Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Jan 7, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #3,361 of 6,473
Double volume requires 10X the power.  

The difference between the balanced and SE is far smaller than that.   

The difference in SPL would be about 10% to 20% depending on the efficiency of the headphones between the 2 outputs on the Jot.

Jan 7, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #3,362 of 6,473
Try playing music at your normal volume on SE. Note the volume by using a piece of tape. Now listen to the same song at the normal volume on balancedband see if the knob is in a different position than SE (the tape).

Thanks, this was a good idea. Instead of finding my preferred volume for each I just picked a higher yet comfortable volume with the SE and switched to the balanced. I could tell a difference going this route, just focusing on SPL, I went back and forth between the two wires 15 times. The balanced wire did sound louder. This test and the test I linked too seem to be at odds with each other, maybe I'm getting hit with a placebo either way, I'm befuddled 

Jan 7, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #3,363 of 6,473
I have made my own 4pin xlr female to trs male adapter for my headphones, as I converted my 650 cable to balanced 4 pin. Using this method takes about 2 seconds to switch from balanced to SE and the differences are very obvious with this fast of a switch.

uQchJRG.jpg

Jan 7, 2017 at 7:16 PM Post #3,365 of 6,473
I have made my own 4pin xlr female to trs male adapter for my headphones, as I converted my 650 cable to balanced 4 pin. Using this method takes about 2 seconds to switch from balanced to SE and the differences are very obvious with this fast of a switch.

Hah, yes, I balanced cable and a converter tail turns out to be so much easier, doesn't it? It also means you don't need a zillion different cables for your various headphones, just one good one per pair. 

(..and yes, if you have the 650 and the Jot, you'd be mad not to go balanced, all that extra power and slew rate really slaps the drivers into line.)

Jan 8, 2017 at 8:29 AM Post #3,367 of 6,473
  Got the reply from schiit.... ****! no stock for me! So disappointed and frustrated for the long waiting. I am asking to have my money back first, maybe I will change my mind to buying a chord mojo.... feel so sorry.....
frown.gif

Trust me, it's worth the wait. I usually don't comment much on these forums, but the Jot is the real deal.

Jan 8, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #3,368 of 6,473
  Got the reply from schiit.... ****! no stock for me! So disappointed and frustrated for the long waiting. I am asking to have my money back first, maybe I will change my mind to buying a chord mojo.... feel so sorry.....
frown.gif

Oh dear, my condolences!

Jan 8, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #3,369 of 6,473
Trust me, it's worth the wait. I usually don't comment much on these forums, but the Jot is the real deal.

+1.

I don't have a Jot but if this is the one that best fits your needs, wait for it. You will enjoy it for years (unless you start upgrading for minimal reasons like many of us around here).

Or look for a used one (see previous sentence in parens).

Jan 8, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #3,370 of 6,473
Haven't tried a Jot yet but did try the whole LCD line, X is okay but not worth the premium over the 2 IMO unless you are using lower powered gear or just don't want to deal with DACs and amps then its a great headphone in that situation.  Like @CarlosUnchained
 noted I think the Jot is overkill for the X unless you have other less efficient headphones that you will be using with the Jot.

I have a Bimby and Ember, great combo

Irrelevant to this thread but got this deal today and I could not find anything better am sure.

Jan 9, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #3,374 of 6,473
Well yeah, it's made to pair with the HE6, not the efficient LCDX

Users who are viewing this thread

Back