Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Mar 11, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #4,096 of 6,473
So, is it just my computer or is there something wrong with the Jotunheim drivers? If my PC is powered and I connect the Jotunheim, I get no sound. Just random spikes of noise. Seems like the Jotunheim needs to be connected via USB before powering on the PC. Also, putting the computer to sleep causes the same problem.

Solutions?

Mar 11, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #4,097 of 6,473
Sounds like maybe your usb ports are going to sleep. You may want to look at your power options and disable the usb power control.
So, is it just my computer or is there something wrong with the Jotunheim drivers? If my PC is powered and I connect the Jotunheim, I get no sound. Just random spikes of noise. Seems like the Jotunheim needs to be connected via USB before powering on the PC. Also, putting the computer to sleep causes the same problem.

Solutions?

Mar 11, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #4,099 of 6,473
Sounds like maybe your usb ports are going to sleep. You may want to look at your power options and disable the usb power control.

What if your Windows doesn't have that option and allows only for 1 power plan.

At least I don't have USB disconnection issues though.

Mar 12, 2017 at 6:32 AM Post #4,101 of 6,473
It's the page before this i believe, you can set it to high performance but unfortunately default is still sleep enabled.

What if your Windows doesn't have that option and allows only for 1 power plan.

At least I don't have USB disconnection issues though.

Fruit rots. Mac-in-trash

Mar 12, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #4,102 of 6,473
Hi, been lurking the forums here for quite some time now. This forum has incredible value of information! Finally made an account here in order to try to resolve a question me and my friend has. My friend got Jot+HD600 at the moment, and time has come for him he feels like he wants to invest in a pair of higher end headphones (say $700-1000ish).

So, considering HD650 has been praised for its great synergy with Jotunheim with its darker and "veiled" sound and Jotunheims forwardness etc. Are there any recommendations for higher end headphones out there that just goes extremely well together with Jotunheim like that off HD650? What would be a logical step up from HD650 if you like the HD650? My understanding is that I ought to be looking at the more "laid back", or darker if you will, sounding headphones. We don't live in the States so used headphones are a little harder to come by, but any tips for headphones that would fall down in that price range used are welcome. Right now I have my eyes on LCD2, having heard great things about them, but afaik their latest versions differ from the older ones - would the new ones be good for Jot?

Thanks in advance!

Mar 12, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #4,103 of 6,473
  Hi, been lurking the forums here for quite some time now. This forum has incredible value of information! Finally made an account here in order to try to resolve a question me and my friend has. My friend got Jot+HD600 at the moment, and time has come for him he feels like he wants to invest in a pair of higher end headphones (say $700-1000ish).

So, considering HD650 has been praised for its great synergy with Jotunheim with its darker and "veiled" sound and Jotunheims forwardness etc. Are there any recommendations for higher end headphones out there that just goes extremely well together with Jotunheim like that off HD650? What would be a logical step up from HD650 if you like the HD650? My understanding is that I ought to be looking at the more "laid back", or darker if you will, sounding headphones. We don't live in the States so used headphones are a little harder to come by, but any tips for headphones that would fall down in that price range used are welcome. Right now I have my eyes on LCD2, having heard great things about them, but afaik their latest versions differ from the older ones - would the new ones be good for Jot?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to HF! There are some good headphones in that price range. Some of my favorites would be:

MrSpeakers Aeon

Audioquest Nighthawk

Hifiman Edition X (used for your budget). 

Best of luck...

Matt

Mar 12, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #4,104 of 6,473

Thanks in advance!

The LDC 2 would be good choice.  I love them with my Jot...

beerchug.gif

Mar 12, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #4,105 of 6,473

Welcome to HF! There are some good headphones in that price range. Some of my favorites would be:

MrSpeakers Aeon

Audioquest Nighthawk

Hifiman Edition X (used for your budget). 

Best of luck...

Matt

I second the Audioquest Nighthawks...

Mar 12, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #4,106 of 6,473
  My understanding is that I ought to be looking at the more "laid back", or darker if you will, sounding headphones. 

I disagree that the Jot only goes with darker-sounding headphones. I use mine happily with MrSpeakers headphones, first Alpha Primes, and now Ether C Flows, which are tuned to be pretty neutral. I listen to mostly modern jazz, world, baroque, modern classical, it might be different for pop or electronic. If the Aeon's tuning is anywhere close to that of the C Flows, it would for me be a very good Jot pairing candidate. That's why I have a pair on order :) 

Mar 12, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #4,108 of 6,473
  I disagree that the Jot only goes with darker-sounding headphones. I use mine happily with MrSpeakers headphones, first Alpha Primes, and now Ether C Flows, which are tuned to be pretty neutral. I listen to mostly modern jazz, world, baroque, modern classical, it might be different for pop or electronic. If the Aeon's tuning is anywhere close to that of the C Flows, it would for me be a very good Jot pairing candidate. That's why I have a pair on order :) 

I agree - I use the Jot with a variety of headphones - some bright, and the sound is always excellent.  Even some of my ‘phones that are a little rolled off upper frequency-wise, don’t suddenly sound bright with the Jot.  Also, I don’t think of the Jot as sounding forward, I’ve always thought of it as more of a “refined” sound...

If headphones sound bright with the Jotunheim, it’s not the Jot’s fault!  A lot of people try HD 800’s with it, and I’m not surprised to hear that they think the sound is too bright...  I’ve heard the 800’s on Sennheiser’s amplifier, and I thought that sound was too bright!

Mar 12, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #4,109 of 6,473

Perhaps, didn't bother trying. Clearly it should pick up immediately when the power is turned on again or the cable is reattached. This is not the case. Windows recognizes the output device being connected but doesn't start playing.

Mar 12, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #4,110 of 6,473
Thanks everyone for the replies! Very interesting headphones you gave advice on! The reason I am perhaps a tad hesitant on neutral-bright headphones is because listening to my friends HD600 with Mimby+JOT (XLR), the details and impact of instruments are incredible. However, I can definitely see why some prefer HD650 since they soothe the highs a little bit, allowing perhaps for higher volumes for longer periods of time... And I really enjoy HIGH volume, and whilst I wouldn't describe HD600 being fatiguing, the clarity of these makes me want something just a little, little more darker/soothed treble on higher volume. 

I can of course see many enjoying Jot with headphones that aren't "dark". Factors like how sensitive we are to certain frequencies and what kind of music we listen to are very important. In me and my friends case, distorted guitars and crashing cymbals are part of our daily musical food.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back