Schiit Loki Max Impressions
May 4, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #121 of 265
Is there an european owner around here? Did you order from the US? How much for the unit and shipping+customs?
Thanks, chris.

May 24, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #122 of 265
Finally got mine after a 3 month wait. I ordered it because I was afraid they would stop making the Loki Max and I mostly wanted it for the cool factor, the Loki Mini+ in my system seemed functionally fine for me. Always loved me a '70s receiver or integrated with a bunch of eq toggles and knobs on the front panel.

Boy what a surprise when I hooked it up!

@Ableza started off this thread talking about (among other things) a very significant improvement in soundstage, which I didn't expect to experience. What could explain it? But, I noticed the same immediately when listening through my Maggie LRSs, which are challenged by having to live too close to the wall in my living room. After adding the Max the "wall of sound" has filled in between the speakers, with clear imaging and balance even off center. It's hard to believe, and not subtle.

And, my usual bass boost/treble cut has been replaced with a more varied adjustment that's in some ways opposite of what I always thought sounded best. I guess it's taming some of those rear reflections.

Other notes:
  • The remote operation and clicky-ness definitely takes some getting used to, but works, and presets are great (just look at those knobs turning...).
  • Sitting on top of my power amp causes no hum, maybe due to the design of the amp (digital).
  • Didn't realize it had input switching at first, so was worried for a few minutes that it was broken, then figured it out :)
  • Qobuz sounds better, more alive (using Bluesound Node 2i and Modi Multibit) than I've ever heard it.
  • Same for internet radio stations.
  • Not just me, my wife also noticed the difference.
I prefer not to drive myself crazy trying to figure out why it makes such a big difference, since the folks that design these things sometimes are left scratching their heads (and I very much enjoy reading about it). Since nothing else changed in my system, it must be magic.

At any rate, well worth it for me.

May 24, 2022 at 6:42 PM Post #124 of 265
Finally got mine after a 3 month wait. I ordered it because I was afraid they would stop making the Loki Max and I mostly wanted it for the cool factor, the Loki Mini+ in my system seemed functionally fine for me. Always loved me a '70s receiver or integrated with a bunch of eq toggles and knobs on the front panel.

@Ableza started off this thread talking about (among other things) a very significant improvement in soundstage, which I didn't expect to experience. What could explain it? But, I noticed the same immediately when listening through my Maggie LRSs, which are challenged by having to live too close to the wall in my living room. After adding the Max the "wall of sound" has filled in between the speakers, with clear imaging and balance even off center. It's hard to believe, and not subtle.

And, my usual bass boost/treble cut has been replaced with a more varied adjustment that's in some ways opposite of what I always thought sounded best. I guess it's taming some of those rear reflections.

Other notes:
  • The remote operation and clicky-ness definitely takes some getting used to, but works, and presets are great (just look at those knobs turning...).
  • Sitting on top of my power amp causes no hum, maybe due to the design of the amp (digital).
  • Didn't realize it had input switching at first, so was worried for a few minutes that it was broken, then figured it out :)
  • Qobuz sounds better, more alive (using Bluesound Node 2i and Modi Multibit) than I've ever heard it.
I prefer not to drive myself crazy trying to figure out why it makes such a big difference, since the folks that design these things sometimes are left scratching their heads (and I very much enjoy reading about it). Since nothing else changed in my system, it must be magic.

It's a great piece of gear! Been using mine for almost 5 months now with no regrets

May 24, 2022 at 6:58 PM Post #125 of 265

Other notes:

Glad to hear you're enjoying your Loki Max. Wish it was a tad less pricey and all, but an equalizer with a remote, almost priceless! For the time being, I'm using a digital, 10 band equalizer when called for. Mostly with older material and the old standby, Loudness, when listening a low volumes to enrich the sound. All in all, it sounds good to my ears.

Enjoy!!!

