Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Aug 9, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #4,801 of 6,469
You would need 2x Mimby boards and external power for a multibit Jot dac. Not going to happen IMO.

While it would be a change from the way things are done now, no one said the internal jot dac must be balanced. They could release an unbalanced internal board. Still not enough room for multibit with today's tech. Although, there is room for improvement with the dac, just adding USB5 would be a significant change, if they could do that, and maybe throw in a little something more, it would be a worthwhile upgrade. What that "Something more" is, I don't know, tweak the output stage? a newer dac chip? go unbalanced and use that space for something better? who knows I do hope they eventually update the dac, but it's probably way to early to talk about that.

Aug 13, 2017 at 12:03 AM Post #4,802 of 6,469
Can anyone help me to figure out if Jotunheim is right for my need?

I am keen to try active studio monitor but it needs XLR connection.

My Dac/preamp is balanced dac that has XLR output so I can connect CD (coax), computer (USB), server (optical) to my DAC and output to active monitor (XLR).
However, I have turntable to connect but my Dac does not have any analogue RCA input and I also do need headphone amp too.

Can Jotunheim + phono-amp module help me to connect to turntable to active speaker? I noticed that Jotunheim can be added phono-amp but not sure if I can output to active monitor via XLR balanced or SE output instead.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thank you in advance.

Aug 13, 2017 at 2:31 AM Post #4,803 of 6,469
Can anyone help me to figure out if Jotunheim is right for my need?

I am keen to try active studio monitor but it needs XLR connection.

My Dac/preamp is balanced dac that has XLR output so I can connect CD (coax), computer (USB), server (optical) to my DAC and output to active monitor (XLR).
However, I have turntable to connect but my Dac does not have any analogue RCA input and I also do need headphone amp too.

Can Jotunheim + phono-amp module help me to connect to turntable to active speaker? I noticed that Jotunheim can be added phono-amp but not sure if I can output to active monitor via XLR balanced or SE output instead.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thank you in advance.
I don't know how a turntable connects to a jotunheim's phono stage module but the jotunheim has left and right 3 pin xlr preout in addition to left and right rca preout. So I guess you should be able to use it as preamp for active monitors. I have noticed the jot's volume pot still controls volume in preamp mode.
As headphone amp it has 4 pin xlr and 6.3 mm outputs.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2017 at 2:48 AM Post #4,804 of 6,469
I'm pretty sure that Jot will do all the things you need with the Phono card. Just remember that the pre outs are always active so you might want to put your powered monitors on an easily accessible power strip to turn them off when listening to headphones or not in use.

Aug 14, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #4,806 of 6,469
I'm pretty sure that Jot will do all the things you need with the Phono card. Just remember that the pre outs are always active so you might want to put your powered monitors on an easily accessible power strip to turn them off when listening to headphones or not in use.

Thank you. May I know what happens if I do not turn off active speaker? Does it mean that it will play both speaker as well as headphone at the sam time?

Aug 14, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #4,807 of 6,469
You don't need an amp with XLR outputs. You can just use a RCA to XLR cable to connect your active monitors.
No need to buy a new amp.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pseudo-Ba...hash=item2822566e04:m:mKxGTKc7mFaFFVcLIbTiDsA

Thank you. It may not work for my purpose, I believe.

I need two output to choose between Active speaker and headphone amp.
All of digital source (CDP, Computer, Streamer) are connected to DAC so I need to connect this DAC to active speaker as well as headphone amp.
And, I need to add turntable + phono amp as analogue input. :)

Aug 14, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #4,808 of 6,469
Thank you. May I know what happens if I do not turn off active speaker? Does it mean that it will play both speaker as well as headphone at the sam time?
Yes that is correct.

Aug 15, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #4,809 of 6,469
Haven't been on here in YEARS, but I recently built a new desk and revamped my setup, with which came a dive back into desktop gear. Ordered a Jot and HD650s. The Jot will also be a preamp to my KRK Rokit5G2 and matching 10" sub. I mainly listen to various types of dance music, but decided I'd try my first pair of open headphones before I just go out and get yet another pair of Beyers.

My last headphones were DT-770/80 and a little Fiio amp so nothing that crazy. I've never owned an external dac and full desktop amp so I'm pretty excited. My only other headphones are my HD25ii that I DJ with, but I plan on getting the DT-1770 pro and maybe even the Hifiman 4xx off of massdrop.

Aug 16, 2017 at 7:03 AM Post #4,810 of 6,469
Haven't been on here in YEARS, but I recently built a new desk and revamped my setup, with which came a dive back into desktop gear. Ordered a Jot and HD650s. The Jot will also be a preamp to my KRK Rokit5G2 and matching 10" sub. I mainly listen to various types of dance music, but decided I'd try my first pair of open headphones before I just go out and get yet another pair of Beyers.

My last headphones were DT-770/80 and a little Fiio amp so nothing that crazy. I've never owned an external dac and full desktop amp so I'm pretty excited. My only other headphones are my HD25ii that I DJ with, but I plan on getting the DT-1770 pro and maybe even the Hifiman 4xx off of massdrop.

Keep in mind that you will have to turn off or somehow mute your monitors when you want to listen to headphones, as the balanced nature of Jotunheim prevents it from muting the pre-amp outs when a headphone is connected. A conveniently placed power strip with a switch can do wonders in this case.

Also, do yourself a favor and pick up a neutrik 4 pin xlr male and a sennheiser replacement cable and whip up a balanced cable for your HD650s. If you don't have a soldering iron you can purchase a cable pre-made from several places online, but it's almost cheaper to buy an iron and parts to make it yourself.

The HD650s sound absolutely fantastic from the balanced output of Jotunheim. Enjoy your new purchase!

Aug 16, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #4,811 of 6,469
Keep in mind that you will have to turn off or somehow mute your monitors when you want to listen to headphones, as the balanced nature of Jotunheim prevents it from muting the pre-amp outs when a headphone is connected. A conveniently placed power strip with a switch can do wonders in this case.

Also, do yourself a favor and pick up a neutrik 4 pin xlr male and a sennheiser replacement cable and whip up a balanced cable for your HD650s. If you don't have a soldering iron you can purchase a cable pre-made from several places online, but it's almost cheaper to buy an iron and parts to make it yourself.

The HD650s sound absolutely fantastic from the balanced output of Jotunheim. Enjoy your new purchase!
yup I shot a message over to schiit before I ordered, I'll put the monitors on their own power strip or on a wifi switch. I plan on ordering a cable from Impact Audio Cables as well.

Any of you guys using the built in DAC on the Jot with one of their tube amps as well?

Aug 16, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #4,812 of 6,469

I am a bit concerned damaging powered monitor. is monitor okay if it is turned off and on by power strip with a switch?

And, have you also tried Jot with HD600? I heard great result pairing HD650 but not sure about HD600 which I do prefer against HD650.

Thank you.

Aug 16, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #4,813 of 6,469
I am a bit concerned damaging powered monitor. is monitor okay if it is turned off and on by power strip with a switch?

And, have you also tried Jot with HD600? I heard great result pairing HD650 but not sure about HD600 which I do prefer against HD650.

Thank you.

I also prefer the 600s over the 650s - I use a Jot with internal DAC and HD600s - sounds excellent...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back