Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
May 1, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #4,471 of 6,472
If I could sum up the sound in one word I’d say refined... Even with a pair of Grado RS 2e’s, I don’t hear glare - but if your headphones are bright - they’ll sound bright. Running a pair of Genelecs the sound is as detailed and neutral as I’ve heard in any recording studio.

May 1, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #4,472 of 6,472
Anyone like to comment on the tonality of the Schiit Jotunheim ? Some review describe it has having a layer of haze while others say it reproduce tonal colors well. While we all hear things differently, those sounds to me as qualities at variance, so just like to have opinion from someone actually owing the unit.
Like @cskippy I sold a Liquid Carbon and kept my Jot. However, the Jot is very revealing of anything amiss upstream, whether the equipment or the recording, so I can imagine that some listeners heard "haze" that they had not heard before because their previous amps masked it.

May 1, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #4,473 of 6,472
Others can describe it in more detail but I find it has great neutrality, dynamics, and stage width. It lacks some stage depth, center image is somewhat blurry, and it can have a edginess in the treble, some call it a glare. Leaving it on 24/7 and using balanced connections throughout make it a stand out amp. I sold my Liquid Carbon, and it beats the rest of my amps even Zana Deux for clarity, lack of mush/warmth, and great dynamics.

WOW, I finally figured out how to quote. YAY...

:smile_phones:

That said I agree with this quote...

May 1, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #4,474 of 6,472
Regretfully I returned my Jot. Just didn't do enough with the HE1000 v2 for me. Didn't sound terrible by any means, but didn't bring out the best in the headphones that other amps did. I much preferred the sound of the Wells Audio Milo, Woo WA22 and WA6 SE, Moon 230HAD and iFi iCan Pro. Those are all a much higher price points (between $1,100-$2k) so i'm not surprised. Also, as many have stated time and time again the Jot put up a good fight against these other amps and remains in my mind great price to performance. It did sound wonderful with my easy to drive Sony Z1R. The Jot sounded better (more open sound stage, better control, more resolving) from the balanced out out than SE which is no surprise. At this price point I can see some people being fine with the Jot/HE1000 combo but it wasn't enough for me. Put simply, the higher priced options were able to make the HE1000 v2 sound extremely special and eek out every little bit of quality that I expect from end game headphones, whereas out of the Jot they only sounded pretty good and lacked that extra bit of something almost inexplicable that i'm looking for in TOTL headphones. I'll add this is all IMO and YMMV. This is not meant to put down the Jot as it is a tough competitor against some of the big boys. Just wanted to share my experience for others who may be looking for an amp that brings out the absolute best in the HE1000 v2.

May 2, 2017 at 6:55 PM Post #4,475 of 6,472
Hi again! Still love my Jotty and I use it much everywhere in the house :dt880smile:

Now, let's say I play a file in FLAC 24/96 in Foobar2000, how can I be sure that it's been sent in this very format to the Jotty ? Because there's no light or indicator about this.

May 2, 2017 at 9:03 PM Post #4,476 of 6,472
Hi again! Still love my Jotty and I use it much everywhere in the house :dt880smile:

Now, let's say I play a file in FLAC 24/96 in Foobar2000, how can I be sure that it's been sent in this very format to the Jotty ? Because there's no light or indicator about this.

Use ASIO as it always sends bit-perfect to your DAC

May 2, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #4,478 of 6,472
Thank you. I was using the WASAPI output.

WASAPI works perfect too as it also bypasses Windows Mixer and sends the exact bit and sample rate to your Jot. As long as you can't control the volume in the sound properties, you're set to get bit-perfect

May 2, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #4,479 of 6,472
Just got a used unit, got tired of waiting for a new one.

Wondering if anyone had the usb noise issue with the Jot w DAC? The whine is not always there, it comes out very occasionally.

Last edited:
May 2, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #4,480 of 6,472
Just got a used unit, got tired of waiting for a new one.

Wondering if anyone had the usb noise issue with the Jot w DAC? The whine is not always there, it comes out very occasionally.

Put away your LTE/3G/4G phone away due to RF interference. If you're using WiFi, switch to the 5GHz band as it causes less interference than the 2.4 GHz band

May 3, 2017 at 2:15 AM Post #4,481 of 6,472
Put away your LTE/3G/4G phone away due to RF interference. If you're using WiFi, switch to the 5GHz band as it causes less interference than the 2.4 GHz band
Ah silly of me not to think of it. Because I currently have my Jot under the table on top of a little shelf and I have my phones (multiple) on my table 10cm directly above the Jot.

UPDATE: Doesn't help, unfortunately the whine still comes out once or twice every hour.

The whining is electrical that comes out from my audio output. It is not always there but when it is, I can hear it. I notice it about once or twice every hour? Not entirely sure. This issue is also present using the onboard soundcard 3.5mm out to speakers/headphones.

Have tried different USB ports, same result.

Last edited:
May 3, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #4,482 of 6,472
Ah silly of me not to think of it. Because I currently have my Jot under the table on top of a little shelf and I have my phones (multiple) on my table 10cm directly above the Jot.

UPDATE: Doesn't help, unfortunately the whine still comes out once or twice every hour.

The whining is electrical that comes out from my audio output. It is not always there but when it is, I can hear it. I notice it about once or twice every hour? Not entirely sure. This issue is also present using the onboard soundcard 3.5mm out to speakers/headphones.

Have tried different USB ports, same result.

If it is audible from your 3.5 mm port, then it may not be an USB issue, right? Seems like, its originating in how your computer processes your music into digital signal. Sometimes, when my computer is multitasking with high cpu usage, I have seen occasional drop in audio quality, with breaks and noises. Could it be that?

May 3, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #4,483 of 6,472
If it is audible from your 3.5 mm port, then it may not be an USB issue, right? Seems like, its originating in how your computer processes your music into digital signal. Sometimes, when my computer is multitasking with high cpu usage, I have seen occasional drop in audio quality, with breaks and noises. Could it be that?

If that's the OP's case, OP can get something like a sonore microrendu to fix the issue

May 4, 2017 at 6:41 AM Post #4,484 of 6,472
Man that's like getting a flat tire and instead of fixing your flat, you buy a new car.

May 4, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #4,485 of 6,472
Good analogy. That said, in addition to removing the PC sound quality issues, a network player can simplify things as well making it useful for the tech-fearing users in your household.

I got a Pioneer Elite N-50 for $339...it's easy to use with the Remote or the ControlApp, has multiple digital in and out, and also analog out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back