Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Dec 29, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #3,181 of 6,469
I am really impressed with the specs and reviews of this product. I read all the messages in this discussion last weekend and got very excited. Now I'm waiting for the European supplier to get their hands on new stock so I can order one. Currently I don't have any DACs or amps so I'm intrigued to find out how much of a difference this makes.

Dec 29, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #3,182 of 6,469
I am really impressed with the specs and reviews of this product. I read all the messages in this discussion last weekend and got very excited. Now I'm waiting for the European supplier to get their hands on new stock so I can order one. Currently I don't have any DACs or amps so I'm intrigued to find out how much of a difference this makes.

You and I are in a similar boat in that we both read this whole thread and don't own a dac or amp yet.

Dec 29, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #3,183 of 6,469

Going from no dedicated DAC and amp, to a Jot and possibly a Mimby is quite an upgrade, assuming your headphones are of reasonable quality. You'll end up doing the cliched "rediscovering my favourite music" thing, beware!

Dec 29, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #3,185 of 6,469
I dislike Schiit's claim that the Jot DAC/amp combo being "the world's first sane DAC/amp". The internal DAC is clearly lacking behind those of the rivals. And upgrading the DAC is only possible by sending back. Meaning most of us not living in the States are stucked with an inferior DAC. It's the opposite of sane. I truly find this statement irresponsible and misleading.

Dec 29, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #3,186 of 6,469
I dislike Schiit's claim that the Jot DAC/amp combo being "the world's first sane DAC/amp". The internal DAC is clearly lacking behind those of the rivals. And upgrading the DAC is only possible by sending back. Meaning most of us not living in the States are stucked with an inferior DAC. It's the opposite of sane. I truly find this statement irresponsible and misleading.

Dec 29, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #3,187 of 6,469

What ever happened to your sense of humor?

Dec 29, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #3,188 of 6,469

That is one opinion. I find it to be quite up to scratch. 

Dec 29, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #3,189 of 6,469

Which rival fully balanced DAC/amp is clearly ahead of the Jot @$499.00 exactly?  And what is inferior about a balanced dual AK4490 chip DAC for a $100.00?

confused.gif

Dec 30, 2016 at 2:30 AM Post #3,192 of 6,469

I can't tell if you are being cranky, or you're missing the point of the Jot. I'll assume the latter.

It's a headphone amp. According to many, a quite remarkable product for $399 US. 

IF someone ALSO wants the convenience of an internal DAC, making it a simple piece of gear to move around or use at the office,
   or wants/needs an inexpensive DAC as a starter,
then for an additional $100 US it can arrive with the optional balanced DAC.

Is that the world's best DAC? Surely not. Is that the world's best DAC available for $100? Well that it (arguably) might be. If you think that DAC (and its implementation) is "inferior," then don't buy that optional module. 

Upgrading the Jot's DAC to be world-class does not require you to ship the Jot back to the manufacturer in the USA. Simply buy whatever standalone DAC you think is "superior", and plug it in to the inputs on the back of the Jot, either balanced or SE. Bingo, you're upgraded. 

So if someone likes the amp part of the Jot, he/she should buy it. 

And if s/he also wants a pretty decent low priced DAC to go with it, or a pretty decent low-priced phono stage, then buy one of those options. Or don't. 

Bottom line: it's Schiit. It's not for everybody. (But most people who want it, can afford it. That's the magic dust sprinkled on by Mike & Jason & their crew.) 

Dec 30, 2016 at 2:42 AM Post #3,193 of 6,469
The DAC makes an easily audible difference no matter what.  The headphone amp becomes important once you upgrade from cheap IEMs to more power-hungry full-size headphones.  I agree with Schiit's approach to keep them separate, or at least keep them modular in the Jotenheim.

Dec 30, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #3,194 of 6,469

While we're randomly accusing people of being misleading, we can also dislike claims like "upgrading the DAC is only possible by sending back"(sic):

http://schiit.com/products/jotunheim-dac

If you’re an experienced electronics technician or engineer who is familiar with ESD precautions, or work with a good tech, you can choose to have the Jotunheim DAC board sent to you directly, fully tested and protected in an antistatic bag. 

Please note that by selecting this option, you are saying, "Yes, I am, or know, a competent electronics technician who does not need hand-holding for this installation, and I will not allow an inexperienced person to perform the upgrade, since I understand there are no user-serviceable parts inside."

HTH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back