Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Jan 7, 2017 at 11:13 AM Post #3,349 of 6,473

The Jot has fully balanced output regardless of the input being SE or balanced.

In trying to decide what equipment and and audio streaming service I want to keep I went to the following website to compare 16bit vs 8 bit performance.

http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_dithering.php

I have a balanced wire for my HD650s and tested it against the SE output on my Jot. I do not think Im getting more than double the output with the balanced, in fact I'd say its the same. I also have the Mimby and questioning if its truly worth the the extra $. Can anyone confirm if a balanced input is required for the balanced power output advertised on Schiits site:

Balanced Headphone Output:
Maximum Power, 16 ohms: 7500mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 5000mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 3000mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 900mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 500mW RMS per channel
Single-Ended Headphone Output:
Maximum Power, 16 ohms: 2500mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 1500mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 800mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 350mW RMS per channel

Jan 7, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #3,350 of 6,473

In trying to decide what equipment and and audio streaming service I want to keep I went to the following website to compare 16bit vs 8 bit performance.

I have a balanced wire for my HD650s and tested it against the SE output on my Jot. I do not think Im getting more than double the output with the balanced, in fact I'd say its the same. I also have the Mimby and questioning if its truly worth the the extra $. Can anyone confirm if a balanced input is required for the balanced power output advertised on Schiits site:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but output power is not equal to volume, gain is more related.
Both output stages don't have to be necessarily on the same gain level.

You may be getting more headroom through balance, but not twice the volume. 

Jan 7, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #3,351 of 6,473
Those nuimbers are probably only relevant at full volume.

Jan 7, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #3,352 of 6,473
  Those nuimbers are probably only relevant at full volume.

I was playing a 100% maximum volume, dont start there, the test files start at a normal scale volume and slowly get quieter. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but output power is not equal to volume, gain is more related.
Both output stages don't have to be necessarily on the same gain level.

You may be getting more headroom through balance, but not twice the volume. 

Im not sure on that, but I couldnt tell the difference between the two connections at all

Jan 7, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #3,353 of 6,473

No, a balanced input is not needed.  

Regardless of input the output via balanced connector is as listed above...

Jan 7, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #3,354 of 6,473
  No, a balanced input is not needed.  

Regardless of input the output via balanced connector is as listed above...

Im a novice here but I dont understand how that could be possible given the extremely simply test I completed. Same source, dac, amp, and cables between them; the only variable was the connection between my HD650s and the amp. If the 550mW extra, per channel, are indeed there I am not hearing it. Any suggestion on where or how I could hear the difference? 

Jan 7, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #3,355 of 6,473
Im a novice here but I dont understand how that could be possible given the extremely simply test I completed. Same source, dac, amp, and cables between them; the only variable was the connection between my HD650s and the amp. If the 550mW extra, per channel, are indeed there I am not hearing it. Any suggestion on where or how I could hear the difference? 

The volume difference between balanced and single ended is easily noticeable to me and many other people in this thread. I wouldn't say it is double but more like 20-30% more volume. There are other advantages as well such as channel separation and slew rate, better dynamics from the increase in power/headroom. The list of advantages of balanced over single ended goes on.

Are you swapping the whole cable on your 650s or using a balanced>SE adapter?

Your brain can easily forget how loud it was during the time it takes to swap a cable.

If you can't hear the difference then that is fine, but there is a difference.

Jan 7, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #3,356 of 6,473
The volume difference between balanced and single ended is easily noticeable to me and many other people in this thread. I wouldn't say it is double but more like 20-30% more volume. There are other advantages as well such as channel separation and slew rate, better dynamics from the increase in power/headroom. The list of advantages of balanced over single ended goes on.

Are you swapping the whole cable on your 650s or using a balanced>SE adapter?

Your brain can easily forget how loud it was during the time it takes to swap a cable.

If you can't hear the difference then that is fine, but there is a difference.

Im swapping the whole cable and the test available in the link I provided makes it very easy to compare the volume levels. Has anyone here tested the Jot balanced vs SE output with your own ears to repudiate or substantiate these claims? 

Edit-
Just to be clear, Im not making any generalizations about SE vs balanced. I am specifically referring to an unbalanced input on the Jot and comparing a balanced vs SE output. 

Jan 7, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #3,357 of 6,473

Sorry, I'm confused...what does dithering have to do with the Jotunheim?

Jan 7, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #3,359 of 6,473
Try playing music at your normal volume on SE. Note the volume by using a piece of tape. Now listen to the same song at the normal volume on balancedband see if the knob is in a different position than SE (the tape).

Jan 7, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #3,360 of 6,473
  absolutely nothing, but that doesn't negate the question or the validity of the test

You'll probably get more interest in the topic by posting it in Sound Science, as opposed to plopping it into a Jotunheim-specific thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back