Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Nov 25, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #2,642 of 6,472
Is it going to be a good amp for my hd700 ☺️

I like it with mine...
beerchug.gif

Nov 25, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #2,644 of 6,472
I notice you have lyr witch one is better ?

As with many things in this hobby like like them for different reasons one is not better than the other.

You can alter the sound signature with various tubes with the Lyr.  The Jot is balanced.  Both are good matches for the HD700's.

Of course IMHO, YMMV, yada yada yada...

Nov 25, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #2,645 of 6,472
  Has anyone used the Jotunheim as a pre amp between a higher end DAC and amp for passive speakers?  I just picked up a pair of LCD-2 from the B-Stock sale, so it's time to grab and amp for them.  I've got a Lampizator Euforia DAC feeding a Don Garber Fi-X 2A3 amp feeding my speakers.  The Fi-X is an "integrated" as it has a passive volume control to it, and using that sounds amazing.  

So what I was thinking was getting the Jotunheim w/ Phono (for later use) and sticking it inbetween the Lampi and the Fi-X and using it as a pre-amp instead of the control on the Fi-X.  Do you think that this would degrade the sound any for the Fi-X, since it's not first and foremost a preamp?  I don't really have the room or budget right now to buy a full fledged real pre-amp or much more expensive headphone amp.

I'm in a similar spot, having picked up some LCD-2s from the B-Stock sale. I just placed an order for the Jotunheim with DAC. I don't know about using it as a pre-amp, but this is going to be my entire rig. It's replacing some 600ohm DT880s with a Fiio E12.

Nov 25, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #2,646 of 6,472

I think the USB controller is powered by the USB port. The DAC chip and analog section is powered by the internal power supply. I'm almost sure I read Jason say this in one of the posts here or in another forum I read.
The same for the phono preamp, it wouldn't provide the necessary gain without any power provided to it.

I think this is the case.

I tried wyrd at local store with my own Jotunheim /w DAC for 2 hours.I can't tell the difference.
But also tried DragonFly Red. DFR gets a lot improvement from wyrd.

I tried these with Surface pro 3 which has poor usb power (can't power a DVD writer) and balanced MDR-Z7.

I am using Jotunheim balanced line preamp out as XLR phoneout.
But local store staff told me preamp out is not as good as phoneout in the front.

Is this true? Aren’t they just parallel? 

Nov 25, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #2,647 of 6,472
It had been a while since I used my Ember since I had gotten the Jot, and I was again reminded why I so really like a tubey option with some music, the 6dj8 is one of my favorites.

Nov 26, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #2,648 of 6,472
  It had been a while since I used my Ember since I had gotten the Jot, and I was again reminded why I so really like a tubey option with some music, the 6dj8 is one of my favorites.

i'd love to hear your brief non scientific comparison between the two. i have a jot and love it for it's resolving nature, but i'd like a little more oomph and sound stage. always wanted an ember, but got jot last minute. 

Nov 26, 2016 at 12:56 AM Post #2,649 of 6,472
  i'd love to hear your brief non scientific comparison between the two. i have a jot and love it for it's resolving nature, but i'd like a little more oomph and sound stage. always wanted an ember, but got jot last minute. 

The Ember has a way of taking the edge off and making things smoother, so music that's too sharp on the Jot can benefit the most.The soundstage in general is taller and a slight bit more narrow, by how much depends on which tube is used, same thing for clarity. Bass impact isn't much different, but its clarity is smoother and not as textured; and depending on the music this can be a good thing. I have niche tastes but to give an example, I prefer the entire "MegaZone 23 Vocal Collection" out of the Ember.

Nov 26, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #2,650 of 6,472
The main reason I'd get the Jotunheim would be to preamp my studio monitors.

Is the noise floor between the Modi multibit and Jotunheim low enough to prevent the buzz. I know using balanced outputs from audio interfaces will prevent it.

Nov 26, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #2,651 of 6,472

Is the noise floor between the Modi multibit and Jotunheim low enough to prevent the buzz. I know using balanced outputs from audio interfaces will prevent it.

IMO, I prefer the traditional design preamp like the Schiit Saga rather than sharing the same output stage from the headphone amp like the Jotunheim or any other Schiit headphone amps.

Nov 26, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #2,652 of 6,472

The Jot has shown to be dead silent with the most sensitive IEMs. I'd expect to do great as a preamp for out OutEarMonitors.

Nov 27, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #2,655 of 6,472

I can't be faffed to read back in the thread to find out what this "buzz" is, but I have a Mimby plugged into a Jot, which is plugged into some powered nearfields (old Adam A5), and it sounds completely fine- nice fast amp driving crisp speakers, and no noise issues at any part of the chain. I just plugged IEMs into the Jot to check, and it's still remarkably quiet.

Not sure if that helps answer your question or not :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back