Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Apr 3, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #5,326 of 6,472
Sorry to interrupt the discussion on the hd650; however, has anyone tried the Jotunheim with Dac module balanced to Audeze LCD XCs? From what I hear the Jotunheim seems to be on the bright side and I am not sure if they would be a good pair with the LCD XCs. I prefer powerful bass, smooth vocals, and clear highs(not hot). Thank you so much. And can anyone compare the Jotunheim to the Ifi Micro IDSD Black Label or Audeze Deckard? Thank You!!

Apr 4, 2018 at 12:42 AM Post #5,327 of 6,472
You probably should contact Schiit about this. The upgrade DAC should come with a standoff which you screw the upgrade board to.

If it’s any consolation, my upgrade came with the standoff but no back bracket. However they were super responsive and have shipped me the missing part.

When it arrives I’ll post further impressions of the upgrade experience.
Same happened to me. No stand off between the main board and the DAC board.

Apr 4, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #5,328 of 6,472
I went through latest posts since new Jot was announced but it's still not clear to me. Is new Jot with Multibit DAC same as getting new Jot and external Mimby (don't care for any other input than USB).

I have Magni 3/Mimby combo at work desk and was considering upgrading Magni 3 to Jot. After seeing new Jot announcement I would replace both with new Jot with Multibit module if sound quality is same. It would help cleaning up my desk too.

Apr 4, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #5,329 of 6,472
I went through latest posts since new Jot was announced but it's still not clear to me. Is new Jot with Multibit DAC same as getting new Jot and external Mimby (don't care for any other input than USB).

I have Magni 3/Mimby combo at work desk and was considering upgrading Magni 3 to Jot. After seeing new Jot announcement I would replace both with new Jot with Multibit module if sound quality is same. It would help cleaning up my desk too.

Schiit's introduction post for the Jotunheim Multibit calls its multibit DAC "...essentially a Modi Multibit with a single input—USB"

http://www.schiit.com/about/news/introducing-jotunheim-multibit

Apr 4, 2018 at 8:47 PM Post #5,330 of 6,472
Same happened to me. No stand off between the main board and the DAC board.

I was missing the stand-off with my upgrade kit as well. They sent a kit within an hour of me contacting them, but I had already waited 10 days for the board to arrive (and I paid for 2 day shipping). It will be almost 3 weeks from ordering to being able to install the module! I've had excellent experiences with Schiit in the past, but this was nothing short of a sorry effort.

Apr 4, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #5,331 of 6,472
Well said, I fully agree with your analysis. I too owned the Vali 2 (actually sold it yesterday) and while the HD650 did sound reasonably good with it I found that the sound of the HD650 a bit restrained. The Jotunheim seems to be able to get a grip on the HD650 dirvers and really make them sing. I dare say there is absolutely no hint of veil when driven by the Jotunheim.

Are you running them off of the balanced output? I really like the balanced side of the Jot with all of my HD6xx series cans. I will admit, however, the Woo Audio WA3 I just purchased makes the Senns sing like nothing I've ever heard!

Apr 4, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #5,332 of 6,472
Are you running them off of the balanced output? I really like the balanced side of the Jot with all of my HD6xx series cans. I will admit, however, the Woo Audio WA3 I just purchased makes the Senns sing like nothing I've ever heard!

I converted both of my stock HD650 and stock HE500 cables to balanced just so that I can take advantage of the Jot's balance output. I kept my HD6XX cable as single ended but I have tried it with my converted HD650 balance cable as well.

Apr 4, 2018 at 10:17 PM Post #5,333 of 6,472
I converted both of my stock HD650 and stock HE500 cables to balanced just so that I can take advantage of the Jot's balance output. I kept my HD6XX cable as single ended but I have tried it with my converted HD650 balance cable as well.

Thanks for the reply! I picked up a couple balanced cables for my HD600/HD650/HD660S, and one for my HD700. I really like the improvement to the sound of all the HD's when using the balanced cables with the Jot.

