Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Oct 3, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #4,953 of 6,469
Finally received my Jotunheim and spent the last fours listening with my 650's. This is my first headphone style amp and with recently re ripping my music library into lossless all I can say is it's a great experience.

Oct 3, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #4,954 of 6,469
I'm not sure. Maybe I could try it out if my jotunheim dac WORKED. Or maybe if schiit support would REPLY. I'm really annoyed that they still haven't helped me at all. It's been weeks already.

Oct 3, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #4,955 of 6,469
I'm not sure. Maybe I could try it out if my jotunheim dac WORKED. Or maybe if schiit support would REPLY. I'm really annoyed that they still haven't helped me at all. It's been weeks already.
Did you try calling? I emailed them and heard back in less than 24 hours and I'm in New Zealand. They solved my issue very quickly.

Oct 3, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #4,957 of 6,469
And how does the claim that it's a better idea to get a Modi hold?

It holds pretty well. Many claims are made in the head-fi field, some of them subtle, others subjective or purely psychological. But, the sonic difference between the internal Jot DAC and the Modi DAC (Multibit) is substantial in my opinion. It's instantly discernible in the soundstage and imaging, along with probably many other areas that have technical terms I am not going to bother with....

If you have only heard the internal DAC, you will probably be OK with it, but once you have heard an external DAC like Mimby with the Jot, no going back to the internal one (assuming you have decent headphones). :)

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #4,958 of 6,469
I've heard claims that the Jotunheim's DAC module is actually just two Fullas on a small board. It won't sound really good and even purchasing an external Modi 2 non-uber would already sound significantly better.
The Jotunheim's DAC is essentially a balanced version of Modi 2 (non-Uber). Like the Modi 2, it is powered by the USB and can be affected by electrical noise on the USB power. The next step up in performance would be Modi 2 Uber, which has a separate power supply.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #4,959 of 6,469
So, I've just sent off the order for a Jotunheim, but now I've heard about a big problem with it from another guy: The XLR pre-outs don't mute when you plug in a headphone. This would be a MAJOR inconvenience and I might even cancel the order if that's the case.

Can anyone confirm or debunk that claim?

Oct 4, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #4,961 of 6,469
So, I've just sent off the order for a Jotunheim, but now I've heard about a big problem with it from another guy: The XLR pre-outs don't mute when you plug in a headphone. This would be a MAJOR inconvenience and I might even cancel the order if that's the case.

Can anyone confirm or debunk that claim?
That’s true - ‘phones DO NOT automatically mute speakers. I’m not sure why,, but I just power down my monitors because they’re right on my desktop...

Oct 4, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #4,962 of 6,469
That’s true - ‘phones DO NOT automatically mute speakers. I’m not sure why,, but I just power down my monitors because they’re right on my desktop...

Oh my god, sorry for my outburst here, but this is dumb as hell. Even my old Fulla 2 could do this without hassle, and it was a FIFTH of the price! Gaaahhh...

My speakers are going to be mounted in such a way that I will not be able to conveniently turn them off whenever I need them to.

I'm seriously considering to just order a Magni 3 now, which will sound significantly worse and also have no XLR support, but at least I won't have to worry about something this calibre of stupid design.

Oct 4, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #4,963 of 6,469
Oh my god, sorry for my outburst here, but this is dumb as hell. Even my old Fulla 2 could do this without hassle, and it was a FIFTH of the price! Gaaahhh...

My speakers are going to be mounted in such a way that I will not be able to conveniently turn them off whenever I need them to.

I'm seriously considering to just order a Magni 3 now, which will sound significantly worse and also have no XLR support, but at least I won't have to worry about something this calibre of stupid design.
Been discussed ad nauseam. According to Schiit, there's no reliable, non-distorting way of sensing an XLR socket to determine whether the headphones are plugged into it. In contrast, stereo jack connections have a built-in muting switch.

Oct 4, 2017 at 6:34 PM Post #4,965 of 6,469
Been discussed ad nauseam. According to Schiit, there's no reliable, non-distorting way of sensing an XLR socket to determine whether the headphones are plugged into it. In contrast, stereo jack connections have a built-in muting switch.
Thanks for the info - that’s kind of what I thought...

Do you mean the jack headphone input has muting and only the balanced output doesn't?
Does not mute with the traditional 1/4” jack either...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back