Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Apr 1, 2018 at 3:26 AM Post #5,311 of 6,472
Hey guys, sorry to hi-jack the thread here, but I've been given a pair of HD650s. I am currently running it with a Fulla 2 and was wondering if I was to get a Jot with no module (AMP only), would the Fulla 2 DAC suffice with it? Thank you.

Apr 1, 2018 at 4:06 AM Post #5,312 of 6,472
Hey guys, sorry to hi-jack the thread here, but I've been given a pair of HD650s. I am currently running it with a Fulla 2 and was wondering if I was to get a Jot with no module (AMP only), would the Fulla 2 DAC suffice with it? Thank you.
Yes, you can use Fulla-2 as a DAC and connect it to the Jot RCA inputs. It would be best to use the fixed (not variable) line-out in the back and you would need a 3.5mm stereo to RCA adapter cable.

Of course, Fulla-2 is at the lower end of the Schiit product line for DACs and you will get improvements as you upgrade the DAC.

Apr 1, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #5,313 of 6,472
In balanced mode, the Jot is an awesome match for the 650s. Even at 300 ohms it has gobs of power on tap and you will probably notice a huge step up from the Fulla 2.

Apr 1, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #5,314 of 6,472
In balanced mode, the Jot is an awesome match for the 650s. Even at 300 ohms it has gobs of power on tap and you will probably notice a huge step up from the Fulla 2.
Agree that the Jot is a pretty good amp for the HD650 since its a bit on the bright side and makes a decent pairing IMO. The Jot is a better amp from the balanced output but its not due to the extra power that makes most headphones sound better, it has more to do with the design of the electrical circuits between the SE and balanced output that is making the difference in sound.

Apr 1, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #5,315 of 6,472
I can't post any pics because I've already done the MB upgrade to Jot. However, here are the steps that I did to do it.

1. Remove the volume knob (1/16" hex driver) then the nut and washer behind the volume knob.
2. Remove all the screws in the back (phillips head screw driver)
3. Remove the screws on the bottom of the chassis as the upgrade board comes with an aluminum standoff that must be installed.
4. Install the aluminum standoff provided.
5. Plug the MB DAC into the pins on the main board.
6. Attach the DAC to the standoff with provided screw.
7. Reassemble everything back.

That is how I did it and I'm sure that there may be other ways. Hope this helps.
Hi,

I have followed the steps and was able to onstall MB dac upgrade board, but it is bit loose as it does not have L shaped brackets as in old board. So support is just on plugged in pins and back alimunium plate. Am i missing something here?

Schitt just send an aliminium plate with one screw along with upgrade dac board. So i guess thats it?

Apr 1, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #5,317 of 6,472
Agree that the Jot is a pretty good amp for the HD650 since its a bit on the bright side and makes a decent pairing IMO. The Jot is a better amp from the balanced output but its not due to the extra power that makes most headphones sound better, it has more to do with the design of the electrical circuits between the SE and balanced output that is making the difference in sound.
I think it’s a combination of the power, the channel separation of balanced, and the aggressive sound of the Jotunheim. The 650 is a pretty laid back headphone and kind of dark of course. The Jot, as you pointed out, is a little bright, but helps the 650 deliver a stronger low end with all that power. 900mW at 300 ohms ain’t no joke for a headphone amp. The dynamics and resolution take a step up from less powerful amps.

Apr 1, 2018 at 11:02 PM Post #5,318 of 6,472
I am definitely also among those, needing to know how this new multibit DAC section compares to the Mimby.

If it's literally just a USB only Mimby I'm about to be all over this upgrade.

Apr 1, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #5,319 of 6,472
I think it’s a combination of the power, the channel separation of balanced, and the aggressive sound of the Jotunheim. The 650 is a pretty laid back headphone and kind of dark of course. The Jot, as you pointed out, is a little bright, but helps the 650 deliver a stronger low end with all that power. 900mW at 300 ohms ain’t no joke for a headphone amp. The dynamics and resolution take a step up from less powerful amps.
I don't agree that its the power since to me my BH Crack (slightly modded, way less power output than the Jot) is a better pairing providing better dynamics, resolution while keeping the basic character of the HD650/6XX and is a great match for the HD700, HD800 and T1gen1 where the Jot just doesn't pair well with any of them even if it has the power. Another way to look at it is the HD650 only needs 0.1 w to reach 103dB so unless you are trying to damage your hearing all that power is not being used.

Apr 1, 2018 at 11:41 PM Post #5,320 of 6,472
I don't agree that its the power since to me my BH Crack (slightly modded, way less power output than the Jot) is a better pairing providing better dynamics, resolution while keeping the basic character of the HD650/6XX and is a great match for the HD700, HD800 and T1gen1 where the Jot just doesn't pair well with any of them even if it has the power. Another way to look at it is the HD650 only needs 0.1 w to reach 103dB so unless you are trying to damage your hearing all that power is not being used.
Could be true. I've only really used my Vali 2 and Jot with the 650s so far from an exhaustive experience with this headphone.

Apr 2, 2018 at 1:51 AM Post #5,321 of 6,472
Could be true. I've only really used my Vali 2 and Jot with the 650s so far from an exhaustive experience with this headphone.
See if you can try the HD650 on a OTL amp and see if its something you like over a SS amp like the Jot, we all have different preferences so its good to try different set ups to help one find their "end game" but sadly there is no end game for most in this crazy hobby.

Apr 2, 2018 at 6:44 AM Post #5,322 of 6,472
Hi,

I have followed the steps and was able to onstall MB dac upgrade board, but it is bit loose as it does not have L shaped brackets as in old board. So support is just on plugged in pins and back alimunium plate. Am i missing something here?

Schitt just send an aliminium plate with one screw along with upgrade dac board. So i guess thats it?

You probably should contact Schiit about this. The upgrade DAC should come with a standoff which you screw the upgrade board to.

If it’s any consolation, my upgrade came with the standoff but no back bracket. However they were super responsive and have shipped me the missing part.

When it arrives I’ll post further impressions of the upgrade experience.

Apr 2, 2018 at 7:07 AM Post #5,323 of 6,472
You probably should contact Schiit about this. The upgrade DAC should come with a standoff which you screw the upgrade board to.

If it’s any consolation, my upgrade came with the standoff but no back bracket. However they were super responsive and have shipped me the missing part.

When it arrives I’ll post further impressions of the upgrade experience.
Thanks, i have contacted Schiit and they shipped missing parts. I am happy with their response time.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2018 at 7:12 AM Post #5,324 of 6,472

Well said, I fully agree with your analysis. I too owned the Vali 2 (actually sold it yesterday) and while the HD650 did sound reasonably good with it I found that the sound of the HD650 a bit restrained. The Jotunheim seems to be able to get a grip on the HD650 dirvers and really make them sing. I dare say there is absolutely no hint of veil when driven by the Jotunheim.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2018 at 7:35 AM Post #5,325 of 6,472
I really like my Jot and how well it drives Mr Speakers Aeon closed back as well as my Audeze LCD i4. Plus the Jot is very tough, my fat cat pushed it of m desk and it fell into my printer. I have one dead printer and the jot did not have a scratch on it and still sounds great. I hope to get a Lyre 3 sometime soon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back