Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Jan 9, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #3,376 of 6,473
The EF-6 is a joke of an amp.

The volume control is terrible with lots of cracking noise between steps (on mine, at least) and way too much gain/hiss for normal headphones.

I could hear the hiss with the LCD-X ...

Well yeah, it's made to pair with the HE6, not the efficient LCDX

I left the idea of lcd x now. This amp sounds superb with my alpha dogs. Dont need lcd x and Jot now.

Jan 10, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #3,377 of 6,473
Enjoy your new amp dinesh :) That's what this hobby is all about!

I have the Jot and demoed with the mojo. To me, they benefit from each other. I'd give the edge to Jot as an amp, actually it's a MUCH better amp than the mojo, and probably give the edge to the mojo as a DAC only. The best was using the mojo as a DAC into the Jot as an amp. It sounded a bit fuller, more refined and a bit less shouty, with my phones. Hope that helps!

Jan 10, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #3,378 of 6,473

I have the Jot and demoed with the mojo. To me, they benefit from each other. I'd give the edge to Jot as an amp, actually it's a MUCH better amp than the mojo, and probably give the edge to the mojo as a DAC only. The best was using the mojo as a DAC into the Jot as an amp. It sounded a bit fuller, more refined and a bit less shouty, with my phones. Hope that helps!

What headphones were you driving in these comparisons? 

Jan 10, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #3,379 of 6,473
I was primarily driving HiFiMan's HE-560s and Sony's MA900s. With the Mojo as a DAC, both were less dry in the mids and the vocals sounded less raspy/sandy. The Jot brought the vocals of the HE-560 forward, which I liked, but made them too dry and raspy. Occasionally, the starts would align and it would sound amazing, but most of the time it sounded dry and a bit shouty on the Jot alone. If you have the HE-560 or some other midrange dry or analytical headphones, you might just get the Jot as an amp only and invest in a better DAC (maybe something R2R based). Just my two cents.

Edit: Of course, I can also see how some might enjoy Jot's own DAC and never feel the need to go beyond. It is an amazing DAC for the price. It is all about synergy and how you pair your gear, so if it sounds right to you, that's all the proof you need.

Jan 10, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #3,380 of 6,473
Sorry to double post, I have to elaborate a bit more. Would I rate the Mojo as a DAC at $500 more than the Jot DAC module? Certainly not. If you don't need Mojo's mobility, it's probably better to skip both the internal DAC and Mojo and just invest in a Mimby at $150 more than Jot's DAC module. Leave both the Jot and Mimby on all the time, they really sound much better after going for a while, and use coaxial to connect the Mimby, it's head and shoulders better (you really should avoid USB). If using a newer desktop PC, you can just go directly from your mobo's optical out to the Mimby and avoid paying for all the USB de-crapifiers and converters.

It is really an amazing value, the Mimby for $250, the Jot for $399, a coax cable and you are set. No need to read forums in the next few years, just enjoy your music. Cheers!

Jan 10, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #3,381 of 6,473

Thank you Boban for the advice. I am looking at the jot to improve my current mojo only setup. If the mojo/jot synergy is good then maybe I can save a little of money and buy the amp only version. 

Jan 10, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #3,382 of 6,473
Yes, I thought you might already have the Mojo :) Honestly, if I had the Mojo already, I would not buy Jot's DAC module. I would just get the amp at $399. Then who knows, maybe in the future a better DAC module will be released by Schiit and you can think about adding that one. Or you might go into vinyl and get the phono, your options are open...

I would also add one caveat: you'd have to be fine with using the Mojo as a desktop DAC, functionality wise (charging and etc).

Thank you Boban for the advice. I am looking at the jot to improve my current mojo only setup. If the mojo/jot synergy is good then maybe I can save a little of money and buy the amp only version. 

Jan 10, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #3,383 of 6,473
I wish I had gotten the phono instead of the naked version.

Jan 10, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #3,384 of 6,473
Jan 10, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #3,385 of 6,473
Or if you've got an allen wrench and half a brain they'll ship you the add-in card for $100+ship

Jan 10, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #3,387 of 6,473
I would totally be down for $100, I have a Mani but I could simplify my setup for when not using MJ2 which is most of the time.

Jan 11, 2017 at 4:55 AM Post #3,389 of 6,473
I have been listening to my Jot+DAC for months driving HD650 over balanced cables.
Yesterday, one of my evil colleague brought his Mimby to work and it was a big step up from the DAC module. 
The Mimby + Jot combo is very smooth compared to the DAC module. One probably won't notice without comparison, but Mimby seems to provide a lot more dynamic and much more details without sounding as bright.

The most significant improvement is vocal and cello, both seemed to be recessed when using the internal DAC, but has much more weight and presence with Mimby. The lower end of the spectrum is also a great improvement. Bernstein's thud on the platform is easily heard in Mahler's 5th symphony, mov 2.

Now I need to figure out where to buy a Mimby :)

Jan 11, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #3,390 of 6,473

They might do if you e-mail and ask them, but the option is not available on the site for the phono; only for the DAC module.

http://schiit.com/products/jotunheim-phono

Edit: just realized you meant self-installed.  Nothing to see here 
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back