Schiit Loki Max Impressions
Jun 1, 2022 at 7:01 PM Post #136 of 262
I can’t hear any of that when listening, usually…I rely on my dots on the knobs (photo up above) to see how I am augmenting the recording. Clearly seeing the knob orientation connected me to the experience far better…and of course listening.
That makes me want to highlight the notches with a black that matches the chassis...

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #137 of 262
First there is a difference in volume levels between bypass and not bypassed but flat. Makes no sense to me but bypass is lower in volume using my Freya + in passive mode but also when using the tube stage. Also true when using single ended input fed by a Mani. I have also noticed there is quite a lot of deep bass missing when using bypass. Makes no sense. I just avoid using bypass.

bypass mode.

I am VERY sad to report something similar. I really wanted to like the Loki Max. I purchased the Loki at the same time I bought a Pass INT 250. When I installed the Max, I did not initially detect any difference in sound. I happened to remove the Loki, and I detected a change in sound. There was a drop in bass and a slight congestion. I did not want to believe this and thought maybe my ears where tired. Tried the next day and same result 😞. I must have removed and reinstalled the Loki some 20 times. I wanted to be sure what I was hearing. I did not want to take the restocking fee hit. I liked what the Loki Max did with the subtle adjustment. It looked good in my rack and built very well. I was running the Loki balanced and used the same xlr I use throughout my system. Oh well, back to schitt it went. I am still enjoying my Yggy after all these years!

Jun 5, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #138 of 262
That makes me want to highlight the notches with a black that matches the chassis...
I wanted something that "I" could see from across the room. I understand that my solution (which is easily removeable with no damage to the knobs) would not be for everyone. I like to have fun & functional 😁!

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2022 at 11:24 PM Post #140 of 262
Jun 7, 2022 at 11:29 PM Post #142 of 262
Now if only we can get his attention since the main Schiit thread moves so damned fast, haha
I'm too old (32) to keep up, anyways. :L3000:

Jul 1, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #145 of 262
I happened to remove the Loki, and I detected a change in sound. There was a drop in bass and a slight congestion. I did not want to believe this
So, meaning with it installed you had more bass and slightly less congestion? And that you did NOT like?

Jul 1, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #146 of 262
So, meaning with it installed you had more bass and slightly less congestion? And that you did NOT like?
No, I seemed to have less bass and MORE congestion. However, I liked what the Loki could do. I purchased another LOKI max and this time I did not hear any change. Was it my ears or did I have a bad Loki? I don’t know, but I am happy with the new one.

Jul 4, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #147 of 262
No, I seemed to have less bass and MORE congestion. However, I liked what the Loki could do. I purchased another LOKI max and this time I did not hear any change. Was it my ears or did I have a bad Loki? I don’t know, but I am happy with the new one.
Funny. You mean the changes with the first have been on "pass through" or enabled but all knobs in the middle/on zero?

Jul 6, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #149 of 262
Hi there, I am glad that I stumbled upon this thread. I currently own the Freya + and two of the new TYR Monoblocks. All of my cabling is Balanced and recently purchased from the Schiit recommended vendor Snake Oil Audio. I went through one Freya + and it was defective right out of the box. The replacement is currently what I now have and appears to be working correctly. I have also gone through two Loki Max units with both of them behaving the same way (defective in my opinion), and now I no longer have one in my system or own one. Both my Loki Max units basically did nothing. I would actually flip between Bypass and Active and the volume of my music would get a little quieter in the Active mode while all Loki Max Faders were set at 0/ midnight. I tried multiple times to have one of the Schiit SoundBench Techs to give me a call so we could talk about what I was experiencing but that was a no-go. I am an ex electronic tech and electrician from the U.S. Navy and also a seasoned recording and performing drummer with a fully balanced home Mackie PA System with a 16-Channel Mixer. I understand how it all works. Schiit's final response to me after getting back my second Loki Max was that I must have been running Balanced into the Freya + and then out of the RCA SE Outputs of the Freya + to my two TYR Monoblocks. They further stated by doing that then I was basically halving my output signal and the reason why I was not hearing any influence from the Loki Max. I responded back no, that is not what I was doing at all. That I was running fully balanced in my entire signal path from the Source to the Speakers. They had no comment after that. I tried both of those Loki Max units situated before the Freya + in the signal chain and after it. Same thing. I even just fully cranked up each of the 6 Faders just to see what would happen. When I did that I got more of an equal balance of volume between Bypass and Active. I did hear a very minute bit of the EQ but nothing as advertised. I love the Schiit products in general but I think there is some design flaw/ characteristic in the Loki Max. It is a shame because I really wanted it to work for me. Anybody else experience anything similar with their Loki Max? Skins

