Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Aug 17, 2017 at 3:37 AM Post #4,816 of 6,469
At first I am planning to get Mjolnir 2 pair with Gungnir multibit, but after reading a lot about tube amp (I never had experience with tube amp) I was a bit of scared, the idea of tube rolling is scared me. So instead I am planning to get Jotunheim amp (Ragnarok is out of my budget) pairing with Gungnir. What do you guys think? Any advice will be much appreciated, thanks.

Aug 17, 2017 at 3:48 AM Post #4,817 of 6,469
I don't want to talk you out of getting Jot but Mjolnir 2 with stock tubes is just fine. You can also purchase the LISST tubes as well for an all solid state amp. IMO, people spend too much money tube rolling, I speak from experience spending over $400 on tubes for an amp costing $300.

Aug 17, 2017 at 5:27 AM Post #4,818 of 6,469
You can also purchase the LISST tubes as well for an all solid state amp.

Yes but people on the Mjolnir 2 forum and review seems to dislike the LISST tubes, its not as good as dedicated solid state amp and in this case some people prefer Jotunheim over Mjolnir 2 with LISST tubes.

Aug 17, 2017 at 5:29 AM Post #4,819 of 6,469
IMO, people spend too much money tube rolling, I speak from experience spending over $400 on tubes for an amp costing $300.

This is what I am afraid of

Aug 17, 2017 at 6:13 AM Post #4,820 of 6,469
What are your headphones? Do you care about soundstage or do you just want quick transients, good bass and a slightly brighter sound? Jot will do well with darker headphones like the HD650, really brings them to life. It has great driver control but it lacks in sound stage depth and can have a treble glare or slight edge to the sound that never completely goes away.

Aug 17, 2017 at 7:09 AM Post #4,821 of 6,469
What are your headphones? Do you care about soundstage or do you just want quick transients, good bass and a slightly brighter sound? Jot will do well with darker headphones like the HD650, really brings them to life. It has great driver control but it lacks in sound stage depth and can have a treble glare or slight edge to the sound that never completely goes away.

I am using Focal Elear pairing it with JDS LABS El DAC/AMP stack. The El DAC/AMP is my first desktop setup and Elear really sound good with it compare to my portable setup (iBasso DX200). So I am just curious how much Elear will improve when I am pairing it with a better desktop setup.

Aug 17, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #4,822 of 6,469
I don't want to talk you out of getting Jot but Mjolnir 2 with stock tubes is just fine. You can also purchase the LISST tubes as well for an all solid state amp. IMO, people spend too much money tube rolling, I speak from experience spending over $400 on tubes for an amp costing $300.

I agree that you don't need to buy too many tubes to get a good cross section of how a tube amp sounds. I bought 3 popular tubes for my Vali 2 to replace the stock tube over the last 2 years. They sound very good with my Project Ember too, so does the very nice 12V tube that came with it.

Aug 17, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #4,825 of 6,469
I have an HD650 (with balanced cable) and will be getting the HD6XX (with standard SE cable) when Massdrop ships them in December. I was wondering if the Jotunheim is able to capably run both headphones simultaneously? Since both headphones are 300 ohm they should be roughly the same volume. Actually the balanced set should be a bit louder but that's ok.

Aug 17, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #4,826 of 6,469
Jot will do well with darker headphones like the HD650, really brings them to life. It has great driver control but it lacks in sound stage depth and can have a treble glare or slight edge to the sound that never completely goes away.

Totally agree with this. As much as I love my Jot, if it's paired with brighter sounding headphones, it can definitely become too much of a good thing. The Lyr 2 is also an amazingly great sounding amp (even with its stock tubes) and I actually prefer it in many respects over the Jot. I plan on getting the Lyr 2 as my next amp to compliment the Jot, because sometimes I want a slightly richer and more vivid sound than the Jot provides.

The Jot is like Sparkletts ultra-filtered water, while the Lyr 2 is more like Arrowhead mountain spring water. They both are pure water but each one has its own unique subtle flavor.

Aug 18, 2017 at 12:51 AM Post #4,827 of 6,469
Been using the Jot all day for different genres and even a little gaming. I love this thing with the 650s. Night and day difference from just out of my laptop. Eventually I'll "upgrade"? to the Bifrost Multibit for a DAC, but for now i love it as-is.

If I were to get one of Schiits tube amps, how would I set it up?

Jot DAC->tube amp and just run my headphones off of it? Or would I need a whole new DAC?

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2017 at 1:02 AM Post #4,828 of 6,469
If you have the USB DAC for Jot you can use the preamp outputs and send to a tube amp. Put the volume on the tube amp to 3/4 and control the volume with Jots pot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back