Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Nov 6, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #2,386 of 6,473
Uhhhh... no.

If you possess a degree in something, you understand the actual theory, background, and implementation of that subject (at least in this case).

Because something is PHYSICALLY not capable of something in a scientific manner, it therefore negates a lay person and his/her family from claiming that subjective differences exist.

Science dictates that better USB cables = better sounds is much like faith healing = real cure for real diseases.

Are we still beating that horse with a stick? :)

Let's be real people! If your whole family tells you that they can hear the difference between your new expensive USB cables all that means is that they all think that you are nuts and just tell you things they think you want to hear.

I hope the original poster will not take this as an offense. Just reality check...

Nov 6, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #2,387 of 6,473
Are we still beating that horse with a stick?
smily_headphones1.gif

Let's be real people! If your whole family tells you that they can hear the difference between your new expensive USB cables all that means is that they all think that you are nuts and just tell you things they think you want to hear.

I hope the original poster will not take this as an offense. Just reality check...

Yes for nearly 4 pages now...

deadhorse.gif

Nov 6, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #2,388 of 6,473
I would never be so Bold to try to tell someone that they do or they don't hear what they say they hear. I also agree 1 page of this stuff is enough let alone 4 pages.

Nov 6, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #2,389 of 6,473
Are we still beating that horse with a stick?
smily_headphones1.gif

Please remember though, it was you who kicked off that entire discussion (see post 2325), with your, "This is the most ridiculous write up I ever read" line, in the first place.  Which is totally fine!  You expressed yourself–I'm glad you did!  And someone else was just trying to help out another forum member by relaying their experiences, even if you thought they were absolute rubbish, for whatever reasons (however valid/relevant).  Problems only start happening when one individual begins to think that they're more "right" than another.  If we were designing audio equipment here, then yes, adhering to the laws of physics would override everything else.  Experiencing music is another matter though.  You can't measure consciousness (and at this point in time, little is understood about it... though "we" think we know everything).  Yes, for a plane to fly, the science matters, but that doesn't mean that every passenger on that flight is having the same experience.

I don't think you understood that conversation if that was your take away.

Oh okay then.

Nov 6, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #2,392 of 6,473
Please remember though, it was you who kicked off that entire discussion (see post 2325), with your, "This is the most ridiculous write up I ever read" line, in the first place.  Which is totally fine!  You expressed yourself–I'm glad you did!  And someone else was just trying to help out another forum member by relaying their experiences, even if you thought they were absolute rubbish, for whatever reasons (however valid/relevant).  Problems only start happening when one individual begins to think that they're more "right" than another.  If we were designing audio equipment here, then yes, adhering to the laws of physics would override everything else.  Experiencing music is another matter though.  You can't measure consciousness (and at this point in time, little is understood about it... though "we" think we know everything).  Yes, for a plane to fly, the science matters, but that doesn't mean that every passenger on that flight is having the same experience.

Oh okay then.

My fault I guess. My apologies.

I personally have not encountered anyone yet who could tell a difference between Monoprice cables and Monster cables in audio set up. I had seen few people claiming that lossless is far superior to mp3s and in a blind test could not tell a difference... When people are told that they need to spend big money on things like USB cable to me it feels wrong I guess...

Nov 6, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #2,393 of 6,473
I love the origin story of the Jot... a circuit topology that defies standard logic but measures better than anything Schiit made before!

I have a feeling I'll be giving my brother my Magni 2U this Christmas if the Jot lives up to it's reputation. It can't arrive soon enough!

Quote:
  An ABX test is the most basic you can do to at least state with some authority that there's an actual difference.

Although a bit confrontational, you speak words of wisdom, I like this "ABX test", I had just been going back and forth to compare equipment but I like the idea of trying to identify while "blindfolded" to rule out placebo effects:

"An ABX test is a method of comparing two choices A subject is presented with two known samples (sample A, the first reference, and sample B, the second reference) followed by one unknown sample X that is randomly selected from either A or B. The subject is then required to identify X as either A or B. If X cannot be identified reliably with a low p-value in a predetermined number of trials, then the null hypothesis cannot be rejected and it cannot be proven that there is a perceptible difference between A and B."
- Wikipedia

Nov 6, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #2,394 of 6,473
My fault I guess. My apologies.

I personally have not encountered anyone yet who could tell a difference between Monoprice cables and Monster cables in audio set up. I had seen few people claiming that lossless is far superior to mp3s and in a blind test could not tell a difference... When people are told that they need to spend big money on things like USB cable to me it feels wrong I guess...

To be fair, monster cables aren't anything special anyway. I dont believe in digital cable upgrades past a certain point (you want good shielding and a decent gauge conductor for your application), but monoprice are probably better than monster as far as construction and quality goes.

Nov 6, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #2,395 of 6,473
Just got my Jot guys, and wondering what volume you guys are listening in, my setup is using the DPX1 to the Jot Dac then listening with the HD800S. Volume pot is on 10 o clock in playing cd quality files, i need to raise it to 11(even raising it to 12 on some recordings) when listening to 24/192 hdr vinyl rips to get to my listening level. This is on high gain and using balanced.

Just curious since it is stated that the Jot has so much power int it, and maybe its my hearing so chime in guys

I spent the afternoon over at an electronics friend's place. He converted my stock HD650 cable to balanced. He cut the 1/4 plug end about a foot back and put a female 4 pin balanced connector on it producing me a balanced to SE adaptor cable. Then he put a male 4 pin balanced connector on the freshly snipped stock HD650 cable. I also brought along my stock HE500 cable which he converted with another 4 pin balanced connector.

So for $20 I now have both of headphones converted to balanced, plus an adaptor cable to switch to SE if I so choose with my Jotunheim or LP G109S or Vali 2.

So balanced I have the HE500 at 11:00 and it's about as loud as I'd care to listen to them. The HD650's are set a little lower, around 10:00 to be as loud as the HE500's were.

As for this prolonged cable discussion, perhaps a separate thread should be created (if one doesn't already exist).

Nov 6, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #2,396 of 6,473
Hmm, I'm really enjoying my LCD-2 (aluminum) out of this unit (balanced) - more than the Focal Elear (single ended for now) - I really wasn't expecting that...

Nov 7, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #2,398 of 6,473
  Just got my Jot guys, and wondering what volume you guys are listening in, my setup is using the DPX1 to the Jot Dac then listening with the HD800S. Volume pot is on 10 o clock in playing cd quality files, i need to raise it to 11(even raising it to 12 on some recordings) when listening to 24/192 hdr vinyl rips to get to my listening level. This is on high gain and using balanced.

Just curious since it is stated that the Jot has so much power int it, and maybe its my hearing so chime in guys

on my AKG K712's, Too loud for me is about 1 oclock. i hover around 10-11 for general listening.

i mentioned this a few pages back, and also mentioned if the internal DAC is really giving a 2V signal to the amp.
i have a feeling my amp would be louder if i connect my old ext dac with 2v output

Nov 7, 2016 at 8:21 AM Post #2,399 of 6,473
I get zero turn on pop either. A few mechanical sounding pops and clicks from the unit itself though.

Nov 7, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #2,400 of 6,473
Just got my Jot and noticed that with no music playing when touching the chassis or the volume knob there is a noticeable hum. There is no sound unless touching the unit and I know that people have said that it could be a ground loop issue but wondering if anyone else has this issue with the Jot. It's funny that with the volume turned all the way up and touching the chassis there is no hiss or hum but only occurs at mid or low levels of volume on the control knob.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back