Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Jul 31, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #4,786 of 6,469
Not as much. With the multibit dacs it is due to the fact that the chips themselves need to stay at a constant operating temperature to perform their best.

Aug 1, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #4,787 of 6,469

Alright, so there is no good reason to let it stay on full time. That is what I understand.

Thanks guys

Aug 1, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #4,788 of 6,469
Hahaha no, I didn't say that, I was simply rephrasing his statement as it made them sound like they would be broken if they weren't always on. I do leave mine on 24/7 so that all components remain at a constant operating temperature.

Aug 1, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #4,789 of 6,469
Ensuring our gear sound their best sounds like a good reason to me.

My usual concern has more to do with the potentially damaging heat (up to 45C at times) that results from leaving precious electronics on 24/7 esp in my equatorial climate. Luckily the Jot hardly gets anywhere near hot, though mine doesn't have a DAC.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #4,790 of 6,469
I have the onboard dac I find it harsh for my taste
I use my mojo as a dac much better
I also use mojo>Jot combo and love it. But the jotdac is not bad if you are listening casually or listening at lower volume. Most tracks also play fine when listening through forgiving phones like HD650. Also the jotdac is a nice option when the mojo is out of charge or when you want to give it a rest.

Aug 3, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #4,791 of 6,469
eta on multibit jot lol

How often do schiit update there products? not sure what there product cycle is like.

Aug 3, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #4,793 of 6,469
You would need 2x Mimby boards and external power for a multibit Jot dac. Not going to happen IMO.

Aug 4, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #4,794 of 6,469
eta on multibit jot lol

How often do schiit update there products? not sure what there product cycle is like.

Mike has already said that it cannot be done due to space constraints...

Aug 4, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #4,796 of 6,469
Haha I remember when the Schiit guys said that a Multibit wouldn't fit into a Modi but look what happened.

images (47).jpg

Aug 5, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #4,797 of 6,469
Haha I remember when the Schiit guys said that a Multibit wouldn't fit into a Modi but look what happened.

Plus, Schiit the MB DAC sound best when they are powered on all of the time in order to keep the DAC at optimum operating temperature. Although I suppose you could leave the unit on all of the time but the Jot does get toasty when left on for any length of time.

Aug 5, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #4,798 of 6,469
I was wondering the same thing when they announced their USB 5 input.

"The USB Gen 5 input is now standard on all upgradable Schiit DACs. Retail prices remain the same as before, with Bifrost and Bifrost Multibit at $399 and $599 respectively, Gungnir and Gungnir Multibit at $849 and $1249 respectively, and Yggdrasil at $2299. Current owners of Schiit DACs with Gen 1, 2, and 3 USB inputs can upgrade for $150 with installation. All Gen 5 products are available for purchase now."

By just going off of their news article copied above, it sounds like it'll only be available on the Bifrost, Gungnir and Yggdrasil.

I have found in my situation, a Wyrd4Sound Recovery, made a significant improvement to the Jot's DAC. I think Recovery or Regen is a better choice then Wyrd, as both options tend to be better reviewed. If Schiit ever updates the Jot's dac with Gen5 it will be a moot point, as im sure that alone, would significantly improve audio quality and consistency. Being the JOT's a new product though, I don't expect any upgrade options for a year or two. I think this is why there's such a range of opinion in the jot dac, as it's vulnerable to noise issues and everyone's setup differs in that regard. It makes for an inconsistent result.

Schiit's been rather "stand offish" with regards to decrapifier's, but that's basically what USB Gen1/Gen2/Gen3/Gen5 is.. it's a built in decrapifier, with regard to just getting the job done at a higher level. The seem to imply products like Wyrd/Recovery/Regen are not worth the time, but those products do, to a lesser degree, the same things they are doing in their higher end USB interface options. Particularly with regard to more layers of isolation. I belive Gen5 is better then everything before it, and probably makes Regen/Recovery/Wyrd moot, but that does not mean those products did not help, sometimes significantly, with prior USB generations.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #4,799 of 6,469
Ok, I ordered a Jotunheim/DAC today, together with a Wyrd. Let's see if they will find their way all the way to Saudi Arabia....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back