Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Sep 25, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #4,936 of 6,472
Hi All, does Jot also have the common problem of imbalance volume on low volume? Because sometimes I would want to use it with not just headphones but also iems. Thanks.

IMO the volume control is one of the short-comings with the Magni amps of past (as well as the Vali 2). Not the greatest at low volume listening due to imbalance. On the other hand the Jot has an excellent volume knob that doesn't exhibit much if any channel imbalance. In addition it's size and smooth operation really helps dial in precise volume setting. My Project Ember has a terrific pot as well. I believe a good volume pot is essential.

Sep 25, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #4,937 of 6,472
IMO the volume control is one of the short-comings with the Magni amps of past (as well as the Vali 2). Not the greatest at low volume listening due to imbalance. On the other hand the Jot has an excellent volume knob that doesn't exhibit much if any channel imbalance. In addition it's size and smooth operation really helps dial in precise volume setting. My Project Ember has a terrific pot as well. I believe a good volume pot is essential.

My Jot tracks fine as well.

Sep 26, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #4,938 of 6,472
Anround two weeks ago, in the aftermath of hurricane Harvey, my home experienced a power surge after which my jotunheim's dac stopped functioning. I had it connected to a wyrd and a everything was in a surge protector. Nothing but the jotunheim's internal dac was damaged. At first the dac just didn't work but now all I hear is loud hissing and static, which makes music impossible to listen to, so I contacted schiit support 3 days after the dac stopped working. They asked me a couple of questions but I haven't heard back from them in 5 days. What should I do?

Sep 26, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #4,940 of 6,472
Anround two weeks ago, in the aftermath of hurricane Harvey, my home experienced a power surge after which my jotunheim's dac stopped functioning. I had it connected to a wyrd and a everything was in a surge protector. Nothing but the jotunheim's internal dac was damaged. At first the dac just didn't work but now all I hear is loud hissing and static, which makes music impossible to listen to, so I contacted schiit support 3 days after the dac stopped working. They asked me a couple of questions but I haven't heard back from them in 5 days. What should I do?

They're usually pretty good at responding but I suspect the launch of these new products has them pretty busy. Have you tried connecting coaxial or toslink inputs (avoiding the USB input entirely) to see if the noise has hit those inputs as well?

Sep 26, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #4,941 of 6,472
They're usually pretty good at responding but I suspect the launch of these new products has them pretty busy. Have you tried connecting coaxial or toslink inputs (avoiding the USB input entirely) to see if the noise has hit those inputs as well?
The jotunheim dac is usb only and I just attempted to contact them again

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #4,942 of 6,472
The jotunheim dac is usb only

Ah yes, sorry I was confusing the Jot with a Bimby. However, I suppose if you do have a standalone DAC you could use it to test if there's still noise coming from your Jot. If there is, there may be issues with the preamp or amp section of your Jot too. If there isn't any noise being amplified by your Jot from the external DAC then you can confirm that the Jot's USB/DAC is the problem. But then you may already have concluded that already.

Sep 26, 2017 at 9:46 PM Post #4,943 of 6,472
Ah yes, sorry I was confusing the Jot with a Bimby. However, I suppose if you do have a standalone DAC you could use it to test if there's still noise coming from your Jot. If there is, there may be issues with the preamp or amp section of your Jot too. If there isn't any noise being amplified by your Jot from the external DAC then you can confirm that the Jot's USB/DAC is the problem. But then you may already have concluded that already.
I've been using an oppo ha-2 with no issues, so I am certain that the issue is indeed the jot's dac.

Sep 27, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #4,944 of 6,472
I've been using an oppo ha-2 with no issues, so I am certain that the issue is indeed the jot's dac.
Have you tried playing something through the Jot's analog input? You can't be sure that the issue is in the DAC until you've done that.

You need to keep trying to contact Schiit until you get through. It is potentially covered under warranty. At this point it is still only speculation that it was knocked out by a power surge. It's possible a component might have been out of spec and that it should have survived. They need to look at it and make a determination about warranty.

I presume that you get the same result when you bypass your Wyrd? The Jot's DAC is powered by the USB (not the internal power supply). If it was damaged by the USB, it was a signal that the Wyrd passed through or might have been generated by the Wyrd itself.

Sep 27, 2017 at 12:38 AM Post #4,945 of 6,472
Have you tried playing something through the Jot's analog input? You can't be sure that the issue is in the DAC until you've done that.

You need to keep trying to contact Schiit until you get through. It is potentially covered under warranty. At this point it is still only speculation that it was knocked out by a power surge. It's possible a component might have been out of spec and that it should have survived. They need to look at it and make a determination about warranty.

I presume that you get the same result when you bypass your Wyrd? The Jot's DAC is powered by the USB (not the internal power supply). If it was damaged by the USB, it was a signal that the Wyrd passed through or might have been generated by the Wyrd itself.
I've tried running the jot dac through the wyrd, directly to my pc, and through otg to my phone. The sound is extremely distorted and buzzy. I currently use the wyrd between my pc and the ha-2, which I use as a dac into the jot. I'm pretty sure at this point that the jot dac is the problem. I contacted schiit again earlier today and am currently awaiting response.

Sep 27, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #4,946 of 6,472
I've tried running the jot dac through the wyrd, directly to my pc, and through otg to my phone. The sound is extremely distorted and buzzy. I currently use the wyrd between my pc and the ha-2, which I use as a dac into the jot. I'm pretty sure at this point that the jot dac is the problem. I contacted schiit again earlier today and am currently awaiting response.
Which email did you use? When i tired info@, I never got a response. I used this email because I was asking some questions before I purchased my Jot..ended up just purchasing it anyway. When I had some questions, I decided to just email orders@ since I just decided to reply to my order confirmation.

I got a response really quick with the sales one. When I asked another more technical question, I was forwarded to tech@. They responded not as quick as the sales email, but I got a response the same day....good luck.

Sep 27, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #4,947 of 6,472
Which email did you use? When i tired info@, I never got a response. I used this email because I was asking some questions before I purchased my Jot..ended up just purchasing it anyway. When I had some questions, I decided to just email orders@ since I just decided to reply to my order confirmation.

I got a response really quick with the sales one. When I asked another more technical question, I was forwarded to tech@. They responded not as quick as the sales email, but I got a response the same day....good luck.
I emailed tech@ and got quick responses at first but then nothing at all. I emailed them again yesterday but so far no reply.

Sep 27, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #4,948 of 6,472
I emailed tech@ and got quick responses at first but then nothing at all. I emailed them again yesterday but so far no reply.
Hmm, maybe do a reply to your original order and CC tech@ as well? Seems strange that they're not getting back to you...I'd hate for this to be one of their "bad customer service" examples...There's some people on reddit that are pretty fed up with them as far as service after the sale.

Oct 3, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #4,949 of 6,472
I've heard claims that the Jotunheim's DAC module is actually just two Fullas on a small board. It won't sound really good and even purchasing an external Modi 2 non-uber would already sound significantly better.

Can anyone debunk or confirm this claim? I find it hard to believe that the module sounds worse, considering it's the same price as the external solution.

Oct 3, 2017 at 5:52 PM Post #4,950 of 6,472
I've heard claims that the Jotunheim's DAC module is actually just two Fullas on a small board. It won't sound really good and even purchasing an external Modi 2 non-uber would already sound significantly better.

Can anyone debunk or confirm this claim? I find it hard to believe that the module sounds worse, considering it's the same price as the external solution.
If you mean 2 of the same 4490 chip, then yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back