Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Sep 20, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #4,921 of 6,472
It would be a balanced to single-ended connection. The signal will travel as balanced (6 wires XLR vs. 4 RCA) and convert to single ended at the end. It still will enhance resilience to interference on the way. Also the balanced output voltage is usually higher than SE. It will also help with interference.
Just the answer I was looking for, thanks.

Sep 21, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #4,923 of 6,472
Hey guys I am considering buying a jot the 2 main headphones I will be using are fostex t50rp mk3 and some he 400i , i know for the the 400i that they don't need the power but more concerned on overall pairing of these 2 as I have read both can be a little bright.
I used my Jot with my 400i when I had them. It was very harsh when I first powered up my Jot, but mellowed out quickly. Only took about an hour or so for the harshness to subside...but it was still a bit too bright for my liking. It took the treble to the upper limit of my comfort... I ended up giving my 400i and LD i+ setup to my brother.

Sep 21, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #4,924 of 6,472
I used my Jot with my 400i when I had them. It was very harsh when I first powered up my Jot, but mellowed out quickly. Only took about an hour or so for the harshness to subside...but it was still a bit too bright for my liking. It took the treble to the upper limit of my comfort... I ended up giving my 400i and LD i+ setup to my brother.
Thanks for your views I have decided not to go down the jot road because of what you just described although appreciate all are not having the same findings.

Sep 22, 2017 at 12:55 AM Post #4,927 of 6,472
I got the Jot when it first came out, it was great with my HD 600 but a few months later when I upgraded the HD 600 to balanced cables it really came alive!

It's been a year now and I still don't have the upgrade bug, IMO the Jotunheim is a keeper!

Agreed, I love my Jotunheim and couldn't ask for a better amp for my HD650s. A BH Crack would be a fun companion amp for the Jot, something for when I want that extra warmth, but I'm not in a hurry to get one.

Sep 22, 2017 at 4:43 AM Post #4,928 of 6,472
Your both correct.

Sep 24, 2017 at 11:57 PM Post #4,932 of 6,472
Hi All, does Jot also have the common problem of imbalance volume on low volume? Because sometimes I would want to use it with not just headphones but also iems. Thanks.

I haven't felt any volume imbalance at low volume. Also, IEMs should be used at low gain setting, so the volume won't be that low I believe.

Sep 24, 2017 at 11:58 PM Post #4,933 of 6,472
It's quite good with channel tracking. I believe it uses a rather high end pot. I've used IEMs with low gain and it's the quietest amp I've used by far that's not portable or lacking power. I also listen at low volumes and usually have to use an airplane attenuator but not with Jot.

Sep 25, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #4,934 of 6,472
It's quite good with channel tracking. I believe it uses a rather high end pot. I've used IEMs with low gain and it's the quietest amp I've used by far that's not portable or lacking power. I also listen at low volumes and usually have to use an airplane attenuator but not with Jot.
Thanks, I also have to use airline attenuator on low gain when listening to iems. Now when I get my E-MU teak, I may also consider getting a Jot.

Sep 25, 2017 at 6:06 AM Post #4,935 of 6,472
@cskippy

Hmm, alright. I guess there seems to be somewhat of a SQ plateau then regarding schiits mid tier offerings. I think I'll likely go the mjolnir 2/mimby route for now. Later on when funds permit I'll upgrade the dac.

Thank you, sir!
Hmmm I am thinking the opposite. Such as go ahead and get the top of the line dac (Yggdrasil) and a good amp like a Magni or similar. OR I could just send in my old Mjolnir and have them refurbish it so there is that option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back