 of 305
Hi I recently got the Lokius (I also have the Loki +) and It's connected by SE to my Denafrips DAC and to the SMSL SA300 to my speakers, today I started to listen a crack sounds like the one you heard in headphones when a 3.5 connector is broken, first I thought was part of the video that I was watching but not, I turn the Lokius off and I didn't hear anything until I turn in on an hour later.
Anyone have a similar problem? I move the Lokius a bit away from the DAC since they were one on top of the other before.

Also to confirm the first switch is for Balanced connection and Single ended right? It's normal that it works on my Speakers (SE) when is on Balanced? because is working in both.

HA! Just got my Lokius today, love it!
20221010_104653.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #236 of 305
My whole chain is different now, my new amp has tone control so I don't use the Lokius anymore.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #237 of 305
For a recent house project I used hockey pucks as dividers. Cheap.
Hi, where di you get those 'hockey pucks'? Thanks.

Oct 10, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #238 of 305
This just plugs into the wall wart so that it doesn't have to cover multiple outlets on your power bar. The happy side effect for me was that extra bit of distance also removed hum and I don't need to spring for an LPS.
Yeah, but that cheap cable will just introduce noise.

Oct 10, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #239 of 305
Oct 10, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #240 of 305

Users who are viewing this thread

Back