Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Dec 22, 2016 at 9:57 PM Post #3,136 of 6,471
Very plenty of bass with LCD-3, and I have had Lyr. I think there is more here.

Dec 23, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #3,137 of 6,471

Thing is, when it comes to how much bass you have (or other aspects of sound) you are going to have a much bigger impact on this in your choice of headphones, than in your amp.

100% true.

For some reason that I don't understand, people seem to forget that transducers are the biggest variable in the audio chain (both front and back, ie. microphones to headphones / speakers).

Dec 23, 2016 at 12:19 AM Post #3,138 of 6,471
Just asking because my previous amp had a little more than the jot, and i may have gotten used to it because i find the jot lacking on the low end in oomph and a little strident in the highs. This is with a mad dog pro, zmf vibro mk2 and hd650, all of which are considered dark.

Dec 23, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #3,139 of 6,471
  Just asking because my previous amp had a little more than the jot, and i may have gotten used to it 

This may not be because of more or less bass, but differences in damping factor.

Higher damping factor leads to more driver control (faster stops and starts), which can lead to "tighter" bass which some might perceive as "less".  When in reality lower damping factor can just be more driver overhang.

Dec 24, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #3,142 of 6,471
Love my Jot w/Dac.  I needed a small desktop solution at work to power by Ether C headphones.  Didn't have a lot of space, so the Jot fit the bill.  The sound is terrific in such a small footprint.

Dec 24, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #3,143 of 6,471
I've been looking around but haven't found the answer so I thought I'd ask: If you are running powered monitors out of the pre outs, and you plug in headphones, will it mute the monitors?

Dec 24, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #3,144 of 6,471
I've been looking around but haven't found the answer so I thought I'd ask: If you are running powered monitors out of the pre outs, and you plug in headphones, will it mute the monitors?

The preouts are not muted when plugging in headphones.

Dec 24, 2016 at 4:07 AM Post #3,147 of 6,471
Does anyone know if there are any downsides to using both the balanced and single ended preamp outs on the Jotunheim at the same time?

Dec 24, 2016 at 4:16 AM Post #3,148 of 6,471
  TY, it was almost perfect :/

Unfortunately you won't find any balanced amp that does this.  

It's not a Schiit limitation.

Just about every audio manufacturer out there relies on off the shelf parts for their connectors, and while there are TRS connectors with internal mute switches, there are no 4 pin XLR connectors with this type of switch.

Schiit simply can't order the parts necessary for this behavior, because they don't exist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back