Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Oct 25, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #5,971 of 6,473
I may have missed it, but how are you connecting the source (tablet) to the Jot? What cable and connectors and what input jacks on the Jot?

This is the key ask - Can you type out the exact chain including every component, example:

Fire tablet -> USB OTG cable -> Generic USB cable -> Jot Dac Card
or
whatever DAC -> generic RCA cables -> Jot RCA in

Oct 25, 2018 at 11:37 PM Post #5,972 of 6,473
I may have missed it, but how are you connecting the source (tablet) to the Jot? What cable and connectors and what input jacks on the Jot?

The source is strictly 3.5 to RCA, I will have to get my wife to hook some RCA cables up for me to test the other, but I have a feeling it is going to be fine that route. Maybe it’s me, but I just thought a “headphone amp” at this price should provide more than a few decibel amplification to me, I’m not going to draw conclusions thought until I test the RCA from my Denon Receiver to my SE input. I don’t understand the circuitry fully ( for the different inputs and if one maybe faulty ) but is it possible to test from my headphone out of the Denon, to my RCA input on the back of the Jot?

BTW @GrussGott - Strictly tablet, phone , and / or MP3 player line out to RCA in via 3.5 to RCA. This would be the ideal scenario that my wife would use at her bedside.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2018 at 11:54 PM Post #5,973 of 6,473
The source is strictly 3.5 to RCA, I will have to get my wife to hook some RCA cables up for me to test the other, but I have a feeling it is going to be fine that route. Maybe it’s me, but I just thought a “headphone amp” at this price should provide more than a few decibel amplification to me, I’m not going to draw conclusions thought until I test the RCA from my Denon Receiver to my SE input. I don’t understand the circuitry fully ( for the different inputs and if one maybe faulty ) but is it possible to test from my headphone out of the Denon, to my RCA input on the back of the Jot?

BTW @GrussGott - Strictly tablet, phone , and / or MP3 player line out to RCA in via 3.5 to RCA. This would be the ideal scenario that my wife would use at her bedside.

The reason that they want you to use the RCA out of the Denon to the RCA In of the Jot is to see if the Jot is indeed the issue. The Denon's RCA Out should provided line level voltage which your other sources might not be outputting.

Oct 26, 2018 at 1:53 AM Post #5,974 of 6,473
Why are you running the Jot on low gain? Or did I miss something?

Oct 26, 2018 at 2:33 AM Post #5,975 of 6,473
Does it sound to you guys like a possible error with my Jot?
I would say yes, based on what you've told us.

Connect the line out from your Denon receiver to the SE input of the Jot (RCA to RCA cables). If you still get low output, it would pretty much confirm that there is a problem with your Jot (assuming that the Denon's line out is working correctly).

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018 at 6:21 AM Post #5,976 of 6,473
If 1) you're running a 3.5mm to 2-male RCA adapter cable from a cell phone to the SE input in the Jot and
2) both switches on the front of the Jot (input and gain) are both in the down position and
3) your source (phone) is set to max volume

a properly running Jotunheim will be painfull at half volume and bleed your ears at full volume

Oct 26, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #5,977 of 6,473
If 1) you're running a 3.5mm to 2-male RCA adapter cable from a cell phone to the SE input in the Jot and
2) both switches on the front of the Jot (input and gain) are both in the down position and
3) your source (phone) is set to max volume

a properly running Jotunheim will be painfull at half volume and bleed your ears at full volume
Great Response! This, and if you still don't get volume seems like either the line out cable or the jot. The Denon RCA-RCA check should give you the answer.

In short, there's no way a Jot is just a few decibels - I just ran @thevoiceover 's config with ZMF Eikons (300 ohms) and it was deafing at 9 o'clock on high gain and 11 o'clock on low gain

Full volume on a jot should turn the room into a tesla coil ... I'm pretty sure this is @Jason Stoddard testing a jot ... I might be wrong, it's happened before:

225972_5_.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #5,978 of 6,473
Hi guys. Question about my Jotunheim.

I picked it up used and the unit has the optional MM phono board. Everything about the unit works fine except for the phono input. It works but polarity is reversed (sucked out center and wooly bass). I need to flip the polarity on one of my speakers in order to use the phono section. I've used both single ended and balanced out to my Classe SSP-600 pre-amp with the same results. My turntable/tone arm are fine because I have access to another phono preamp. What is odd though is that if I use headphones the polarity is fine.

I have not contacted Schiit. I'm not sure if they will help because I am not the original owner. I will contact them on Monday. Just curious if anyone else has had this issue?

Thanks,

Ken

Dec 13, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #5,979 of 6,473
Just installed the Multibit dac into my Jot, just wanted to share some tips for people who are clumsy like me and knocked the hell out of the led.

I forgot who posted the how to install pdf in here but thank you very much it helped a lot!

For the led, if you have knocked it out of place taking the cover off/on, when you get the cover clips seated back into the case and you’re back at around 1/4 inch of slack, you can flip the unit and fit a small screw driver into the gap and align the led back into the hole before you slide the case back into place. Also it’s winter for a lot of ppl so keep the unit atleast in room temperature before you do this so the sodder or legs don’t snap. But Schiit is using some high quality stuff because I really mangled mine.

Also a word of caution, my hardware didn’t seem to fit properly, the screw hole for my USB back plate is too high up so it wasn’t letting the module sit flush (after attaching the silver screw the module would look completely bent ~20 degrees), I ended up backing the silver pole out a bit and also just ignoring the backplate screw hole all together and now the black screw just sits above the plate holding it in with pressure.

First impressions, my Jot sounds warmer, more relaxed and less sterile, it’s also physically warmer lol, and sounds better already than my Fulla 2 dac it’s replacing. I also have a Hiby R6 but haven’t done much comparison yet.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #5,980 of 6,473
Agreed I too bought the Jot amp only. The add-on cards for me were not necessary as I already had a Bimby. Even now with the multibit card unless I absolutely had to have an all in one the Mimby or Bimby are better DACs and more flexible.

When it was only the Jot I was not concerned, but now with the Lyr 3 going in the Amp/DAC direction and Jason talking about an AB class Asgard 3 Amp/DAC and potentially doing away with the Valhalla 2. I begin to wonder if Schiit is moving away from their each component in its own box philosophy.

I would hate to see that as I love stackable Schiit...

That's a lot of Schiit going on in that photo.

Dec 24, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #5,983 of 6,473
Paging @commtrd

He may have:) Gumby though.

:blush:

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2018 at 12:17 AM Post #5,984 of 6,473
No my Schiit stack was the original Mjolnir/Gungnir, way before multi-bit. I am personally most intrigued with Yggdrasil. I did try a Ragnarok but didnt care for it too much and sent it back. I too am extremely curious to read reviews comparing Hugo 2 with Yggy, Gumby, and Aries Cerat dacs.

I have been ecstatic about Hugo 2. Still zero complaints whatsoever. Just researching for consensus views on DACs and amps so I can make an educated decision when the time comes.

Dec 25, 2018 at 6:06 AM Post #5,985 of 6,473
What brave soul will try a Hugo v1 or Hugo 2 paired with the venerable Jotunheim as an Amp in the name of SCIENCE ???

Merry Christmas!! to all that indulge. If you do not partake in the festivities .. Happy Tuesday !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back