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2022 at 9:03 PM Post #150 of 262
Hi there, I am glad that I stumbled upon this thread. I currently own the Freya + and two of the new TYR Monoblocks. All of my cabling is Balanced and recently purchased from the Schiit recommended vendor Snake Oil Audio. I went through one Freya + and it was defective right out of the box. The replacement is currently what I now have and appears to be working correctly. I have also gone through two Loki Max units with both of them behaving the same way (defective in my opinion), and now I no longer have one in my system or own one. Both my Loki Max units basically did nothing. I would actually flip between Bypass and Active and the volume of my music would get a little quieter in the Active mode while all Loki Max Faders were set at 0/ midnight. I tried multiple times to have one of the Schiit SoundBench Techs to give me a call so we could talk about what I was experiencing but that was a no-go. I am an ex electronic tech and electrician from the U.S. Navy and also a seasoned recording and performing drummer with a fully balanced home Mackie PA System with a 16-Channel Mixer. I understand how it all works. Schiit's final response to me after getting back my second Loki Max was that I must have been running Balanced into the Freya + and then out of the RCA SE Outputs of the Freya + to my two TYR Monoblocks. They further stated by doing that then I was basically halving my output signal and the reason why I was not hearing any influence from the Loki Max. I responded back no, that is not what I was doing at all. That I was running fully balanced in my entire signal path from the Source to the Speakers. They had no comment after that. I tried both of those Loki Max units situated before the Freya + in the signal chain and after it. Same thing. I even just fully cranked up each of the 6 Faders just to see what would happen. When I did that I got more of an equal balance of volume between Bypass and Active. I did hear a very minute bit of the EQ but nothing as advertised. I love the Schiit products in general but I think there is some design flaw/ characteristic in the Loki Max. It is a shame because I really wanted it to work for me. Anybody else experience anything similar with their Loki Max? Skins
Hey Skins…I am NOT an electrical engineer…..so…I read about the TYR Amps when they released and that it was a special old-school design "choke input" amps. I do not understand any of the tech design of those amps, but they seem to be designed in a very specific unusual way that the Schiit partners seem very proud of. Perhaps that specific amp design has something to do with your dilema…but your feedback of Schiit customer service sounds horrible! With all of their high-end gear that you have, you would think that they would be more helpful??? Disappointing to say the least.
All I can tell you is my set-up: Pi2Design Mercury Streamer=>I2S Cable=>Denafrips Pontus II DAC=>Balanced Cable=>Loki Max=>Balanced Cable=>Freya+=>Balanced Cable=>McIntosh MC152 Power Amp=>
#10 Copper Lamp Cord 😀=> DynAudio Contour 20 Speakers + 2 REL T/5x Subs connected to the power amp's speaker terminals with REL's proprietary high-output cables.
It sounds incredible (to me)…in both Tube and Solid State Modes…and The Loki Max is transparent and just a perfect compliment to tweak my system. The equalizer is silent in the chain and does not alter my sound in any way “to me" unless called on and the 6 frequencies adjust at just the right amplitude to make them oh-so-useful. Not too much, not too little. I only need to use the Loki about 25% of the time..as the system is dialed in to my sound preferences, after much gear changing.
Sorry that you have had so much struggle, but believe you me…I had mine arriving at this destination!
If Schiit is not listening to you (and your exact set-up), THEN they will never have a proper explanation for you. Can't you get higher up on the food chain at Schiit to find out what is causing the malfunction?
Aside from that…HOW DO THOSE AMPS SOUND????? 😀

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back