May 31, 2022 at 7:30 PM Post #126 of 265
OK...I know that this will be polarizing..but after waiting 4 months to get my Loki Max....(I absolutely LOVE it), it seemed to break out in a odd case of Skittle Pox...at first I wanted to find a vaccine...but then I realized that I could see the knobs' orientations SO WELL from across the room that I did not bother with the vaccination.
...it even spread a little to the knob on my Freya+. :L3000:
For what they cost I think that these are excellent components and perform VERY well together!

Attachments

• Loki Pox 1.jpg
    Loki Pox 1.jpg
    854.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 31, 2022 at 10:49 PM Post #127 of 265
OK...I know that this will be polarizing..but after wait 4 months to get my Loki Max....(I absolutely LOVE it), it seemed to break out in a odd case of Skittle Pox...at first I wanted to find a vaccine...but I could see the knobs orientation SO WELL from across the room that I did not bother...it even spread a little to the knob on my Freya+. :L3000:
For what they cost I think that these are excellent components and perform VERY well together!
I sure hope you coordinated the color for each frequency with Rob Watts of Chord Electronics!!! :laughing:

Jun 1, 2022 at 12:26 AM Post #129 of 265
:L3000:
I sure hope you coordinated the color for each frequency with Rob Watts of Chord Electronics!!! :laughing:
Look…I KNEW that I would be laughed at…but my apt. Iooks like Timothy Leary decorated it…
….so this fits in nicely…😎
Now that you mention it …there are Chord nuances occurring here…😵

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2022 at 12:29 AM Post #130 of 265
That's cool. Where did you get the skittle pox?
Well…I have about 5,800 beads left over…😂 if you didn't live in Hawaii I would just send you a case full!! 🤓
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MLPX3NB?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Oh…and I used 3M 4910 tape on the backs of the buttons…you will need an X-acto Knife. Put the tape on the back of the bead..cut around it with the knife…peel off the backing and push it onto the knob….yes…it's tedious…but it will not harm the knobs…dots can be peeled off and with a little alcohol, goof-off or paint thinner on a rag, you can clean off the surface and the knobs will be totally unharmed. The adhesive is safe and forgiving.
https://www.amazon.com/3M-4910-CLR055-Scotch-Tape/dp/B00I4E4HPI/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2Z9JV5JL377TI&keywords=3M+clear+Gel+tape&qid=1654058453&sprefix=3m+clear+gel+tape,aps,70&sr=8-3

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #132 of 265
So got my max in, still getting used to it a bit, but a question for fellow owners: are you ever quite certain of where the center is? They all vary slightly from center from factory.

So my idea was to set the pots all the way to the end then press 15 times to see if that got them centered, and now I'm confused more, that several of the pots don't click every time I press the button. Some pots do, some do not. Same for everyone else?

Thanks!

Jun 1, 2022 at 5:37 PM Post #133 of 265
I just zeroed each frequenciy knob at 12 o'clock using the individual buttons on the remote and made that my #1 preset. I.e. zeroed. This is always my starting point for any listening session.
#2 pulls the highs back a little
#3 lowers the bass a little

I only turn the knobs using the remote.
My clicks are like this. If I use the individual frequency buttons (+ or -) on the remote each channel clicks consistently while moving. Always. Continuous press or single press, each knob clicks as expected.
If I press any of the 3 preset buttons, the knobs move silently, but there is one clicking noise when the knobs reach their preset destinations. It all seems to make sense to me. My unit works consistently and flawlessly.
I really LOVE this thing. All recording qualities are different/vary on my system…as is to be expected…it’s nice to be able to reign them in a little if needed with this very precise piece of kit. 😁

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2022 at 6:48 PM Post #135 of 265
Mine click, just sometimes some of them don't click on each single press...
I can’t hear any of that when listening, usually…I rely on my dots on the knobs (photo up above) to see how I am augmenting the recording. Clearly seeing the knob orientation connected me to the experience far better…and of course listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back