Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Nov 8, 2016 at 7:45 AM Post #2,416 of 6,473
  For you guys that have burned in the Jot 100+ hours, do you still notice the Jot sounds better with warmup time?

I wonder if we can get away with turning it off once it's been burned in... Is the difference when listening from a cold start very noticeable?

Nope, not noticeably. It just sounds like a Jot, either way. It wakes up and works, no muss, no fuss. I got mine in the week that they came out, and have been using it fairly heavily since then, and it's still the same solid, good-value amp, and still sounds great with unmodded balanced HD650.

My Vali 2 (with nice little aftermarket tube) certainly benefits from 15 minutes of warm-up time, but the Jot? A totally movable feast.

Nov 8, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #2,417 of 6,473
Would anyone be able to suggest an upgraded power cord for Jotunheim. My budget is around GBP60/USD75. I am in the UK so things are more expensive over here.
frown.gif
 I think I will try get a discount somewhere at black friday. Thanks everyone.
gs1000.gif

Nov 8, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #2,420 of 6,473
Or install an online mode double conversion UPS.

Nov 8, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #2,421 of 6,473
  Solid state doesn't need warmup like tubes do...

No difference at all, except for the first 15 seconds where I hear nothing. Hahaha

Nope, not noticeably. It just sounds like a Jot, either way. It wakes up and works, no muss, no fuss... My Vali 2 (with nice little aftermarket tube) certainly benefits from 15 minutes of warm-up time, but the Jot? A totally movable feast.

Thanks guys that's good to hear, I think there is probably an imperceptible change as components warm up and stabilize but it must be too small of a change to worry about, and the Jot doesn't seem to get that warm in the first place.

So people are leaving it on 24/7 for the sole benefit of not having to reach behind and turn it on... the EE in me cringes a bit.
It's nice to think of electronics as immortal but unfortunately there are constant deterioration processes at work. Hot Carrier Injection, Electromigration, Oxide Breakdown, and plenty more attack the transistors anytime electrons are flowing... It might only shorten the ultimate lifespan from 20 years to 18 or so but it's still time you could have spent using your $400 amp. I would set up a remote switched power outlet for the Jot if you really don't want to reach behind.

Having said all that I leave the Mimby powered on 24/7 unless I leave for a trip, a bit shorter life is certainly worth it when long warm up times are involved!

Nov 8, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #2,422 of 6,473

So people are leaving it on 24/7 for the sole benefit of not having to reach behind and turn it on... the EE in me cringes a bit.
It's nice to think of electronics as immortal but unfortunately there are constant deterioration processes at work. Hot Carrier Injection, Electromigration, Oxide Breakdown, and plenty more attack the transistors anytime electrons are flowing... It might only shorten the ultimate lifespan from 20 years to 18 or so but it's still time you could have spent using your $400 amp. I would set up a remote switched power outlet for the Jot if you really don't want to reach behind.

Actually, that's exactly what I have. The Jot runs from a power strip fed from a remote controlled socket (thankfully RF not IR). When I hit the button to turn the room off at night, it's one of several things that powers down :)

Nov 8, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #2,424 of 6,473
I just picked up a pair of Focal Elears and am rocking with My Joti.  Hands down one of the best pairings I have ever heard.  This setup with builtin dac was my overall winner for headphone setup at CANJAM this year.  Were there better?  Yeah, probably.  But for far far more money.  I really like the tonal balance of the Focals.  Now, at home with an Yggy DAC and Bryston BDP as a source, it's markedly better.  Highly recommended.

Nov 8, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #2,425 of 6,473
  Strange, on my Jot, the maximum settings I can use (in the Audio Devices section) is 2 channels, 32 bit integer, 48.0 kHz 

Odd, my older MacBook running Sierra allows the correct rates, but my newer MacBook running El Capitan allows 48khz max...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back