Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Mar 27, 2018 at 6:40 AM Post #5,281 of 6,469
If you already love the sound sig of HD800S, Jotty is a great amp for it.

My current setup is a Etir -> Mimby -> Jotty -> HD800S balanced, and the entire setup is essentially to strengthen what's great about the HD800S.

Mar 27, 2018 at 6:42 AM Post #5,282 of 6,469
While I haven't personally tried the HD800S on a Jot it would not be an amp I would suggest for them. One of the better amps that I've heard a friend's HD800S on was the Elise (with updated tubes), Teac HA501, G-109, and Heron 5. These are all a little more pricy than the Jot but I think they make a better pairing with the HD800S since I didn't like them on my Asgard2 or Lyr2 and the Jot seemed to pair better with planar and slightly warmer dynamic headphones like the HD650 to me and even the owner of the HD800S. But since we all hear differently you might like the pairing of the HD800S and Jot.

Man, thanks so much for taking the time to post. I will do some research on the different ones you mentioned and see what prices and returns are like. The fact that you didn't find he Asgard 2 a very good pairing could be telling. I always thought he Asgard 2 was meant to be warmer.

Living in Australia it's a little tricky to have access to everything but I might get lucky! I'm also tempted by the 6XX, never listen to any of the top tier stuff and just settle with that.

Exciting times ahead.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2018 at 6:45 AM Post #5,283 of 6,469
If you already love the sound sig of HD800S, Jotty is a great amp for it.

My current setup is a Etir -> Mimby -> Jotty -> HD800S balanced, and the entire setup is essentially to strengthen what's great about the HD800S.

I thought the Mimby had Gen 5? That's a sweet rig though man. It's nice to hear that though the Jot 800S might not be for everyone, it pleases some.

Mar 27, 2018 at 6:49 AM Post #5,284 of 6,469
I thought the Mimby had Gen 5? That's a sweet rig though man. It's nice to hear that though the Jot 800S might not be for everyone, it pleases some.

My Mimby was purchased before Gen 5 was released, and since Mimby is not upgradable I purhcased an Etir for that exact purpose.

Indeed. It's all about preference, I've listened to multiple different combinations that I would afford in my budget, but I settled with this one.

So I'd suggest take all opinions as a grain of salt, your ears will be the judge at the very end.

Mar 27, 2018 at 7:05 AM Post #5,285 of 6,469
Even mimbys released after Gev 5 USB are still Gen 2 USB. Mike and Jason have both said that modi multibit is already too packed full to fit Gen 5.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2018 at 12:07 AM Post #5,290 of 6,469
I will receive multibit dac module soon, pls send steps to install.
I’ll be getting mine too. If there’s still interest when it arrives, I’ll show you how to install it.

Mar 28, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #5,292 of 6,469
Definitely. If possible, step-by-step pictures would be very helpful.

You bet. Mine's been ordered but has not yet shipped, and I'm in Canada, so it'll be a few days. If I have the ability to post pics (I believe there are restrictions on what new members can do until they reach a certain number of posts), I will do so.

Mar 28, 2018 at 11:59 PM Post #5,293 of 6,469
I can't post any pics because I've already done the MB upgrade to Jot. However, here are the steps that I did to do it.

1. Remove the volume knob (1/16" hex driver) then the nut and washer behind the volume knob.
2. Remove all the screws in the back (phillips head screw driver)
3. Remove the screws on the bottom of the chassis as the upgrade board comes with an aluminum standoff that must be installed.
4. Install the aluminum standoff provided.
5. Plug the MB DAC into the pins on the main board.
6. Attach the DAC to the standoff with provided screw.
7. Reassemble everything back.

That is how I did it and I'm sure that there may be other ways. Hope this helps.

Mar 29, 2018 at 3:36 AM Post #5,295 of 6,469
Can someone compare Jotunheim and Magni 3 in sound quality?

Is it worth upgrading from Magni 3 to Jotunheim (SE only)?

Thank you

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back