Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Dec 30, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #3,196 of 6,471
  If we are going to ignore prices and features, then anything goes. Let me me try... the MOON Neo 430HA and Chord Dave kick the A20H, NFB-28, and Compass 2's collective butts. How's that for a comparison?

Yeah, but the DAVE's amp section is a bit of a gutless creature, especially with playnarz, if we're honest. It's an OK DAC, but benefits from a proper amp. Price is not the only yardstick.

Dec 30, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #3,197 of 6,471
My purpose for buying the Jotunheim AMPLIFIER was because I was looking to upgrade my Magni2U with a beefier and better sounding amp. Also I was interested in going the balanced route.

Although the Jot does have a couple of optional features I had no practical purpose for the phono option and I already own 3 Schiit DACs (2 of which are Multibit) so I had no need or desire for another DAC. Besides the Jotunheim and Bifrost MB pairing looks pretty damn good together (better than Magni/Bifrost pairing).

Dec 30, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #3,198 of 6,471
Probably gets asked a lot, but I wanna know: Do I need a Jotunheim when my headphones support no balanced input and are also relatively easy to drive (sub-50 Ohms)? Would I get a significant sound increase over a Schiit Magni 2 bundled with a Fiio E10K line-out as DAC?

Dec 30, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #3,199 of 6,471
Probably gets asked a lot, but I wanna know: Do I need a Jotunheim when my headphones support no balanced input and are also relatively easy to drive (sub-50 Ohms)? Would I get a significant sound increase over a Schiit Magni 2 bundled with a Fiio E10K line-out as DAC?

Clinch your cheeks and get ready for an experience (depending on your headphones). The Jot is a great upgrade, however I'd get the internal DAC or preferrably Mimby over the Fiio. Don't get me wrong, I like Fiio however this setup is like comparing Big League Chew to Wrigley's pink.

Dec 31, 2016 at 5:17 AM Post #3,200 of 6,471
Hey guys,

I was wondering how the DAC add-on on the jodie compares to the modi2 uber. I have a modi2 uber and want to get the jodie unupgraded and then get a mimby later on. Would the modi2 uber suffice until I get a mimby? Or should I get the optional DAC?

Dec 31, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #3,202 of 6,471
  Hey guys,

I was wondering how the DAC add-on on the jodie compares to the modi2 uber. I have a modi2 uber and want to get the jodie unupgraded and then get a mimby later on. Would the modi2 uber suffice until I get a mimby? Or should I get the optional DAC?

You won't find the internal much of an upgrade. Save your money until you can grab a Mimby.

Dec 31, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #3,203 of 6,471
Im still wondering at the empty space inside my vanilla jotunheim since i dun need phono & extra dac.

What can be stick into it? Maybe a dac with optical in? Sticking a CCA will be fun.

Dec 31, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #3,204 of 6,471
Im still wondering at the empty space inside my vanilla jotunheim since i dun need phono & extra dac.

What can be stick into it? Maybe a dac with optical in? Sticking a CCA will be fun.

I could use an extra SE analog input...

Dec 31, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #3,205 of 6,471
  Hey guys,

The Jot 2 is balanced, the Modi 2 Uber isn't.

The Modi 2 Uber has more inputs.

If you need the extra inputs, use the Modi 2 Uber.  If you want to move towards an all-balanced system (and if you don't, why get the Jot?), use the Jot DAC.

Dec 31, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #3,206 of 6,471

The Jot 2 is balanced, the Modi 2 Uber isn't.

The Modi 2 Uber has more inputs.

If you need the extra inputs, use the Modi 2 Uber.  If you want to move towards an all-balanced system (and if you don't, why get the Jot?), use the Jot DAC.

All input signals into the Jot whether SE or balanced are balanced at output to the balanced jack on the Jot.

Dec 31, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #3,207 of 6,471
  All input signals into the Jot whether SE or balanced are balanced at output to the balanced jack on the Jot.

Sure.

But that's not as good as balanced from the inside the DAC itself, which the Jotunheim, Gungnir, and Yggy can do.

Dec 31, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #3,208 of 6,471
The general consensus is Mimby SE is far beyond the balanced capabilities of the internal DAC though

Dec 31, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #3,209 of 6,471
The general consensus is Mimby SE is far beyond the balanced capabilities of the internal DAC though

The general consensus is not data.  It is a collection of subjective listening opinions generated underly poorly controlled conditions.  FotM products are a perfect example of that.

Objectively, balanced DACs offer advantage to SE DACs.  This requires no reliance on listening.

Dec 31, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #3,210 of 6,471

The general consensus is not data.  It is a collection of subjective listening opinions generated underly poorly controlled conditions.  FotM products are a perfect example of that.

However, the readily available, painstaking and expensively-produced measurements of both the Jotunheim and Mimby are. The difference between SE and balanced in is marginal on the Jotunheim, unless you love several meters of cable run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back