Apr 5, 2018 at 1:15 AM Post #5,334 of 6,472
Sorry to interrupt the discussion on the hd650; however, has anyone tried the Jotunheim with Dac module balanced to Audeze LCD XCs? From what I hear the Jotunheim seems to be on the bright side and I am not sure if they would be a good pair with the LCD XCs. I prefer powerful bass, smooth vocals, and clear highs(not hot). Thank you so much. And can anyone compare the Jotunheim to the Ifi Micro IDSD Black Label or Audeze Deckard? Thank You!!

I find the jot/Multibit to be a very good match for the XC I find it very detailed and bass is awesome. Its my favorite setup right now.

Apr 5, 2018 at 7:25 AM Post #5,335 of 6,472
I find the jot/Multibit to be a very good match for the XC I find it very detailed and bass is awesome. Its my favorite setup right now.
Hello, thank you for the response can you go deeper into the sound character. I am mostly worried about the setup being bright or harsh in the treble. Also does balance make a difference for the lcd XC? Thank you so much!

Apr 5, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #5,336 of 6,472
I can't post any pics because I've already done the MB upgrade to Jot. However, here are the steps that I did to do it.

1. Remove the volume knob (1/16" hex driver) then the nut and washer behind the volume knob.
2. Remove all the screws in the back (phillips head screw driver)
3. Remove the screws on the bottom of the chassis as the upgrade board comes with an aluminum standoff that must be installed.
4. Install the aluminum standoff provided.
5. Plug the MB DAC into the pins on the main board.
6. Attach the DAC to the standoff with provided screw.
7. Reassemble everything back.

That is how I did it and I'm sure that there may be other ways. Hope this helps.

I was able to do the swap by removing the volume knob, the nut and washer behind the volume knob (remove aluminum housing here), the screw that attached the window filler piece to the case, and one screw that held the old DAC module to the main board (remove module here). I installed the standoff to the main board, installed the new window filler piece, plugged in the new MB DAC module, and screwed it to the standoff. I don't see that it's necessary to remove all the screws on the back or any off the screws on the bottom. I should also add that you need to be careful when re-seating the aluminum cover so the power light goes back into the hole in the cover. It's also best to have the 2 front switches (Gain/Source) in the down position. They go back through the slots in the cover easier during re-assembly when in the down position.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #5,338 of 6,472
I was able to do the swap by removing the volume knob, the nut and washer behind the volume knob (remove aluminum housing here), the screw that attached the window filler piece to the case, and one screw that held the old DAC module to the main board (remove module here). I installed the standoff to the main board, installed the new window filler piece, plugged in the new MB DAC module, and screwed it to the standoff. I don't see that it's necessary to remove all the screws on the back or any off the screws on the bottom. I should also add that you need to be careful when re-seating the aluminum cover so the power light goes back into the hole in the cover. It's also best to have the 2 front switches (Gain/Source) in the down position. They go back through the slots in the cover easier during re-assembly when in the down position.

Since some here have complained that Schitt did not send all the parts needed for self-installation of the Multibit Dac card, it would really be nice if someone listed all the parts that should be included, so as to know whats (if) missing when mine arrives. Also sound impressions of the card would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Apr 6, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #5,339 of 6,472
Apologies if this is a silly question- how is the knob-turning feel on the Jotunheim? Is it smooth and heavy (weighted) or light? Am thinking about ordering one. Thanks.
I like it, smooth, not light, no slop, not weighted like tuner knobs on good vintage tuners (they had flywheels) but quality feel.

Apr 6, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #5,340 of 6,472
Apologies if this is a silly question- how is the knob-turning feel on the Jotunheim? Is it smooth and heavy (weighted) or light? Am thinking about ordering one. Thanks.

The knob turns smoothly and firmly. The knob itself is a solid chunk of aluminum and it feels heavy when you turn it. Best of all, the pot is silent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back